Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm going to try

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vdub View Post
    A little off subject.... Did I happen to mention that I became an official MediCare person about a week ago. I'm not sure if I like it or not, but there isn't anything I can do about it, so I guess I better like it. I know the doctors don't like it.
    I found this transition to Medicare did affect my Health Care since some clinics don't like to work for pennies on the dollar and prefer the dimes on the dollar they got from other insurance companies. Mayo would not accept me for in-patient care years ago because I had just gone on Medicare for my primary insurance the week before and my BCBS became a secondary insurance coordinated with Medicare.

Finding doctors and clinics that accept Medicare low rates for full payment can be hard in some locales. Fortunately for me everyone does so far in our rural areas but I hear it can be tough in some bigger cities and on both coasts. Some will accept Medicare for partial payment but then expect you to pay the rest.

Going on Medicare did hit me hard though in getting diabetic supplies since almost all vendors dropped Medicare assignment after their last rate cut and I had to try at least three dozen vendors to find one that would accept their low rates of pennies on the dollar. I spent over 50 hours on the phone to do it. Only one pharmacy out of seven in town will accept Medicare assignment for my insulin.

Best wishes for better health soon.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    The doctors are going to have to get used to it. There are a lot of us, and more coming all the time. Happy Belated Birthday!
    Clinics and hospitals do try to adapt to having lot of Medicare patients but their low payment rates have serious impact on quality and availability of health care.

I noticed cut backs at the clinics I use except Mayo due to lower reimbursement forced by Obamacare this year.

Years ago most of our small town hospitals and clinics were forced to close because of Medicare lower payment rates. In rural areas where most patients were retired and on Medicare most smaller towns lost their hospitals and many lost their clinics and ended up with reduced services.

This was done deliberately in interest of efficiency and to reduce the cost of medical care. The official rationale was that due to better technology and transportation and better trained EMT and ambulance services it was not necessary to have a hospital at every small town and having larger hospitals that could be better equipped and better staffed at a further location was more cost efficient and could also provide a better level of care.

So now people often have to do 50-100 miles to get health care that they used to get a few miles away. Many patients miss dealing with local people that knew them personally but hopefully they generally get better care even though the wait to get the services is often longer and lacks the more personal touch of dealing with some one who knows you.
    Last edited by drz; 06-04-2016 at 09:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes , Happy Birthday Vdub......sorry I missed it. Hope next years is better for you ( on the road again !!! ) I will be able to get a senior discount on things next week !!!
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    Clinics and hospitals do try to adapt to having lot of Medicare patients but their low payment rates have serious impact on quality and availability of health care.

I noticed cut backs at the clinics I use except Mayo due to lower reimbursement forced by Obamacare this year.

Years ago most of our small town hospitals and clinics were forced to close because of Medicare lower payment rates. In rural areas where most patients were retired and on Medicare most smaller towns lost their hospitals and many lost their clinics and ended up with reduced services.

This was done deliberately in interest of efficiency and to reduce the cost of medical care. The official rationale was that due to better technology and transportation and better trained EMT and ambulance services it was not necessary to have a hospital at every small town and having larger hospitals that could be better equipped and better staffed at a further location was more cost efficient and could also provide a better level of care.

So now people often have to do 50-100 miles to get health care that they used to get a few miles away. Many patients miss dealing with local people that knew them personally but hopefully they generally get better care even though the wait to get the services is often longer and lacks the more personal touch of dealing with some one who knows you.
    My former boss who designed healthcare benefit plans said there are three factors to be considered when designing a health care plan: easy access, high quality, and low cost. You can only have two out of three...
    Last edited by Pete; 06-05-2016 at 10:46 PM.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    My former notes who designed healthcare benefit plans said there are three factors to be considered when designing a health care plan: easy access, high quality, and low cost. You can only have two out of three...
    I think you are lucky if you get 1 out of the three
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie C View Post
    I think you are lucky if you get 1 out of the three
    I guess I'm lucky. I have easy access and high quality. It's not cheap though!!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have two out of three, easy access and low cost.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On my lucky days I have all three. Maybe not low cost since I pay hefty premium to my insurance and some things are not always covered but most things are so there is little or no extra costs. So on my unlucky days I have none of the three. But generally I regard myself as pretty lucky in getting good health care but I do encounter so screw ups from time to time. Like having a doctor that failed to diagnose my broken ankle for over two months or the several doctors that failed to diagnose my hernia for several weeks. I ended up diagnosing both problems correctly myself and then finding a doctor to agree with or confirm my diagnosis so I could get the right treatment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    On my lucky days I have all three. Maybe not low cost since I pay hefty premium to my insurance and some things are not always covered but most things are so there is little or no extra costs. So on my unlucky days I have none of the three. But generally I regard myself as pretty lucky in getting good health care but I do encounter so screw ups from time to time. Like having a doctor that failed to diagnose my broken ankle for over two months or the several doctors that failed to diagnose my hernia for several weeks. I ended up diagnosing both problems correctly myself and then finding a doctor to agree with or confirm my diagnosis so I could get the right treatment.

Just wondering how your return to work has been. Good I hope!
    Gab
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
    in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.
    Proverbs 3: 5-6

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As most of you said, not to over do it I immediately went out and over did it. Because of the Neuropathy the sense of feeling in my feet is compromised. I did not feel the blister the size of Nebraska until it exploded, okay weeped. Finished my week and went to Urgent Care where they cut some away, dressed, (which we had been doing) and gave me some antibiotics. Wanted a follow up with wound care but everything seemed okay. Back now with a callous the size of Nebraska and a new pair of spongey sneakers. Actually the company is not scheduling me on purpose so as to take care of myself. Feeling good, going well. Thanks for the well wishes.
    Dale
    Dx Aug, 2009 Remission June 2010 until 8/1/2014

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast