Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's Official!!!! RTX

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiNicole View Post
    I had all my labs done in preparation for the RTX on Friday but ... I have fallen ill w/ a massive chest/head whatever bug. I had my CRP test done and it is OFF THE CHARTS!!!!!!!!!! Is that from whatever bug I am fighting? It hasn't been that high in a LONG time. Like .... since WAY back in the beginning. But, my mind is telling me it's because I am sick. Like, cold sick, not Wegener's sick.
    What do my wise Weggies think??
    My doc hasn't seen the results yet because of the holiday weekend.
    Infections always raise my CRP levels. If they last along time then my ESR levels also go up.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Nikki.

First of all, good news on the RTX. It works. Your doc will advise you on what happens next given that you've come down with a bug. Have you consulted yet. Try not to be disappointed if the infusion is delayed. Infections and RTX do not make good bed mates. Marta just had her first of two infusions the day before yesterday. She had just gotten over a chest cold that she contracted about 10 days earlier so she had enough time to get through the cold before the drip. Her infusion went fine other than a bit of an allergic reaction during which they stopped the infusion for a period of time. As others have mentioned, most people have no issues but you should plan on having someone with you to drive because everyone reacts differently to some degree. I had to leave Marta in Edmonton for a few days (she is still there) and I came home with Hana. Her legs for some reason got crazy sore; sore enough that she actually outwardly exhibited pain and that seldom, if ever, happens.

Now that you are on the road to RTX things are going to get a whole lot better! Hang in there!

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikki, so sorry to hear you've picked up a bug/infection. I wouldn't advise RTX until your infection is sorted.
    I think I previously mentioned that everything has been great with my 7 or 8 infusions. Well I had my last infusion on Friday and I've also got a chest infection. This could not have come at a worse time. I'm obviously immunosuppressed at the moment, but my main concern is my kidneys. Even a mild infection can push my kidneys over the edge.
    The GP wanted to admit me into hospital this morning, but I persuaded her to let me have the blood tests at the hospital, come home and return to see her tomorrow morning. She agreed to this on condition that I admit myself if I deteriorate in the slightest. I believe, so long as I'm stable, home is a safer bug free zone compared to hospital.
    She also had to do a calculated risk with the meds as they can cause renal failure, but the risk is likely to be less than the risk of an out of control infection. The meds also interfere with my warfarin by increasing its potency. My INR level is already at the highest point in my range, so this needs to be kept a close eye on as I've previously had extreme bruising and bleeding.

If all that wasn't difficult enough to work around, I'm due to fly to Portugal in 4 days. This will probably be my last holiday for a long time as I won't travel abroad until at least 12 months after transplant. I need this holiday after a terrible few months including my health, my mum's cancer, losing my aunty and losing dog.
    Diagnosed April 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm on the downhill slope of the chest whatever it was. I feel a little run down but I am back at work and have been for three days. Stuff's moving out too for as much as I am coughing. I hope I would be fine.
    What would happen if I had it while having such a cold?
    Officially Diagnosed 07/31/2013

My blog: http://nikkinicolealison.com

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Viral infections like the common cold cause inflammation which can on rare occasions lead to organ damage.

Having flu, for example, increases by a third the risk of a heart attack. Secondary complications such as bacterial infection can also be potentially fatal.
    Add immunosuppression which is a result of RTX (or most other Wegs treatment ) and the risk of a mild infection becoming deadly is increased.

Glad to hear your infection seems to be improving
    I'm certainly no worse with my chest infection and maybe have improved a little.
    Diagnosed April 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope that both of you are getting better, Pete & Nikki. Sending many prayers to you.
    We can know if we are able to fight an infection according to the blood test of Igg. If it is below the normal then we cant fight it. My beautiful Phil had it very low, almost zero. Then he got Igiv which brought his Igg up to the notmal.
    Nikki, I guess it will also be better to check your wbc before tomorow, to make sure it is mormal.
    Good luck and please update us.
    Gilders, please let us know how you are doing.. I hope you can enjoy your vacation in Portugal and come back as good as new.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good news. Blood results were good - crp and white blood count good. Kidneys also coping with eGFR stable.
    Just need to make sure my INR isn't out of control in tomorrow's test. All looks like I'll be off to Portugal on Monday, just need to get INR checked whilst over there and liase with my local anticoagulation clinic.
    Diagnosed April 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gilders View Post
    Good news. Blood results were good - crp and white blood count good. Kidneys also coping with eGFR stable.
    Just need to make sure my INR isn't out of control in tomorrow's test. All looks like I'll be off to Portugal on Monday, just need to get INR checked whilst over there and liase with my local anticoagulation clinic.
    Great news. Thanks for sharing. Keeping you in my daily prayers ♡ please update us....
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My WBCs were fantastic when my chest infection was in full form, my CRP was the only test that was WAY off the charts. WBCs were totally normal. So I think I would be just fine to go ahead with it all.
    I am a wee bit nervous, just because of all the potential side effects. You know?
    Officially Diagnosed 07/31/2013

My blog: http://nikkinicolealison.com

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You got this!! No sweat!!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12