Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pulmonary consult question

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LisaD1 View Post
    I have had 2 lung cat scans in past 8 months plus a sinus scan...and worry about radiation (probably dumb considering my lungs are a mess)
    Don't be concerned about radiation, the dose is not enough to cause a problem. Just keep doing what you're doing, making educated decisions based on sound logic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Titus3:2 View Post
    If Dr.Lee will do a phone consultation that would be great.If you get an appointment with Dr.Lee,he will still want to do lab work,Ct Scan,and Etc.Even though you have current lab work,and radiology with you.Rheumatologist,have pretty much taken over the final discussion on a GPA diagnosis or flare ups,and that is why he would send you to one of theirs.Pulmonologist use to be in charge,and are still in some places.Any second opinion I have been to at the Mayo Clinic either for myself or someone else, they always want to repeat testing.Even though ,you have current results.I meant outpatient when I said three or four days.If you have money,and time,you should go there.Call them.It could be months before you could get an appointment,but they have cancellations ,and you can get in earlier.Don't worry about radiation.I am very sorry you are having these problems.If I can help let me know.Keith.
    That is so nice of you and thank you for all this insight. What a bummer - repeat testing of all labs and scans...I think my pulmonary dr. or someone warned me about this some time ago and I backed off from getting a consult. Now if I can pull off the phone consult with my rheumatologist - wow that would be great. I've just contacted some Orlando pulmonary ppl who claim to have exp with vasculitis of varying types and I think I will have them do the bronchosope first in the hopes they will sample the right stuff and not just bug hunt! If that result is scary then I'll have to deal with Dr. Lee in person it seems and repeat the whole mess. It's so strange because my problems started with rapid declining kidney function and now that is stable and somewhat improved and my lungs are very unhappy and my asthma is at its worst ever.

thanks again for helping me with this

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Birdie - thanks for reassuring me about the radiation - i have read scary things like too many lung scans can cause lung cancer etc. ah...the internet! google is not always your friend!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know my treating doctors have consulted with experts from different places including Mayo. How they did it or how it was done I am uncertain? I know in some cases it was a professional colleague and most likely a friend. I know Mayo does a lot of this kind of consultation and advertise having such consultation services at hundreds of other clinics around the world but I don't know any of the details. I know Mayo does like to repeat lab testing but they have also accepted my prior recent testing from other facilities they trust.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to pray they "trust" my tests if I end up needing them in person but I am definitely going to go for the consult approach first after I get the bronchoscope since that seems to be absolutely unavoidable. Scary but unavoidable..I hate being sedated etc and then waiting for results....but that's the only way to get to the end!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12