Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Vasculitis Foundation - VF Red Award

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Vasculitis Foundation - VF Red Award

I have the pleasure of announcing that the nurse practitioner that was instrumental in my diagnosis in 2012 has been awarded an honorable mention for the VF Red Award!

Back on March 9th, I nominated Kate Kinney, ACNP for the VF Red Award. A few weeks later, I received a note from Karen Hirsch, one of the VF board members, stating that Kate and another physician had enough 2nd place votes that they could not discount their high scores. They were, for the first time, going to generate two honorable mention awards, and they wanted me to present Kate's award. Kate is now the first non-physician to win the award!! So, my wife and I were on with the stealthy planning.

I had no idea how to pull off a surprise at the Monroe Clinic system, so I emailed the President and CEO, Mike Sanders. That same day, he replied, and we had an appointment scheduled with him and the VP of the institution, who is also the nursing director, Paula Elmer. We talked, and they thought it was a great idea and the party planning was now in progress. We finally settled for Wednesday, April 13th for the date. Karen Hirsch actually came to the party. Any physician and/or nurse that took care of me during my hospitalization in 2012 was invited, and were all in on the surprise. Kate, however, was still clueless about the party. We disguised the party to her as a party of a patient celebrating his 4 year discharge date anniversary (which was April 11th).

I started the party with general thank yous and went on to acknowledge my current health-care providers one by one. Kate was the last one on the list. When I got to her, I thanked her and told her I had a small token of my appreciation. All along, I've called Kate "My Little Bulldog", so I had a bulldog lapel pin in my pocket. She cried at the pin. When she started to walk away to sit down, I put my arm around her and told her that the party was a ruse, and that the party was really for her. I told her that I nominated her for the award, and Karen Hirsch from VF read the description of the award as well as her note to me telling me that Kate had won. So, Kate was in tears, and at this point, I presented her with the award.

KateKinney-VFRedAward.JPG

This was a huge feel good day! I heard so many times that day that people often complain, but rarely say thank you to their health-care teams. That said, get out there and say thank you during Vasculitis Awareness Month!

Enjoy your week everyone!
    Last edited by MikeG-2012; 05-03-2016 at 03:51 AM.
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great story, Mike!! A reminder to all of us to thank the health care providers who keep us healthy. Judging from the response (pleasant surprise) I got from Dr Villa Forte last week when I thanked her for taking great care of me, it doesn't happen often enough...
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Awesome!! Well done Mike on doing the nomination AND getting that party organised with secrecy. That's no easy effort. Well done and congratulations to Kate!
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was a very great thing to be a part of Mike. It sounds like she is a very caring and special healthcare professional. Thanks for sharing this feel good story with us.
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!