Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: C reactive protein

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alysia: I like this website for understanding tests. https://labtestsonline.org/understan.../crp/tab/test/

Birdie, I am so bummed that someone who qualifies for Veterans medical care has such a hard time getting it, but THAT line of thought will do no good for my blood pressure numbers! Anyway, my sympathies for your predicament, and I will weigh in (for what it's worth) because you don't have a doc to easily call or email.

CRP is def a number we watch for our daughter, but it is part of the bigger picture, much like ESR as said before. PR3, BUN / creatinine, HGB - for her those are the big dogs that we are very vigilant about. I think this is difficult too because it's different for every Weggie to some degree; for example, she has a blemish on her chin that makes me think yesterday's blood test will show increases over last month's, and yet "a blemish" seems to be an innocuous development, especially for a teen. But my point is that we know her & her numbers.

it seems entirely reasonable to think an increased CRP is no biggies if all else is stable and not doing an up-tick (even within normal ranges). And let me add good for you to be puzzling and tracking and asking. One reason I like this forum is that it seems to self-select Weggies who are empowered :-) Best wishes to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alysia View Post
    I dont want to spoil the party.... but I suggest to wait a bit more with reducing the pred. I doubt the good changes are because of the reduction in the pred. sorry. pred mostly give one more energy, not less. can there be another explanation ? I might be very wrong. just sharing my point of view...
    what that test "c reactive protein" is testing ?
    Prednisone causes muscle loss, and many other things like earthquakes and tornados and sink holes and mud slides and melting ice cream.

It interrupts the chemical process that allows muscles to contract, and that's my main issue. From my ignorant non-doctor understanding...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whatthewhat View Post
    CRP is def a number we watch for our daughter
    I wrote a program and enter the data each time I get test results.

I had a great two man team looking out for me until last march. I didn't have to learn about this subject. Now I'm trying but the interpretation web sites aren't much good without Wegs specific perspective.

So.... ANY COMMENTS are greatly appreciated, it's all helping me figure it out. And I'm capable of putting comments into proper perspective.

http://www.garyrin.com/bloodtests.jpg

Intenet Explorer displays that image in a fit to screen mode, can't read it unless you click on the pic once it's on screen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Don View Post
    This is inappropriate & invalid, but I have been known to take a 2.5mg to stop the aching hips & back so I can swing better! Yikes! Spoons to ya Bird!
    Does it help the golf game,Don ?? If so Gary , I would stay at 5 just to kick his butt on the course !
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Debra C View Post
    Does it help the golf game,Don ?? If so Gary , I would stay at 5 just to kick his butt on the course !
    I think it would take more than 5 mg of pred since I've never even been on a golf field. Anyway, golf bats scare me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Debra C View Post
    Not really, but it helps me think I'm young again and can make those kinds of swings!! LOL...but, just for kicks: I have Xanax as a backup for other 'brainy' issues...and have shot 75 on full doses...no one but me on the course when I did that!! LMAO! Practice is what makes me/us better, just as in anything else athletic...or otherwise.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Birdie! Here's my two cents! I'm not sure what your taper schedule looks like but if you're feeling good at 4 stay there and continue your taper. My doc hasn't been concerned when my crp is that high even if I am a little symptomatic . Crp numbers can fluctuate quickly and anything can really cause it to go up a little. When it rises to a problem you will probably feel it too. I get bloodwork monthly and have seen it creep up over a few months. At this time the symptoms were creeping up too. Maybe you'll want to stay at 4 mg until the next one - and if good drop to 3? Or by halfs... If you're feeling good keep going! Best wishes.

Christina

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Christina32 View Post
    Maybe you'll want to stay at 4 mg until the next one - and if good drop to 3?
    Hey thanks for the input. I think that's my plan, stay at 4 until the next blood work unless something else tells me there's a problem. I'd have been far more surprised when a 1 mg reduction (20%) made a difference, if not for this group pointing out that reduction is a matter of percentage. Reducing from 5 to 4 seems to have an effect similar to reducing from 80 to 60.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Birdie - elevated CRP can be indicative of issues other than GPA, such as inflammation related to cardiovascular problems. You should ask your doctor (when you do get to see one) about it, especially given your higher than normal triglycerides and cholesterol, and the fact that you have been confined to a wheelchair and exhausted - none of which helps. I don't mean to be an alarmist, and the fact that you're feeling more energetic would be contrary to a cardiovascular issue. I guess what I'm saying is you need a really thorough checkup, but you already know that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MaxD View Post
    Birdie - elevated CRP can be indicative of issues other than GPA, such as inflammation related to cardiovascular problems. You should ask your doctor (when you do get to see one) about it, especially given your higher than normal triglycerides and cholesterol, and the fact that you have been confined to a wheelchair and exhausted - none of which helps. I don't mean to be an alarmist, and the fact that you're feeling more energetic would be contrary to a cardiovascular issue. I guess what I'm saying is you need a really thorough checkup, but you already know that.
    Don't worry about being alarmist with me, gimme your best thoughts. Much appreciated.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast