User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Azathioprine (Immuran): Do you take it? Would like to get off, but doc says no!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Azathioprine (Immuran): Do you take it? Would like to get off, but doc says no!

I only take .25mg. I pray it never changes. I'm lucky it's not more. But...
    I have been on it 4 yrs(?). I asked: "How about every other day, or maybe one week on, one week off." Sometimes I think I will be fine without it, but he wants to keep well enough alone.
    I read the cautions and get scared. It's not that the med itself can cause such things as cancer (I'm guessing), but because of one's reduced immune system.
    Sure thought he would work with me in some way.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBEY32 View Post
    I only take .25mg. I pray it never changes. I'm lucky it's not more. But...
    I have been on it 4 yrs(?). I asked: "How about every other day, or maybe one week on, one week off." Sometimes I think I will be fine without it, but he wants to keep well enough alone.
    I read the cautions and get scared. It's not that the med itself can cause such things as cancer (I'm guessing), but because of one's reduced immune system.
    Sure thought he would work with me in some way.

David
    I take 175 MG daily for past five years. My doctors anticipate I will be on it till either I need RTX for a serious flare, or they find a cure for WEGS, or my liver fails, or I die. So far it seems to be working OK for me.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

David, are you sure you're only taking 0.25 mg? I think it only comes in 50 mg tabs. Compared to drz's dosage, 0.25 mg is almost nothing.

I can't take immuran, so I can't share any experience with it. My pulmonologist at the time put me on it without doing the TMPT test beforehand. After about 10 days, I was really sick.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

drz: Have to ask: If Imuran is working for you why does the doc anticipate RTX for a flare? Are they connected? Also: Does Imuran particularly effect one's liver? Or are they connected?

Pete: My doc was willing to cut my Imuran to .25mg - and yes, I do cut it in half.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take 50 Mg tablets and cut one in half to get 25 Mg to total 175. It is metabolized by the liver so I had to cut back on my Pravastatin which is also metabolized by the liver. AZA is a maintenance drug so if I have a serious flare I would have to use RTX which is stronger med. I maxed out on CTX during my initial treatment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pete: My doc was willing to cut my Imuran to .25mg - and yes, I do cut it in half.

David
    So, if my math is correct, you're cutting a 50.0 mg tab in half to get a 25.0 mg dose, not .25 mg. Ergo, my initial confusion and skepticism. ;-)
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

drz: The first med I ever took was CTX. Was on it about 5 months when doc say that it wasn't working. Was back in the hospital 1 week for stabilization, then 4 rounds (once a week) of RTX. Believe my doc mentioned last visit how strong RTX is, but also mentioned that the CTX I took - now 5 yrs back and for only 5 months - could still effect my health today. Was surprised and a little scared when he said that.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pete: Yes, might be MY math, but we're on the same track now...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

drz: The first med I ever took was CTX. Was on it about 5 months when doc say that it wasn't working. Was back in the hospital 1 week for stabilization, then 4 rounds (once a week) of RTX. Believe my doc mentioned last visit how strong RTX is, but also mentioned that the CTX I took - now 5 yrs back and for only 5 months - could still effect my health today. Was surprised and a little scared when he said that.

David
    I was on ctx for 16 months. I get a monthly urinalysis to keep watch for possible bladder cancer - a potential side effect.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I was on ctx for 16 months. I get a monthly urinalysis to keep watch for possible bladder cancer - a potential side effect.
    I was on it for about 9 months. I have had my bladder scoped twice and will do it again this month. Plus the monthly lab work could point out such problems that may need further investigation. There are no good tests or agreement on how to monitor for increased risk of bladder cancer from CTX. The urologist tell me though that early detection is crucial since the cancer that results is likely to be extremely aggressive and fast moving.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast