Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting maintenance meds after Rituxn

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Starting maintenance meds after Rituxn

Just reading a few posts and have a question. Are folks who complete their 4 Rituxin treatments usually on meds other than Prednisone and say Bactrin soon after finishing Rituxin? How soon are maintenance meds started r/t Rituxin? I have read that some folks have results immediately after Rituxin where as other folks say it takes weeks to months? I know everyone is different but was just looking for some insight

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Middlesista,

During and after my 4 Rituxan infusions I was on Methotrexate. A lower dose during my infusions and now a higher dose after. I am still on Methotrexate and it has been 17 months since my infusions. My results from the Rituxan/Methotrexate took several months. I started noticing things had changed 2-4 months after. Everyone is different and every doctor is different. This has worked well for me. My labs have been normal for months now. The tricky part in my future is weaning off of the Methotrexate. That may take place this summer and very slowly

Hope this might help!
    Best to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you Lesa

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My sista, stuck in the middle, just want to wish you luck... I can't help, as I seem to be taking the all natural approach with my dog... Not by choice as you are aware sista... Hey if laughter really is the best medicine, I will have put the weg dog down pretty quick..... Deb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RA gave me a research article about the use of Rituxin for Remission Induction and Maintenance. From 2012. One bit of info mentioned the importance of PCP prophylaxis for duration of B cell depletion following RTX infusion in folks with GPA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sista, stuck in the middle, thank you. Maybe I'll be treated with this someday, just like my sister Alysia, who's also my mother, and really special friend..... I know this is her thing.... Deb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was not given any maintenance drugs after my RTX treatments. It's been 15 months now since my last RTX and I have not had a flaur. My blood work is checked a few months and is looking fine.
    Karen; dx'ed April 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is great Karen!! I hope I can follow your lead!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About 6 months after my first RTX treatments I tapered off prednisone. At that point I stopped taking Bactrim as well. No meds after that. My docs then started checking my peripheral B-cell counts along with the standard blood work. When the B-cell count went above 0, I had one infusion for maintenance therapy. That was 10 months ago, and my B-cells remain at 0. I will get another infusion when it goes above 0. Dr Spiera plans to continue RTX therapy for the first two years after initial treatment. Beyond two years, and barring any flares, let's see what he says. From what I understand, every case is different and maintenance therapy is an art and different docs follow different procedures.

Good luck as you get closer to remission! It is a strange thing - I felt worst before diagnosis and then again for 9 months after the prednisone was down to 8mg. But now I feel fine and hope to stay that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ThanksMax - glad to hear you are doing better!

I see that it took you 6 months to come off Prednisone - I am wondering what your titration schedule looked like. My RA said 10 mg a week till I get to 20mg and I was t 40mG I think that is a bit too fast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast