Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lost lots of teeth from prednisone

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is interesting. I hadn't heard of tooth loss as a pred side effect before, but thinking back over the last 6 years, I've had 3 teeth simply split in half and need the $1,000 caps (aaaargggh). I thought it was just old age and I think my dentist believes that, too. When the tooth split there was still enough of it remaining to act as an anchor for the cap, so that makes me think it was an old age issue for me.

I tried to find some research on the subject, but came up empty. However, I did see a lot of notional info concerning pred and tooth loss. I guess the jury is still out on whether it is considered an official side-effect. Maybe it is actually an erosion of the bone around the tooth like Jax has rather than erosion of the tooth itself. I will have to ask my dentist the next time I have an apt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vdub, I have an article that explains how and why wegeners effects the teeth, but unfotunately, I can't upload here. If you want to contact me off list, I can send it and you can post it. It warns that the dentist may be the first to recognize wegeners. Sudden, unexplained dramatic changes in gum and tooth health, according to the article should be suspect in wegeners. Gum disease not due to vasculitis will show years in advance... Makes sense. Pred weakens the bone, as you know, so in turn can effect the teeth, I'm pretty sure it must say this on it. Interestingly the tooth itself, is made up of three materials, one being pulp, the other being blood vessels, so it makes perfect sense since wegeners is a disease of the small and medium blood vessels, that teeth would be a target... I was ocd about my teeth, cleaning every six months, sometimes more and no issues whatsoever. Two months after my cleaning, when, hell broke lose, my gums were suddenly strawberry gingivitis. The change in my teeth and gum, was so dramatic that my dentist was completely horrified! Within eight months, it took all the bottom, with the gum with a lot of bone. No pred... The article is in mysaved folder... Like Drz said, and I agree, mine seemed to disintegrate! Simply horrifying... Debra...
    Live,love,and laugh...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why wegeners effects the teeth
    I was searching for preds effect on teeth and didn't see anything, but it does effect the bone. Searching on "wegeners tooth loss", I find some articles. It does make sense that wegs would effect tooth loss. I hadn't really considered it before. Not a good disease to have.
    Oral features of Wegener's granulomatosis. - PubMed - NCBI

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Deb. The psychosis was proven without doubt. Long story and was very traumatic for me.
    I don't know about the teeth really. I can't remember as it was 4 years ago and so much has happened since.
    I know one of the more serious side effects is psychiatric disturbances they call it.
    All the drugs seem to have some horrible effect on me. Must be a bit weak inside or something. Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pj, my friend, I know! This horrifys me, cause I'm crazy enough naturally! Ya, the mental effects scare me. I totally agree and its a proven side effect of pred. I wish you all the best, this disease trully sucks! Debra...
    Live,love,and laugh...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vdub View Post
    I was searching for preds effect on teeth and didn't see anything, but it does effect the bone. Searching on "wegeners tooth loss", I find some articles. It does make sense that wegs would effect tooth loss. I hadn't really considered it before. Not a good disease to have.
    Oral features of Wegener's granulomatosis. - PubMed - NCBI
    Scarey but logical that Wegs could also start in one's mouth and stay there for awhile just like it can start and remain in the sinuses.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The sinuses affect the teeth and the teeth affect the sinuses. My experience has been if a tooth needs a root canal, get it pulled and have an implant placed. I've been through too many failed root canals and failed endodontics trying to fix the failed root canals that just led me to getting the teeth pulled anyway. I love my tooth implants!! I can't say this enough, I wish I would have had implants placed 10 years before I did. I love my tooth implants!! For the cost, I'd skip the whole root canal and just spend the money getting the tooth pulled and getting an implant placed. Implants look and function just like normal teeth. I can eat steak, corn on the cob, anything I want without a problem. They get brushed and cleaned like normal teeth, they do not come out like dentures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PANDASmomx2 View Post
    The sinuses affect the teeth and the teeth affect the sinuses. My experience has been if a tooth needs a root canal, get it pulled and have an implant placed. I've been through too many failed root canals and failed endodontics trying to fix the failed root canals that just led me to getting the teeth pulled anyway. I love my tooth implants!! I can't say this enough, I wish I would have had implants placed 10 years before I did. I love my tooth implants!! For the cost, I'd skip the whole root canal and just spend the money getting the tooth pulled and getting an implant placed. Implants look and function just like normal teeth. I can eat steak, corn on the cob, anything I want without a problem. They get brushed and cleaned like normal teeth, they do not come out like dentures.
    My dentist would never consider doing an implant on me because of the damage Wegs has done and the risks of infection from suppressed immune system, fear of rejection by jaw bone, possible problems with healing because of osteoporosis caused by Wegs and medicine, etc so I have the root canals when necessary and then they get pulled when they fail. Eventually it might be false teeth when too many are missing. Most of them are capped as they disintegrate and rot away from cavities even though the dentist see me often and they are cleaned three or four times a year and dental bills are huge. For me this is one of the big changes from Wegs.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123