User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some love from my fellow Weggies (& advice!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Need some love from my fellow Weggies (& advice!)

Two weeks before my 26th birthday (which was about 2 weeks ago), my mom passed away from her battle with cancer. She told me about her cancer (of the lung) almost exactly a year before the day she died. It was Stage 3 and serious but she was tolerating her treatment fairly well. Her cancer didn't seem to be spreading but it wasn't going away either. She passed away in her sleep and we think it was likely a blood clot in her lung that caused her sudden death. I had about a year to come to terms with her being sick and I thought I knew what I was in for. I thought we would have more time. I told myself I knew she could die but I don't think I ever really believed it. I wish I did so many things differently in the last year of her life. She really was my best friend and I wish I had done a better job of being there for her. It was so hard to see her suffering and I think she was very afraid. At least, with her passing suddenly, it probably minimized the pain and anguish she had to feel in her life. I'm grateful for that but I miss her so much and I am trying not to focus on my regrets. She was such a huge part of my life and she was my biggest fan, best confidant, and the rock in my life when it came to my health problems. She spent countless hours researching autoimmune illnesses when I was first showing my strange symptoms in high school. She would quote studies to my doctors or test out theories with them. She talked me through the emotional aspects of my illness and paid extra money for me to get my hair done when I was 17 and was feeling down about prednisone's moon face, acne, and weight gain. She probably read this forum because I know she knew about it and I know she donated money to it at some point. She is the greatest woman I've ever known and my world feels completely different without her. To say I'm devastated is really an understatement. It's been a month already and I still feel like I'm moving in slow motion.

All that said, between this and my Wegeners, I don't think I can continue with my full time job. I work in a grants administration office in a medical school and I was thinking about leaving in the past year already. I really want to focus on careers in writing (of any kind, I just love to write) and I have been having trouble finding full time jobs in those areas. It seems a lot of people start with contract work and part time work to build experience and then transition into full time roles. What I want most right now is to move back to my parent's house and live there for awhile, the plan right now is to stay there for a year and see where I'm at next summer. I can help my dad maintain their large house and go through some of my mom's things and, in exchange, he wouldn't charge me rent. So, I think now is the best time for me to try doing contract and part time writing work to build up experience in the field I really want to work in. My only problem with this is I would likely need to buy my own health insurance. I'm hoping some of you can provide advice about self-employment or buying your own health insurance. Has anyone done this? Has it provided any obstacles for you in terms of maintaining high quality health care? I am in the U.S. so I'm particularly interested in those of you who live in America. I know healthcare can vary greatly between countries. I'm a little scared about making this leap but I think it's both what I need and what I want right now. As you all know, however, it's very important for the chronically ill to have good health insurance. The main hurdle I see at this point is being disappointed in the health care options available for me if I choose to go this route. Please let me know if you have any advice! (or know of any writing contract jobs )
    Last edited by jlove; 04-08-2016 at 05:14 AM.
    Diagnosed October 2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello jlove,

I'm sorry to hear about your Mom. You'll never forget her. Sometimes, you'll find yourself sounding just like her - and not know whether to laugh or cry. Be thankful for her guidance and example. Don't beat yourself up about what you coulda/shoulda done. You can't change that.

I applaud your desire to get into writing. There will be challenges. You'll persevere your way through them. In the meantime, as you seek a career in writing - start writing! My son did a blog about Porsches, stick shifts, and fun automotive experiences. He was doing fine until baby #3 appeared. As a stay at home dad, he has his hands full (All three kids are under 5.)

As for health insurance, you might want to look into Obamacare. You may qualify for a subsidy that would make health insurance more affordable. You can get coverage. The question is how much it will cost.

Hope you progress well with your plan and that wegs leaves you alone. Good luck!!!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear jlove, please accept my condolences on the loss of your wonderful mom. It sounds to me like you are handling it about as well as anyone would. It is just never easy. I agree with Pete that you should not beat yourself up over what you could have done. These are all normal reactions, though. I think moving in with your dad and helping him with taking care of his house, and your mom's things, sounds like a very good idea. I'm not totally clear on whether this would mean quitting your job, but if so, maybe it is time. You are obviously a good writer and those skills are marketable, I think, and such jobs could be done from home. Having no rent for awhile would be a plus.

As for health insurance, I'm on Medicare because I'm on SS disability, due to Wegeners, and I had no trouble getting this, and was likely helped by my age, 58 at the time and 63 now. My premium for Original Medicare, with parts A and B, is a little over $100 a month, and it is taken out of my benefit payment. There are more expensive Medicare plans with more coverage and out of pocket limits.My Part D drug plan is $33.50 a month, with no deductible. I have no other insurance, but when I turn 65 will be eligible for some supplemental plans that I am not now. From what I've read on here, disability benefits are harder to get at a younger age. But with your work record, you might be qualified for a better amount than some, due to having paid more into the system, if you could qualify.

If I was in your position, I would probably follow Pete's suggestion and look into the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare). If you are not working, or only minimally, I'd think you'd qualify for a low premium. But I don't really know how it works.

Best wishes to you and your dad and any other family members and friends, in coming to terms with your mom's passing and finding support, comfort, and eventually peace. I know you will all be there for each other.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to write on a contract basis, i think I sould contact Marta for some advice. Marta is an old time forum member and has written articles as well as a blog. Not to mention she is a great gal. She lives in Jasper, BC and runs a B&B. Writing is just a side line, but I'm sure she'd like to point you in the right (write?) direction. Just PM "marta".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for the loss of your Mother. Take time to remember the good times and gradually a smile will cross your face daily. Perhaps you could file for SSDI benefits due to WG. I was able to get it at 61 and as Anne said I have medicare taken out monthly automatically. It would be worth a shot and fill the financial gap and you can always go off of it if you are making money again. Best to you,
    Dale
    Dx Aug, 2009 Remission June 2010 until 8/1/2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Jlove. I am so sorry for the lost of your mother. I believe that the soul continues to exist after death, in the presence of God. I know that. Since he passed on Oct 2, 2014, my beautiful Phil gives me many proofs that his pure soul is very alive. I talk to him a lot in my heart and many times he gives me an answer. Like asking him a question, going to sleep and then in my sleep he comes for a visit and telling me the answer. An answer that I could have never find out in any other way. He also sends me some gifts of his sweet eternal love from time to time.
    So look around you, talk to your mother in your heart, tell her whatever you feel like, reconcile with her, ask her to visit you in your dreams, to protect you, to guide you, to tell you about her love for you. Be attentive to her answers. And let her love embrace you all days.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another forum member who has done contract writing is Carrie22. Like Marta, she doesn't post here as often as she used to, but is a nice person, and I'm sure wouldn't mind getting a PM from you about the subject.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am so sorry that you lost your Mother recently. As others here have pointed out, don't beat yourself up about what you should have done. I went thru those thoughts when my Father passed away, I think that those are normal feelings. I think you moving in with you Dad is probably good for you and him.
    Have you checked with the college that you currently work at, to see if there might be contracted writers in some of the departments at the school? I am wishing you all the best with your future plans. Take care
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our area has local writers groups that meet to discuss their writing and to offer supportive help to each other. Some have got their work published. Is there any group like that in your area?
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be very cautious about losing your private healthcare. Don't know your age or the plan you have from work but if you work at a med school I don't imagine it is a bare bones policy. There is COBRA that allows you to keep an employer provided policy for, I believe, 18 months but you have to pay the entire cost. In my case I had retired from a municipal utility job ( at age 58) and the city is paying about $1000 per month while I contribute $340. Its from CIGNA and if not a 'Cadillac' policy it is better than Obamacare policies with their deductibles. Still, with renal failure and dialysis part of my life since November, my costs have been substantial. Fortunately, after a 90 day 'waiting period' you become eligible for medicare ( I'm not yet 65) if you have renal failure and Medicare and Cigna now o share the cost of dialysis which I suspect are enormous but it doesn't appear to cover things unrelated to Wegeners. At least some doctors and hospital billing clerks seem to think so. Whether this special Medicare 'exemption' for kidney failure applies to other Wegener related conditions might be something to look into.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast