Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: C reactive protein

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default C reactive protein

A month ago I reduced pred from 5 mg to 4 mg. Kinda surprising that such a small change would make much difference but I've got far more energy now and still seem to be slowly improving. Some days I can go to the grocery store without a wheelchair. Using the store's scooter let's me get three bags of groceries so I only have to go twice a week instead of every other day. I'm likin this.

I got results from tuesday's blood test and "C REACTIVE PROTEIN" went from 3.8 last time up to 15.8 this time. Every other result was about the same. The reading has been stable for quite a while now which makes me think reducing pred could be the cause.

Reducing pred further would be nice but if this indicates a big issue, then I'm (expletive omitted).

So who know's all there is to know on the subject?
    Or maybe even a little bit of something about it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is puzzling that you feel more energy after reducing the prednisone. On average, the body naturally produces about 5mg worth of cortisol to fight inflammation - but the adrenal glands shut down when you're on a long term dose of prednisone. It can take several weeks/months for the adrenal glands to kick into action and start producing enough cortisol as you taper down. During this time, it isn't surprising for CRP levels to rise, and for various other symptoms (fatigue, aches and pains in joints and tendons) to show up. Of course, if there's another underlying inflammatory process that was masked by the prednisone, that will start showing up too.

I'd definitely talk to your doctor about it in case you have other complicating factors and he may monitor you closely as you taper down.

But hey, if you're feeling better, why worry about a blip in the CRP level - let your doc do the worrying!

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MaxD View Post
    It is puzzling that you feel more energy after reducing the prednisone.

But hey, if you're feeling better, why worry about a blip in the CRP level - let your doc do the worrying!
    I know what ya mean, every other time I've reduced pred it was a bummer, suddenly stop functioning. I got an adrenal test recently and it showed I was responding and producing cortisol quite well, almost normal levels.

My issues is... I don't actually have a doctor. I have VA medical "care". Primary care doctor has been assigned and I've been trying to get an appointment since April. In theory I'll see her for the first time in December, but that last "in theory" appointment was cancelled the day before, so who knows.

I'm on my own "worrying". I have a standing order for a monthly blood test and I get the result 3 days later online. I've got prescriptions for 1 mg pred tablets and 50 mg Azathioprine to last about six more months. I MUST get out of this stinkin wheelchair and find a job I can do just to buy food. So any shared knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its great news that you are feeling better and able to get out of your chair for awhile. If your test showed that your adrenal test came back good then you really shouldn't have an issue by reducing. Are you doing this on your own then ? Are you trying to get off all together ? I wouldn't yet if I were you until you are able to talk to a dr. If I were you, since you have a standing order than why not wait a few days and have it rechecked since our numbers can change at any time. Have you eaten any red meat at all before the test. I know that can make a difference ( I am not sure about the effects on your crp though...I would have to google it.) In the mean time glad you are able to get out more...keep us posted. Soooorry not much help. Just a note,I had my bloodwork done last month and my sed rate was in the 30's and other #s were high so my dr at CC called and wanted me to have it down again because she was concerned about something . 2 days later sed rate was 12 and all other #s good.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Debra C View Post
    Are you doing this on your own then ? Are you trying to get off all together ? I wouldn't yet if I were you until you are able to talk to a dr. If I were you, since you have a standing order than why not wait a few days and have it rechecked since our numbers can change at any time.
    Yes I'm doing this on my own since I have no actual health care, VA does not count as health care. No I'm not trying to stop prednisone. I can't get blood work done again until next month. It's a once a month order and they refused to do it any more often, took a bit of work to get this much.

I'm trying to find the lowest dose to reduce fatigue and have a chance of building muscle. I don't have any muscle right now, hence the wheelchair and at least 15 hours a day unable to even do dishes.

I'm a bit concerned because of the change in C Reactive Protein since last month, before I reduced pred. It was stable at 3.2 to 3.8 for many months. I'm really wondering if I should go back to 5 mg of prednisone. My plan was to reduce to 3 mg based on this month's blood work. That's out the window.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to go back to 5. I just googled what makes your crp raise and there were several things. One being excercise..MAYBE you getting out and about more has caused some inflammation since you are not used to it. Another was infection ????? But it said it should return to normal after treatment so maybe going back up may help.Sorry again for lack of info. Hoping it goes back down for you...Take care When you see the dr. maybe ask her if she can write the order for every month or as needed. That's how mine in written so I can go whenever I feel the need. Which ..knock on wood..I just go 1 time a month. Also do you try doing leg lifts and other stretches while in the chair. There is also some very easy yoga moves that might help !
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is your sed rate, usually called ESR since that is another inflammation marker but it is supposed to give you a reading over a longer period of time. It is harder to do correctly I guess since my local lab seldom is able to do it accurately but it might be another check on what is going on as far as inflammation. Infections always raise my inflammations scores.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    What is your sed rate, usually called ESR since that is another inflammation marker but it is supposed to give you a reading over a longer period of time. It is harder to do correctly I guess since my local lab seldom is able to do it accurately but it might be another check on what is going on as far as inflammation. Infections always raise my inflammations scores.
    ERYTHROCYTE SEDIMENTATION RATE = 10 mm/hr 0-35 range

It's always 9 or 10 but if you really want to know then click the link below.

http://www.garyrin.com/bloodtests.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont want to spoil the party.... but I suggest to wait a bit more with reducing the pred. I doubt the good changes are because of the reduction in the pred. sorry. pred mostly give one more energy, not less. can there be another explanation ? I might be very wrong. just sharing my point of view...
    what that test "c reactive protein" is testing ?
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reducing pred is a matter more of percentages than amounts when one gets to those lower numbers. Some peeps never get past 5, 4, 3, etc. A low dose isn't gonna kill one, but it may the life one lives for quite a while. This is inappropriate & invalid, but I have been known to take a 2.5mg to stop the aching hips & back so I can swing better! Yikes! Spoons to ya Bird!
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast