Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: bone anchored hearing aids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    How are you at locating the source of a sound?
    Not very good but I am much better of hearing something than before so I can search for the source of the sound. Before the BAHA I just stonewalled a lot things said to me since I never heard them. I have to get help to find a sound in a car that's bugging me if I hear it at all.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    Not very good but I am much better of hearing something than before so I can search for the source of the sound. Before the BAHA I just stonewalled a lot things said to me since I never heard them. I have to get help to find a sound in a car that's bugging me if I hear it at all.
    Oh, yeah, sounds in a car are definitely an issue. Sometimes I'll hear weird sounds coming from other cars, especially if my windows are open, but can't tell if it's coming from my car and have to wait until there's more separation between me and that other car.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sound location is completely impossible for me, with or without my in-ear hearing aid. Still researching the bone anchored thing; really not excited about any invasive procedure and it seems like not everyone gets a great result.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskatom View Post
    Sound location is completely impossible for me, with or without my in-ear hearing aid. Still researching the bone anchored thing; really not excited about any invasive procedure and it seems like not everyone gets a great result.
    I also don't much like the idea of drilling and screwing something into my skull. There is another system for unilateral hearing loss called the Cros system, which is more like regular hearing aids, but sounds going into the bad ear can be transmitted to the good ear. I think advances have been made and there are more adjustments for different situations than there used to be. There's lots on google about it, including sites of the more well-known brands, with some good explanations of how it works. I have a brochure on it but my audiologist was pushing the BAHA because there is some Medicare coverage, while there isn't for this. You might want to take a look at the wiki entry and then look at the other sites that go into more detail: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CROS_hearing_aid I realize you may already have heard of this.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    I also don't much like the idea of drilling and screwing something into my skull. There is another system for unilateral hearing loss called the Cros system, which is more like regular hearing aids, but sounds going into the bad ear can be transmitted to the good ear. I think advances have been made and there are more adjustments for different situations than there used to be. There's lots on google about it, including sites of the more well-known brands, with some good explanations of how it works. I have a brochure on it but my audiologist was pushing the BAHA because there is some Medicare coverage, while there isn't for this. You might want to take a look at the wiki entry and then look at the other sites that go into more detail: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CROS_hearing_aid I realize you may already have heard of this.
    Thanks Anne, I had not heard of the CROS system. I've looked at some of the info on line and will definitely check into it further. If anyone on the forum has used CROS I'd be interested in comments.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123