Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile I'm going to try

I have had the privilege of being a member of this group for quite a while. I suffer less than almost all of you warriors although some of the lasting gifts of WG are still prevalent, Neuropathy being the worst. Most of my lung issues right now are probably due to COPD and I am dealing with that. My numbers on the Leukemia side have come down very well and I have found a program where the medications don't affect me too much. After sitting at home for over three years and doing only gardening things really, I have taken a job with a big box warehouse locally. Part time, three or four days a week to start with and see how the old body holds up. I am excited and scared. I do from time to time get terrible cramping in my hands so I fear that happening but will have to work through it.
    This all came about when I had an issue with Social Security and I ended up speaking with a very nice lady in New York. I had previously been going through my folders and came upon a pamphlet titled "Working While Disabled". I read it twice and came to the conclusion that I/ we can work for nine months and make as much money as we want and still receive our benefits. This was concurred by New York. After nine months I/we can work for Seven Years and make up to $1130.00 a month. In the mean time if you reach your retirement age (66 for me) you automatically go off the Seven Year program and again can make as much money as you can and still receive your benefit.
    So I start Thursday and hoping for the best, I probably won't be on here as much and will miss you, my friends. Here we go!! Another Adventure......
    Dale
    Dx Aug, 2009 Remission June 2010 until 8/1/2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like you're gonna give life BW (before wegs) another shot. Hope it goes well for you. Let us know how you're doing!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great news Dale!

I hope you can fair pretty well.

Don't work "too hard" (-8
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get after it Dale...what else ya got to do?! Best to you friend!
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds good, Dale! I'm in the 7 year period, I guess, not having been employable or well enough to make more than I do now during the first 9 months. I can make up to a little over $1000 a month at my rinky-dink pottery business and still collect my SSD benefits.The $1000+ is after the cost of doing business, and I'm well within the limit. By the time I'm 66, I'll still be on the 7 year program, unless anyone should offer me a high paying job and I can go off it! What I've heard from other disabled people is when you get to your retirement age, they stop calling it disability and start just calling it Social Security, and it's the same dollar amount, and you continue to get Medicare even if you wouldn't normally be eligible for it yet without being disabled. It is so convoluted that I can't keep track of it and may have gotten some of it wrong. But it helps to have you lay it out the way you did, straight from the horse's mouth. I hope the job goes really well and that you enjoy it!
    Last edited by annekat; 06-01-2016 at 12:09 PM.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand any of it, being an Aussie, but it sure sounds like a plan to me

Best of luck with it, don't work too hard, and remember, I'm still waiting for you to come across the water and do my garden, if all else fails

Look forward to hearing how it's going, whenever you get a spare 5 miinutes
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mishb View Post
    I don't understand any of it, being an Aussie,
    I don't understand it either, Michelle, as an American.... I don't even remember hearing about the 9 month plan or the 7 year program.... I just thought I could make up to around $1000/mo. net and still collect, indefinitely, as long as I'm on disability. I didn't know that when I reach full retirement age I can make as much money as I want and still collect, I thought there'd still be a limit. These details are not easy to find on the website, last time I looked, and if you talk to a real person, it depends on whom. So I'm counting on Dale to have talked to the right person and gotten the correct info.

Do you have Judge Judy on your TV down there? She acts like anyone on disability must be so disabled that they can barely lift a finger, and if they are doing any actual work whatsoever, like fixing someone's plumbing or caring for someone's children in their home, they are cheating the system. She is wrong. She is entertaining and funny sometimes, but sometimes she makes me a little angry!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speedy recovery!
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
    in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.
    Proverbs 3: 5-6