User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Kidney donors?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    see map location
    Posts
    4,124
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Interesting read about some of the issues discussedhere.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organ_...son_population
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    107
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Sangell,I am very sorry that you are in this terrible situation of needing a Kidney transplant.The numbers you have given in your opening thread for the odds of getting a kidney transplant are very sobering.I know this would be giving me a wide range of emotions if it were me.Will kidney dialysis help you.At age 64 which I believe you are,maybe you don't have any family members to donate a kidney to you.I will pray for you like many others on this forum.The idea of using a prisoner as a donor,other than the organ being donated to their own family member is much too complex for me to even consider.Good luck to you.Keith.
    Last edited by Titus3:2; 04-23-2016 at 02:02 AM.
    "Trust Thyself ".R.W.E

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Olympia, Washington
    Posts
    6,896
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Titus3:2 View Post
    Sangell,I am very sorry that you are in this terrible situation of needing a Kidney transplant.The numbers you have given in your opening thread for the odds of getting a kidney transplant are very sobering.I know this would be giving me a wide range of emotions if it were me.Will kidney dialysis help you.At age 58 which I believe you are,maybe you don't have any family members to donate a kidney to you.I will pray for you like many others on this forum.The idea of using a prisoner as a donor,other than a family member is much too complex for me to even consider.Good luck to you.Keith.
    I agree with this point of view, that the person in need of a transplant should be whom we are most concerned about here. I'm not under the impression that all family members would be suitable donors, though psychologically, that would be the most comfortable and least stressful situation. The one person I know who got a kidney transplant (not a weggie) was apparently unable to find a compatible one, or a willing donor, until a close non-related co-worker got tested and was found to be a match, and donated. I'm not sure if the issue is blood type, or what. I need to be educated. But 15 years later, that kidney is still going strong. I don't blame Sangell for trying to think of whatever ethical resources might exist for finding a new kidney. I would agree the prisoner idea would not be at the top of anyone's list, but if it's a matter of life and death, it might seem less of a negative. I pray that you find a good match, Sangell, and one that involves as little stress and complication as possible.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    England
    Posts
    764
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Average life expectancy for a 55 year old American is 26 years
    Average life expectancy for a 55 year old American on dialysis is only 5 years
    Average life expectancy for a 55 year old American with kidney transplant 15 years.

    Not only is dialysis a massive change in lifestyle which ranges from 3 days/week for a few hours to EVERY day a few times a day of treatment, dependant on which type of dialysis, but it doesn't prolong life that much.

    The mean average life expectancy for an American on dialysis is LESS THAN 3 years. This is due to many elderly who survive for a very short period on dialysis.

    If sangell was given the option of taking a donor kidney from a prisoner so that he could expect to live around 15 years in "relative" good health, or the option of being tied to a machine for his remaining few (5) years on earth, I would not have any ill feelings for him if he chose to accept a donor from a prisoner.

    I do wonder if the lack of people donating kidneys is due to the idea that the patient can go on dialysis, without the potential donor realising that dialysis isn't usually a permanent solution and just a bit of an inconvenience.

    Sangell, I'm still not with you on forcing deathrow inmates to donate, but can understand why you feel that way. I truly hope you get a transplant. Have you heard of pooling? If you have a friend or family member willing to donate, but aren't a match, your donor can offer there kidney to someone who has a match. All transplants are done at the same time and are swapped around. This greatly increases chances of a match. My wife has offered to do this for me. I am not in a good position asI have had many blood transfusions which means I have built up a large "database" of antibodies. Therefore a tissue match that my body won't fight against is going to be hard to find.
    Diagnosed April 1995

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    4,034
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    When my beautiful Phil was is the hospital in his last months on earth, we had few meetings with the transplant team, discussing the possibility of lung transplant. When Phil understood that the donor might be someone who's brain is considered to be "dead" and then they unplug the donor, Phil said that he prefer to die and not to be the one that for him, someone else was killed. Brain death is not death. There are many cases of recovery. Unplugging patient is killing him.
    I cried like hell when Phil said so. Not because I didnt agree with him, but because I understood, accepted, and knew, in pure conscience, that Phil was right. I cried like hell because I understood that my sweetie was dying with not much chance to heal him. As much as I miss him, as much as I want him to live and to be with me, I wouldnt want him to be responsible or participent in someone else's death. I think the same about myself.

    All people are equal. No one's life should be prefered over another one's life. No matter if it is a prisoner or a saint. We are not allowed to take other people's life. Unless it is a war and then one has no choice but to defend himself.

    I am always shocked from the fact that you, poor americans, have death sentence, which in itself seems unethical to me. The only time that there was death sentence in Israel, was for Eichman, the Nazi who was responsible for the death of millions jewish in aushweitz.

    Hang in there Sangell. They are working on 3 dimensional printed kidney or something like that.
    Last edited by Alysia; 04-21-2016 at 03:32 AM.
    Alysia
    dx 2008


    Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Olympia, Washington
    Posts
    6,896
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alysia View Post
    I am always shocked from the fact that you, poor americans, have death sentence, which in itself seems unethical to me. The only time that there was death sentence in Israel, was for Eichman, the Nazi who was responsible for the death of millions jewish in aushweitz.
    Alysia, as far as I know, having the death penalty or not is determined by the voters of each state. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that there was no death penalty in California for a number of years, and then it was voted back in at some point. That is why Charles Manson is still alive and I believe Sirhan Sirhan, the convicted assassin of Robert F. Kennedy. Both of them were sentenced to their prison terms when there was no death penalty in effect. I can't say I'm in favor of the death penalty, but we are skating on thin ice to discuss it much, because it does enter into the realm of politics and religion, or we could call it ethics, but in any case, it is potentially as controversial as either of those forbidden subjects, it seems to me.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    England
    Posts
    764
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Alysia, this thread is specific to kidney donation. The type of transplant Phil needed would indeed mean the living donor would have to die, but this is not the case with kidney donation.
    I have seen my nephrologist today and he is organising the pre dialysis team to visit my home to prepare me for dialysis. There is a lot of choices to be made in regard to which type of dialysis I should chose, but not are as effective as a transplant. I am not currently eligible for transplant as Wegeners needs to be fully in remission for at least 12 months.
    My wife is getting blood tests tomorrow to, hopefully, find she's compatible with me.
    She stole my heart......now I get her kidney! That's a fair deal!
    Diagnosed April 1995

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    4,034
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    Alysia, as far as I know, having the death penalty or not is determined by the voters of each state. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that there was no death penalty in California for a number of years, and then it was voted back in at some point. That is why Charles Manson is still alive and I believe Sirhan Sirhan, the convicted assassin of Robert F. Kennedy. Both of them were sentenced to their prison terms when there was no death penalty in effect. I can't say I'm in favor of the death penalty, but we are skating on thin ice to discuss it much, because it does enter into the realm of politics and religion, or we could call it ethics, but in any case, it is potentially as controversial as either of those forbidden subjects, it seems to me.
    Thanks for the info, Anne. I didnt realize its a political issue. Otherwise I would not write that. Sorry.
    Alysia
    dx 2008


    Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Olympia, Washington
    Posts
    6,896
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alysia View Post
    Thanks for the info, Anne. I didnt realize its a political issue. Otherwise I would not write that. Sorry.
    Really, no problem, Alysia. I just thought I'd try to nip it in the bud before a bunch of people started writing with their opinions on the death penalty. It could become a heated discussion.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    4,034
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gilders View Post
    Alysia, this thread is specific to kidney donation. The type of transplant Phil needed would indeed mean the living donor would have to die, but this is not the case with kidney donation.
    I have seen my nephrologist today and he is organising the pre dialysis team to visit my home to prepare me for dialysis. There is a lot of choices to be made in regard to which type of dialysis I should chose, but not are as effective as a transplant. I am not currently eligible for transplant as Wegeners needs to be fully in remission for at least 12 months.
    My wife is getting blood tests tomorrow to, hopefully, find she's compatible with me.
    She stole my heart......now I get her kidney! That's a fair deal!
    Dear Pete.
    I am so sorry that you will have to be back on dialysis. Who knows, maybe you will be able to recover from it like you did in the past ?
    I hope your wife can help. It will be so beautiful. I wish I could have share my lungs with my sweetie.
    I keep you in my prayers ♡
    Alysia
    dx 2008


    Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •