Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lost lots of teeth from prednisone

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lost lots of teeth from prednisone

Quick history : diagnosed with GPA Jan 2014 with biopsies taken from both ears during mastoidectomies. Have been on so many of the pill therapies (cytoxin, methyl, imuran, prednisone 100+mg now down to 15mg daily since Dec 2015) and going to do my 5th Rituxan in May (been doing it every 4 months) and still have not been in remission once....and too much to explain that has happened in between to type out (smh)

Was told by my rheumatologist that steroids can cause gums to recede. Because of that, lots of my teeth broke off and fell out at the gum line. I can still see what's left of them in the gums. I didn't want to go to my dentist yet because they're still falling out, I'm not in remission yet. And I have to be honest, I'm so scared because I'm probably going to have to get dentures and do lots of work on my gums that I'm going to beg to be knocked out.

Has anyone else had /have this experience and know what kind of options I have? Thanks for taking the time to read this 👍😷 I'm so embarrassed...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry I can't help with experience in this issue of wegener's, but I want to assure you that you don't need to feel embarrassed. We have all been through a lot and understand how you feel.
    Arleta

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    ----Arleta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks Arleta ��

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, Had, I do! I must point out, wegeners itself can wreak havok on the teeth and gums, and bone... Its hard figuring out, what's what, but I can do this easy, because I'm not on pred! I am however on my own natural pred, due to a adrenal disease, so a little history... My destruction was purely wegs, and it took out my bottom teeth, with the gum and bone! I envy you, you still have bone and gum... I however could never do a denture, as there's nothing to adhere to... Thank God, my top are all there! For now... Also thankful for a small mouth, though that's up for debate! Jax, it could be a combo here, but in my opinion only, its more the way the disease is presenting itself... I feel for you, it really bites! Pretty soon, I may not be able to! Mine all happened in about eight months, so very rapid... Like to point out, I was ocd about my teeth, and had professional cleanings every six months, sometimes more! Thank God, I have my records to prove this all... Never had a tooth issue in my life... I predicted this to my doctors and dentist down to the detail... Good luck, I feel ya, here... Debra...
    Live,love,and laugh...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Debra! It helps knowing I'm not alone. I lost a dozen teeth and have 6 left in bad shape. It doesn't help at all that because of wegeners, when I catch an infection of some kind, nausea and vomiting are right around the corner. And I have a tracheostomy since Dec 2014 so acid reflux is an issue that doesn't help. When I got diagnosed I was in the middle of getting 2 implants in my upper right so I have 2 titanium screws in there waiting but I don't think they're any good because there's no tooth now to anchor it and make a bridge..... I rarely leave the house to avoid infections but when I need to see my doctors I do, and I cannot stand the way people stare at me. Sadly the adults are worse than the children! Oh yeah I have osteoporosis, aortitis, cataracts in both eyes, gained 100lbs but lost 75 all because of steroids too. Yet it's the only thing helping to keep my sanity while my wegeners is active because without it and my pain meds for my ears, my ear pain can get down right brutal when there's inflammation in there. But I'm very fortunate that I was diagnosed rather early and haven't had organ failure nor my nose collapse phew like I said, thank you for sharing your experience with me. I'm grateful. And I hope it turns out well for you ��

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jax, youre very welcome... I thank God for leading me to this forum, back just about four years now, and when i read teeth problems i was connecting the dots, along with every weird symptom, finally being validated! Validation is huge! I felt nuts... Most here from what i read where associating any teeth problems with the meds, and all the while i was thinking its the disease. To be fair, its both... Seeing i was on no meds it was pretty easy to decifer... Jax, there are only a few with mouth involvement here, and just knowing youre not alone, helps alot... Congradulations on youre weight loss, thats awesome! Jax, you have vompany here and i feel ya, totally... Best to you... Debra...
    Live,love,and laugh...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many years ago when I first developed wg my teeth got very loose , gums inflamed and my tongue turned black. With treatment my mouth improved. I hope yours heals up soon with the treatment you are getting. When I was at my worst my doc sent to a dental school to get looked at and get worked on. My insurance does not cover dental and this was less expensive than other alternatives.
    I know what it is like to be embarressed by what wg and the meds have done. Hopefully you have family and friends to spend time with. Of course , you have this forum too

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes validation is everything. Especially when we suffer on a daily basis and connecting the dots isn't as simple as we'd like. If I want good care, I need to travel to oahu, the main island. Because out on the big island care is so lacking and strip to the emergency room feels like I have to convince another group of people what I have is real and something is going on despite routine blood tests. If my husband isn't with me as an advocate I get treated badly and am forgotten.

So I too thank God for leading me to all of you and I pray all is well for you Debra and your loved ones. We'll keep encouraging one another. Alohas ��

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THANKS ME2! I'M very fortunate for my family. Especially my husband. He hasn't run for the hills yet since I've been diagnosed. And that is a great option going to a dental college. Insurance doesn't pay for much either here. The ravages of wegeners is very depressing. There are days I don't want to look at myself in the mirror because I don't recognize myself anymore. The mastoiditis in my right ear ate most of the bone that protects the facial nerve and the nerve itself and that's why I'm holding up my face in my avatar pic. Luckily, most of the nerve grew back but it's still noticeable. But I'm so glad and thankful that my nose didn't collapse like many wegeners patients do.and right now in this very moment things are uneventful physically. And I know I gotta take advantage of that and keep riding the positive vibe I'm on. Thanks again ME2

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jax, hi... I meant to ask, did you have any pain with youre mouth involvement? I ask because i had none, whatsoever, and this just seems odd... I guess when you think in terms of tissue death, not so odd afterall... Jax i totally get it, not liking mirrors ect, but beauty is within, and although it sounds corney most will come to realize its really true. So in that said, you have nothing to worry about! Support is so important, and God willing, i will be here for a bit... I will be watching this thread, and hope to see you posting through out... Best of luck, again... Me2, nice seeing you and i remember you having mouth involvement as well... Debra...
    Live,love,and laugh...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast