Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blood Tests - what to check

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Blood Tests - what to check

Flare, smolder, remission... rare, medium, well done... the little plastic indicator in the turkey popped up hours ago so you better go put out the fire...

What blood tests work best to indicate YOUR Wegstatus?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
    Flare, smolder, remission... rare, medium, well done... the little plastic indicator in the turkey popped up hours ago so you better go put out the fire...

My ANCA always comes back negative...no active Wegs. I don't know if it was positive when I was first diagnosed. Guess I should ask that. I have blood work evert 3 months. My creatinine is always a little above normal, my white count and red count are always a little high.....but nothing to indicate I'm really having a flare. Yet I still always have some low level issues.
    Arleta

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    ----Arleta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Birdie, pleasant afternoon, to you... Bidie, a cmp, complete metabolic panel. Will include creatine ect. Bun creatine ratio will check level of hydration. Liver values, alt, ast ect. Fast before unless order says otherwise. Blood glucos, as pred will cause an upward trend in most. Ask doc, to test with meter first, to see if youre getting an accurate reading. Hemogloban a1c, to get a three month snap shot, would be cool. The panel will show youre white blood cell count, red ect. Im sure you know this. Anca, as you know... Ask nirse for a meter, blood glucose, and start checking youreself, ignore that nurse! No going back... Start testing, morning befor eating, then one hour before meals, eat, then test a half hour after, then an hour and then two hours after eating. Write down youre numbers. Look for a trend, are you going up in numbers, or coming down at that two hour mark. Meters are givin freely, take advantage. Whens the last time you got something for nothing? Pee in a cup. Make sure its on the order! Why make two trips? Try, hard to get it in the cup, you can do it! Pray for no stage freight..... If i think of more, i will rush back, and add to the thread.. And get physical copys of these labs! Paper in youre hands copies! Good luck, my friend... Deb. So sorry for typos!...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My creatine serum is always high too - hope this helps my diagnosis.. Inflammatory markers too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Birdie, what the Hells wrong with me? Crp, and sed rate, but I'm sure you know this... Will rush back, as my brain wakes up..Still not quite awake... Yes its 225pm here, but means little to my body lately... Deb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by debra View Post
    Birdie, what the Hells wrong with me?
    There is not enough bandwidth to answer that question. But, you're always telling me I make you laugh so I appreciate you returing the favor.

Quote Originally Posted by debra View Post
    Crp, and sed rate, but I'm sure you know this... Will rush back, as my brain wakes up..Still not quite awake... Yes its 225pm here, but means little to my body lately... Deb.
    Deb,

I reduced pred from 5 to 4 mg a few months back. Had massive muscle spasms, I mean really massive... tearing the muscles apart... lasting for hours... took two months for that injury to heal... Muscles responded but did my Wegener's respond to the pred reduction? I dunno... What do other people see as a change in test results when Wegs activity changes?

What I'm looking for here is not the broader significance of test results, or even what tests are good to follow when you have Wegs. So far I've never seen what I'm looking for, and it's a big part of why Wegener's is so hard to diagnose. Is there any commonality? A test, or a group of tests, which are more likely to indicate Weg activity?

I would like to know what tests demonstrate the activity of Wegs in different people. I expect differences, it seems no two cases are the same... Hope that at least some people know of their personal Wegs specific indicators. Tests results which reliably go up and down as Weg activity goes up and down.

Hope that cleared up the muddy water...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Birdie, I'm thinking, the Canca, for you, since youres reflects the disease. Crp, big, to indicate inflamation, also sed rate, if processed correctly, to indicate inflammation... All blood cell counts will also help in putting it all together... Sorry, I tried. If my brain wakes up, I'll add more as I think of more... Deb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My CRP went down - doc did not check see rate. As I mentioned in another thread I noted my Absolute Granulocyte count went up a bit but doc not considered and I could not find that much info on it. Will have a repeat CT scan done later this month.

Have had had rituxin and currently on 30 mg of Prednisone and Bactrim and a slew of other stuff....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdie View Post

I have labs done monthly: CBC, metabolic panel (includes creatinine, etc.), sed rate, CRP, and urinalysis. My doc looks at a urine sample with a microscope as blood in the urine presents with unique casts indicating the dog is going after the kidneys. Haven't had a c-ANCA or p-ANCA done since my first visit to Cleveland in 2012. Metabolic panel is probably next most scrutinized. My creatinine always runs just a little above normal, but it's been stable for a couple of years, so we don't worry about it. I think someone on here posed a hypothesis about absolute granulocytes to see if a rising level was concurrent with a flare. In my case, it was, so that's on the question list for my rheumy in April. Sed rate and CRP as we all know are general indicators of inflammation. If they go up quickly, it's probably worth a conversation with the doc.

As always, how you feel is probably your best indicator of wegs activity.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pete, hi. Interesting, there's a special and expensive way to look at urine, and I tried getting my doctor to do it, but to no avail. There's a shock. I need to look at what its called, but its different than the usual. It's called spinning the urine, and has to be done on the spot. Then the casts found, and other indicators are measured and looked at with a special machine. I'll look later, but its an accurate way to test for wegeners,so why the hold off? Expense, I'm guessing, why else.... Deb.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast