Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This is totally off-topic !!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best way to have a secure facebook account is to not have one in the first place. Facebook is just plain bad. Its a terrible innovation that opens up way too much personal information that can't easily be retracted once its on the internet. The only people who should love facebook are employers who want to see what their future emplyee is really like. My advice is the same as I give to all my family and friends -- stay away from facebook.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Debs,

So sorry to read your news, I totally agree with you, why dont these people get a life!!

I do try and keep my computer protection up to date and never touch those "dodgy looking" emails and posts, however even that wasnt enough as during our holiday to Australia and New Zealand last November, someone hacked my credit card and skimmed off £2500 whilst we were away.

To this day I have no idea as to how they did that. I spoke to my bank when we returned and they reimbursed me totally which was good news! However enen they struggled to work out how the fraud had occured.

Losing money is one thing but when you lose irreplaceable items like family photos then thats something else. Hope you get something sorted real soon, I miss your comments!!

P.S Andrew thanks for the info, there seems to be a plague of I.D theft on FB at this moment. One thing I was told was not to Copy and Paste items but that it was safer to "share". Is that an old wives tale??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I was told was not to Copy and Paste items but that it was safer to "share". Is that an old wives tale??
    I'm not that familiar with "sharing", but ordinarily you shouldn't have a problem with cutting and pasting. I can't envision a situation where cutting and pasting would be bad except for the very obvious things that should be readily apparent.

Sometimes, just as a way to clean things up and strip odd characters or different fonts, I'll cut and paste through Notebook. That is, cut your item, paste into notebook (everything stripped), then cut and paste wherever you want it to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well no luck with fb getting back with me. I keep getting texts on my phone now to enter a 5 digit code to retrieve my account, well fb is supposed to e-mail a 6 digit # ,so now these people are texting me ! UGH !!!!!!!!!! I blocked them from my phone. I think as much as I hate to I may just try to shut down the account I'll miss my friends and our jokes.

Dale, I have a LG desktop that this happened on, I also have a Samsung laptop and an Android tablet... no problems on those ..yet !

Ohhhhh I just heard on the news that it is national nap day since we had to change the clocks ( so we have a good reason to take a nap today ) Its kinda of a must. Except for you Don !! I don't know ,do they change the clocks in other countries or is it just us.
    Last edited by vdub; 03-15-2016 at 08:22 AM.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A 'cut & paste' item can be 'hacked', copied, lost, etc. Whilst a 'shared' item is protected by the machines involved & their particular protection & transmission schemes. Is it dangerous, no, just a bit of geeky paranoia...we're playing an odds game in the world of the Internet...large numbers is the only thing that protects us there! Best to all the geeks!
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deb, you could set up another account using an alias name, or a variation of your real name... but it would be a shame to lose the photos and private messages you already have on there, as well as recent posts that you may have wanted to revisit. I guess if I were you, I'd keep waiting for that email from Facebook with the 6 digit number. I wonder how those hackers got your phone #?
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Debra C View Post
    Well no luck with fb getting back with me. I keep getting texts on my phone now to enter a 5 digit code to retrieve my account, well fb is supposed to e-mail a 6 digit # ,so now these people are texting me !
    Try this link: https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/174964429275926

Might get things going. Never heard of a five-digit code. Always been six for me.
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Andrew, I tried that one last night but I just did it again. They say at the bottom that although they do not respond to everyone they will try to look into the problem I knew that 5 digit code was a scam also ,that's why I responded back and said I needed 6 #'s They again sent me the same 5 and a long fb address to go to.............NOT !
    Anne,they got my phone when I responded to an e-mail. I blocked them from calling
    I called the post office since they sent me two checks to cash, so they can also get my bank account ( which I didn't do ) and I called the 3 credit agencies along with my credit card co. so I think I am covered. I JUST want my fb back now !!!!!! What a pain in the a** this has been. I learned my lesson. That's why I hate looking at my e-mails.........no more !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I NEED my nap now

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, they really got complicated.... sending you checks to cash so they'd get your bank account# ? This seems to go way beyond FB. But I guess that is how it started. I will be very careful what I do on there. No stupid quizzes, vasculitis info links, or new friends of friends. It's very sad it has come to this. And how did they get your mailing address to send the checks to, or was it some kind of online thing?
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast