Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lost lots of teeth from prednisone

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your husband sounds great. Looking at your avatar I assumed 'Jax' was HIM. It's a nice photo of both of you.
    I think if you read here for a while and talk with people you will start to absorb what we call "the new normal". Many of us here have had to adapt to a changed life because of wegener's.
    I myself have had the illness for about 37 years. I have written volumes here about my adventures so I won't take up your time with that. The good news is that life goes on.

The old saying "when one door is closed , another is opened" certainly applies. Some times it takes a while to find the other door. That is when it can be a bit depressing. But, having been through many , many things I can say with certainty something new is born from each thing that seems to pass away. Keep on doing whatever it is that is feeding your positive vibe.
    Enjoy the fact that things are rather uneventful for you right now. I am doing something like that myself.

Just three days ago I was in the hospital getting trachael dilation for the third time (over several years) and today I did some gardening. Talked to my chickens. Talked to a neighbor.
    I had a good day today in part because I have gotten better (not perfect) at taking a day at a time.

We had another beautiful soul in our group named Barbara. I remember that she too found that kids were easier to be around. So, lets hang around more kids.

Right now I am trying to loose prednisone weight too. You are an inspiration and I will think of you this week as I work my program. I love the line from an Anthony Hopkins movie
    (make a gender adjustment ) "What one man can do - another man can do" We can do a LOT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always inspired and impressed by your comments Me2.

Best wishes Fran.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Fran.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jax, for better or worse, I now have false teeth cuz of the pred doses early on. Like you, I had large ones in the hospital, then backed off, then weaned off over a course of 3 years. In the duration, my teeth started going from just OK (years of soft water!) to breaking & falling out. I opted for false teeth cuz of the risk of infection installing separate teeth, especially the uppers as holes can be poked from the insertion of the new teeth into the jaw line and into the sinus area...NO infections. The false teeth are still a work in progress, but no more broken teeth or such. Best to you.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Jax,
    I feel for you too! Wegs has changed many people's appearances...
    I was on pred (60mg) from Oct 2014 until I tapered off in May 2015. During this short time I noticed that my front lower teeth had changed shape. My first visit after my diagnosis confirmed my fears and in the fall of 2015 my dentist installed an appliance (almost like reverse braces) behind my lower front teeth and secured it to my bicuspids (eye teeth) in order to strenghten my front teeth. My dentist assured me that with today's technologies there are a lot of options when disease or meds affect teeth and gums (as long as you have the $$$!).
    I understand your embarrasment! After my diag I gained a lot of weight with pred and when I glanced at a mirror I was shocked for quite a while because I looked so bloated!! I didn't recognize myself. When I went back to work I was really self-conscious, but the puffiness finally receded and the weight is slowly (and I mean painfully slowly!) coming off. I was very fit before being diagnosed so the new normal has been difficult to adjust to... I've now started to slowly work-out and still trying to lose more weight. My outlook on life has changed - I really enjoy the simple things and cherish the support I've received over the last year from my family and friends. The support here is great and people understand what you are going through. Stay strong! Erin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dental problems are common with Wegs. I have had many (most) teeth capped, lost one to infection, and am also getting cavities under the crowns as the gums recede. I also have diabetes which along which causes dry mouth which started wrecking havoc with my teeth even before Wegs and pred increased the damage. The problems with calcium absorption even with the Fosamax and extra calcium seem to make the teeth brittle and they often just disintegrate while eating something soft. I have been told by my dentist that implants are out because of the risk of infection and poor jaw bones now. Gum problems and sores in mouth are also very common with Wegs. I was told to find a good dentist and see them often so I average about six or seven visits a year for cleaning and repair work. Since good dental insurance is very rare, my dental costs are usually more than my umpteeen meds since they have some drug coverage to help.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disintergrate, is exactly what hapoened before the bottom fell out Drz! When mentioning this, the doctor and dentist thought I was nuts! I could see and feel it... Things i. Didnt think were scientifically possible, turns out they are... Wow, what a trip... Seriouse, nothing would surprise me anymore... Debra...
    Live,love,and laugh...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Jax,
    same here. Almost all of the fillings in my teeth fell out and I lost 3 major teeth through infection. I now can't chew anything on the right side and have only 1 tooth on left upper I can use.
    It was the predisolone. Nasty, horrible drug. Gives me psychosis as well. That's fun. Walking, talking but not there!!
    i have never bothered fixing my teeth. Firstly I hate dentist and second, it will likely happen again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pj, hi. I was curious how you know its from the pred? I ask, because I'm not on pred, just my natural supply in excess due to adrenal disease. Nevertheless, never been on pred, and all my mouth involvement happened very very rapidly, during a flare... It's easy for me to know what's what, because I'm one of the few here, not treated... Also, although slightly off topic, I remember hair topics, how people thought it was the meds, causing hair loss and texture changes, in my opinion its both, because this happened to me, again very rapidly during this flare... Interesting stuff, and very horrifying... Debra...
    Live,love,and laugh...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wegs can also cause mouth and gum problems that wreck your teeth like infections, dry mouth, and fragile teeth from lack of calcium absorption. It takes frequent good dental care to try help keep these under control and minimize dental problems.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast