Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rituxan infusions anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rituxan infusions anyone?

Hello! Anyone here have Rituxan infusions? I'm going for my first one Thursday and I don't know what to expect. How am I going to feel afterward? I have an 11 month old daughter, should I set up child care for her for the day after? I have so many questions.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For most people, rituxin infusions have minimal side effects. I was a little tired the day after mine (6 in all), but not enough to interfere with anything I had to do.

Your first one will take the longest - five hours or so. You'll be given an IV steroid (usually solu medrol) and an antihistamine before they start rtx. Once they start rtx, they will flow it very slowly. If everything goes well, they'll gradually increase the flow rate. They check your vitals every hour.

Some people have allergic reactions. In such cases, they stop rtx, treat the reaction, and either start again at an even slower rate or abandon the treatment.

Take something to read, some snacks, and some water with you. The infusion center I go to at Ohio State is pleasant. They have personal TVs and free wifi. I take my headphones and stream music through my phone.

You may want to have childcare on standby until you're sure there aren't going to be any issues.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Completed 4th Rituxin infusion in December. They watch you very carefully for any reactions so be sure to let the nurses know. It takes awhile, mine took about 5 hours I think the first time since I developed a little itch and they slowed things down. They premedicate with solumedrol and Benadryl -so you will be tired - don't drive yourself. I ended up sleeping which was good since prednisone has recked havoc on sleep patterns . I have read where some folks bring snacks but the infusion center passed out snacks where I was. I was very tired that day and the next so you might want some help at home so you can rest but everyone is different

Make sure you are well hydrated so they will be able to find a vein easily - that was my mistake -I did not do this and they had a hard time getting the IV in

if you have any other questions do not hesitate to ask. There are many folks here that have had much more experience with Rituxin than I have and I have read that many folks do well with it.

Best wishes and may you find a remission and good health in your near future

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1109, hi? Never know what to call people, in these cases... Good luck, and I go with Pete, on having a plan for you're children/ child... Alysia, just had hers, so I'm sure she will swing by... Deb.
    Live,love,and laugh...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thedudos1109 View Post
    I have so many questions.
    This group exists to answer questions... so ask them all.

Ask again if you don't get the answer you needed, or if you don't understand any of the answers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me the tiredness doesn't set in until the third day. The second day I am still wound up from the large dose of solumedrol. So, don't let how you feel the second day make you think you will feel that way the rest of the week. I think I would have a back up plan in place for having child care help the next week but you might not need it. Everyone does a little different with
    the infusions.
    I was scared the first time I went for one but now it is not really a big deal. The infusion clinic allows me to drive myself home. A two hour drive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, no side effects from Rituxin just ended 6 months of treatment by infusion!! Feeling great!! Praying for full remission!! Best of luck to you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had my first infusion inpatient at the hospital just this past December it ran a little over 10 hours. My second infusion took 7 and a half hours it wasn't too bad the Los Angeles County Hospital (General Hospital) provides recliners, WiFi, personal TV's, blankets and they also give out lunch as well as snacks. Try not to stress to much I was really nervous and ended up sleeping the last couple of hours. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too was anxious before my first infusion. The double whammy came from the solumedrol which made me alert while the benadryl made me sleepy. So the rest of the day was pretty much shot. Fine the next day. As for the Rituxan, I had no noticeable side effects. At the end of the first infusion they gave me a hot pack to put on my arm at the injection site as it felt a little cold, and I felt a little sniffly at the back of my nose (nasopharynx) - very minor indeed. Bring some music along and a book to read (in case the solumedrol/benadryl will let you concentrate), and something to munch. Good luck tomorrow!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I have had 8 infusions

Quote Originally Posted by thedudos1109 View Post
    Hello! Anyone here have Rituxan infusions? I'm going for my first one Thursday and I don't know what to expect. How am I going to feel afterward? I have an 11 month old daughter, should I set up child care for her for the day after? I have so many questions.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk
    I was very leery when I had my first infusion, but it had been years of Prenesone and a year of chemo ( very nasty) before that. I found the Rituxan ( which had not yet been Okay-ed for GPA) to be a breeze. I had no adverse reactions, no side effects and just felt weak from sitting all day for the infusion. I had 8 more over a year or so and now have not had any treatment of any kind for 2 1/2 years. It seems for me, that it was the only thing that worked for me.
    I had a huge exposure to mold recently ( no evidence that it causes GPA ) and though all of my tests are negative, I've had sinus problems now for 2 months. ????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast