Likes Likes:  0
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: lung issues

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I hope you have had a sucessfull appt VW and some relief and comfort as you look towards the future. Do you think the issues with your vertebrae are related to previous surgery? Hope you get some answers soon, wishing you all the very best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you think the issues with your vertebrae are related to previous surgery?
    I think the problems stem from an injury to my neck that I sustained while surfing in Hawaii 30 years ago. Make no mistake, tho, I'm not a macho surf bum. The accident occurred on a boogie board -- it was my first and last attempt at surfing. On about the 3rd try, I hit the wave wrong and it slammed me head first into the sand. I felt a sharp pain and warm feeling all over my body. I didn't think that much of it except that I probably had a close call on breaking my neck. I can't think of any other time my neck might have been damaged.

I also think, that same incident and the resulting arthritis might have been the cause for paralyzed diaphragm since the phrenic nerve, which controls the diaphragm, exits at C3-C5. The damage to my vertebra is C4-C7. Too much coincidence to be ignored.

I will be getting a cervical epidural in a few days. <sarcasm> Looks like it might be fun! </sarcasam> :-)
    Cervical Epidural Steroid Injection Video

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dont worry, vdub. My father had it. And he is 81yo. He felt nothing during the procedure and was only tired after. He was awake all the way.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Alysia! Did he have to have the procedure over-and-over or did one time do it for him?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vdub View Post
    Thanks, Alysia! Did he have to have the procedure over-and-over or did one time do it for him?
    It was 3 months ago or so, and it took about 3 days untill he started to feel better. It was not all at once but very gradual. Since then he was only getting better. The dr. Explained that he might need more procedures if the pain will return but so far he is feeling much better. Only small pain from time to time. He had to rest a lot and be careful with movements. The dr. Said to be careful about moving to the sides. Not to carry heavy stuff. Working in the garden is also better to avoid according to the dr.. gentle breathing exrecises also helped him when the pain was still there.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just catching up with this thread vdub. Sorry you are going through this, getting on with life after WG is hard enough but you sure do carry a heavier load. Best to you and hope to read a positive post, post shot.
    Dale
    Dx Aug, 2009 Remission June 2010 until 8/1/2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Alysia -- knowing what might happen is nice. I guess that's what this forum is all about. And, thanks for the well wishes Dale! That's what this forum is all about, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We can close this thread out now as I have come to the end of the line. I had an appt with the pulmonologist today and he did some capacity tests on my lungs. Prior to the operation, my total lung capacity was 46% and they hoped to bring it up to 70% or 80% after the operation. Unfortunately, we only managed to squeak 60% total capacity out of the procedure. And, more unfortunately, that is the end of the road, nothing more can be done. But, if I can snorkel, then all is ok. I can't test my snorkeling capability for a couple months, but I think I'll be able to do it. I almost think I could go off my cpap, but haven't tried it. If I lost 10 or 20 lbs, then it would probably help things out quite a bit, so that should be my first course of action. But, as far as surgery, or exercises, or any other procedure goes, we have exhausted them all and 60% total capacity is all I'm going to get. Bummer, but no worries.... :-)
    Last edited by vdub; 08-26-2016 at 10:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am sorry to hear that. I will be wishing you all the best to be able to snorkel and good luck with the weight loss. Take care of yourself!
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me, too vdub. I guess 60% is better than no improvement.You will still be able to do a lot of what you like to do, which I hope will include snorkeling. It will take some time for this to sink in, and adjusting may be easier than you think. I hope so.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast