Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm going to try

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, this is going to sound like the pot calling the kettle black ... but don't work too hard.

I can't even wrap my mind around Social Security, Disability, and Retirement. Not because I am still a baby, but just because whenever I try to find out about it ... I am lost. Beyondlost. Gone. Confused.
    Officially Diagnosed 07/31/2013

My blog: http://nikkinicolealison.com

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gilders View Post
    Sounds like a great plan. Just don't push yourself too hard especially with the amount of hours.
    The UK isn't set up well to return to work for a few hours. I returned to work after each relapse was under control. Unfortunately all benefits stop as soon as I returned to work. Therefore bills couldn't be paid unless I was working full time, which is what I quickly did. But this routine, I believe, was the cause of my frequent relapses. When I eventually had to quit work I had my longest period of remission. No coincidence in my opinion.
    I guess I should be thankful for the system here, but all the same, since my disability benefit isn't enough for me to live on, since I was never well-enough employed to pay a lot into the system, I need to supplement it with something. I've had some renters in RV's, but they aren't really supposed to be here according to county regulations, and that will cause me problems down the road. So it falls back to making and selling my pottery, which is labor intensive and stressful, so I end up never really quite getting into remission, though I'm not doing badly. I agree with your theory 100%, Pete.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiNicole View Post
    ok, this is going to sound like the pot calling the kettle black ... but don't work too hard.

I can't even wrap my mind around Social Security, Disability, and Retirement. Not because I am still a baby, but just because whenever I try to find out about it ... I am lost. Beyondlost. Gone. Confused.
    It is very confusing. I did my application online and it took me 6 months to even do it. Since I was in the throes of Wegener's, for one thing, and also because it is so confusing! I was lucky to have a local office with really nice people who called me as soon as I sent in my app and led me through the rest of the process, interviewing me on the phone and typing up the transcript in the most favorable way. I never even met them! And I never needed any special doctors' evaluations or anything. I listed my all my docs, and never even talked to any of them about it! I was 58 at the time, which probably helped, and was hardly making any money anyway, which I could blame on being sick for 2.5 years prior to diagnosis. And when approved, I got a hefty retroactive chunk for part of that time. I wish it could be that easy for everyone, but am afraid it isn't.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am so happy that you are able to go back to work....as long as you do not overdo it. The best news is that you feel well enough to do this. best of luck!!!
    Jacquie (aka Lifelong Booknut)

Updated status: "Honorary Weggie"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good news that you are feeling up to returning to work - as others have said be sure to take care of you! Are you starting with full shifts or partial hours?

I am truly happy for you Dale and think your new employer is lucky to have you join their company.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's good news Dale...hope everything "works" out for you !! But don't overdue it.
    Yea, I am with you Anne...all I know is I can make almost 1000.00 a month BUT the way the drs wrote me to be disabled was my immune system is suppressed and it is not good for me to be around people. Sooo I don't know if I got a job ,they would look at my disability different. And I don't know want I am going to get when I reach retirement age since I also get widows support. I don't know if that is taken away or not ?? Hell... I may not even be around at that point so I will worry about it then..all I need is a shack on the beach anyway and I'm a happy camper !!!
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie C View Post
    That's good news Dale...hope everything "works" out for you !! But don't overdue it.
    Yea, I am with you Anne...all I know is I can make almost 1000.00 a month BUT the way the drs wrote me to be disabled was my immune system is suppressed and it is not good for me to be around people. Sooo I don't know if I got a job ,they would look at my disability different. And I don't know want I am going to get when I reach retirement age since I also get widows support. I don't know if that is taken away or not ?? Hell... I may not even be around at that point so I will worry about it then..all I need is a shack on the beach anyway and I'm a happy camper !!!
    From the people I've known who have been transitioned from SSD to to regular SS, their benefit stays the same. I don't know anything about the widow's support, I guess it might have to do with where it comes from. But if you'll be getting the same amount that you get now when regular SS kicks in, then I shouldn't think the widow's support should be affected. Also, people can make lots of money from other sources that aren't considered "work", such as investments, rental income, selling homes or possessions (and then moving to a beach shack, in your case), inheriting money or other assets.... and still collect the same amount of SS. Your widow's support isn't "work", so shouldn't count against you. I do know that if a person of retirement age makes a certain amount of money, his SS benefits may be taxed, and he may not be entitled to any of the perks or breaks from the Medicare system that lower income people may get.

As for the immunosuppressed stuff, I think that would have some to do with most of us getting disability and don't know if mine was written up that way. But it certainly is true. I'm around the public a lot in an outdoor setting, the farmers market, but don't think I'd want to work in close indoor quarters with people who might be carrying bugs, such as an office or a school. But it is possible to get jobs that aren't that way or to have a home-based job or business. Good luck figuring it all out, and it sounds like you have the wait and see approach, like I do... less stressful than trying to understand it.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little off subject.... Did I happen to mention that I became an official MediCare person about a week ago. I'm not sure if I like it or not, but there isn't anything I can do about it, so I guess I better like it. I know the doctors don't like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy belated birthday, Vdub!! Hope you have many more with appropriately raucous celebrations!!!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vdub View Post
    A little off subject.... Did I happen to mention that I became an official MediCare person about a week ago. I'm not sure if I like it or not, but there isn't anything I can do about it, so I guess I better like it. I know the doctors don't like it.
    The doctors are going to have to get used to it. There are a lot of us, and more coming all the time. Happy Belated Birthday!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast