Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Kidney donors?

I went to Tampa Hospital Tuesday for my initial screening for the transplant program. The facts are these. Over 92,000 people in the US are awaiting kidney donors and 4000 will die this year waiting. The best results are obtained from living donors but 1% of living donors will die as a result of the procedure. OTOH living donors, quite rightly, have priority should they need a kidney later in life.

We have in the US an enormous pool of potential donors in our prisons. Mostly men serving long sentences with no realistic chance of ever getting out short of having their sentence commuted or being granted a pardon by the President or state Governor. Has any effort been made by the National Kidney Foundation or anyone else to set up a program whereby prison inmates could offer kidneys as part of a sentence reduction program or just a humanitarian gesture to impress a parole board?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a horrific idea, not to mention profoundly inhumane and unethical. Would you also permit clinical trials and other medical tests be offered next? And why stop at prisoners - why not include the hopelessly poor and the homeless as well, and offer cash rewards? And, like the case of Dr Wegener - since the Nazi camp inmates were condemned to a murderous death anyway, perhaps it wasn't really immoral to perform medical tests on them?

I hope you get the point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MaxD View Post
    This is a horrific idea, not to mention profoundly inhumane and unethical. Would you also permit clinical trials and other medical tests be offered next? And why stop at prisoners - why not include the hopelessly poor and the homeless as well, and offer cash rewards? And, like the case of Dr Wegener - since the Nazi camp inmates were condemned to a murderous death anyway, perhaps it wasn't really immoral to perform medical tests on them?

I hope you get the point.
    I don't think you do. There is a world of difference between 'volunatary' and forced donation although I admit I would also favor compulsory organ donation for condemned inmates. No point in letting them go to waste since they are to be put to death anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MaxD, I think you went a little over the top there. I personally don't see anything wrong with a prisoner "willing " to donate an organ on their own. I wouldn't offer them money or a reward for it but I am sure that what ever they did to end up in prison was pretty horrific and probably inhumane maybe this would be a way for them to make up for what they had done. Kinda like giving a life instead of taking one.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with Max --I'm going to take a hit on this, but I think some of us sorely need a basic ethics course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too see nothing wrong with voluntary donation by anyone, including prisoners, but would draw the line at any compulsory donation of organs by those condemned on death row. It is treating them like something less than human and denying them the right to make this decision on their own. They may have done something horrible to be on death row, but they still have rights to some autonomy as long as they are alive. (And let's not forget the people who have been wrongly put to death and their innocence proved later.)
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JeanMarie View Post
    I'm with Max --I'm going to take a hit on this, but I think some of us sorely need a basic ethics course.
    I am with you JeanMarie and with Max.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.