Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Absolute Granulocyte Count

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Absolute Granulocyte Count

I just did a forum search to see if I could find information on folks experience with their absolute Granulocyte count which is part of the WBC breakdown but could not find any information

has anyone ever followed this in relationship to progress of disease? I read a it online about it and know many things can affect it but just curious about significance for us GPA folks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just looked back through my labs since 2012. I had a small flare in late 2013 and my absolute grans spiked from a normal of about 3 K/uL to about 10 for my October 8 lab. I had rtx on October 16 and 30, 2013, and absolute grans gradually declined to about 3-4. The decline took about a year. Seem to be holding at 3-4 now. I have no symptoms of disease activity now.

Interesting hypothesis...
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Pete!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i checked my monthly labs and I don't see absolute grans - only "total granulocytes" and "bands absolute cancelled" because they didn't see any?? However my total grans are running high 10-13,000 cells/ul when normal is 1500 to 7800 cells/ul. What is the difference between total grans and absolute grans? and I wonder if elevation is due to prednisone which causes overall increase in wbc? This is all very interesting as a comparison with others. Keep up the ?s midsis!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So while checking my labs again for anca, ect. I thought I'd check this out again. It doesn't seem to be included. I could have sworn I saw this. On a different note, though not to hijack. Anyone else with a very low anion gap? Okay, so I hijacked a little? Sorry..... Deb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Granulocyte count is part of a CBC with diff - Deb from what I understand. The diff breaks down the components of the WBC. Not sure about anion gap - have to see what that is about

lisa - I read that prednisone can affect Granulocyte count as can auto immune issues. I wonder if absolute and complete Granulocyte count are the same they and different lab label them differently but I am not certain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just looked back at blood work and noted that initially my granulocyte count was higher and this was before any treatment so I am wondering if it does correlate. Having more blood work done next week so will reck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I just looked back through my labs since 2012. I had a small flare in late 2013 and my absolute grans spiked from a normal of about 3 K/uL to about 10 for my October 8 lab. I had rtx on October 16 and 30, 2013, and absolute grans gradually declined to about 3-4. The decline took about a year. Seem to be holding at 3-4 now. I have no symptoms of disease activity now.

Interesting hypothesis...
    Were you on prednisone at the time of the spike snd if so did the dose change when your Granulocyte level went down? Just trying to make sense of what my RA told me he felt the elevated level was from Prednisone You can tell I am not buying it I bet.
    Last edited by Middlesista; 01-30-2016 at 11:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Middlesista View Post
    You can tell I am not buying it I bet.
    More like trying to learn as much as possible, which is very cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Middlesista View Post
    Were you on prednisone at the time of the spike snd if so did the dose change when your Granulocyte level went down? Just trying to make sense of what my RA told me he felt the elevated level was from. You can tell I am not buying it I bet.
    I was at 60 when I had rtx and the spike occurred. I went on a veeeery gradual taper. Was at 10 of pred a year later when grans got back to a more normal level.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD