User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 178 of 185 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178179180 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,780 of 1842

Thread: heart breaking story, posting for a friend. can we help her ? please ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Morning, Deb. I looked up sugar babies and read a little.... yes they are very cute. But you need to keep being persistent about this health care crap. So, these places that don't take Medicaid patients, do they also not take Medicare patients? If they do take the latter, cannot you just drop your Medicaid, have all your benefits under SS disability and NOT under SSI and Medicaid? Then, yes, you would pay the percentages, as I do, but at least you would get care. I'm not going to go on and on but think you need an advocate, an ombudsman, though I'm not sure what they would call it, within the system, either state or federal, someone who can help you sort out how to get care. There are phone numbers all over the back of the Medicare handbook for getting help. These people are trained for this. Ask them questions like why is your Medicaid status getting in the way of getting treatment, and can you get off it, and just use Medicare, and pay percentages. Ask them how to find docs who do take Medicare/Medicaid patients. I have not been a Medicaid patient but it seems that here, they all take Medicare.

It is a shame that this biopsy appointment fell through. You need to look for another provider, one who will take you. Your primary doc doesn't seem very effective in helping you get on track, and maybe you need another one. I did lose a primary doc I liked long ago because his group would no longer take Basic Health, a WA state program. (I was not on disablity at the time). So I had to find another provider who did, who turned out to be a PA, and that was fine. Nurse practitioners are often good, too. Both will spend more time talking to you than most docs and will do more detective work on your behalf.

I agree with Birdie that bitchiness and pushiness have their place, if you are good at pulling them off without being shown the door. I imagine he is very good at this. I think there must be an art to it, and it might help to be a man. I know I've gotten my doc to change his mind on things by simply stating the facts that I know from this this forum and from living with WG every day. He seems a little stern, and has an attitude, but gives in and I think respects my knowledge. That has taken some time. At least, unlike you, I have a doc. He takes Medicare, and if the percentages rack up, too much for me, I get on a payment plan of $20 a month. I just paid that off for 2015 and with my next visit will be hit with the yearly deductible, so I'll have a bigger bill, and if I can't pay it, they'll keep me on the $20/mo. plan. My usual actual charge for a visit is only around $28.00 but will be more if I have something like a breathing function test with a spirometer.

Not to go on and on. You did a good job of explaining how you feel after having the gum biopsy appointment fall through. What type of doc does that biopsy? I don't remember where Birdie said he got his. My own dentist, though not an MD, knows all about WG and diseases that affect the mouth, teaches at the UW Med Center and knows all the docs who teach there... same with the oral surgeon I went to, and either of them would be alarmed at the strawberry gums and general state of your mouth and if they could not do it themselves, would find someone who could. No, Medicare doesn't cover dental stuff. But these guys are reasonable with me, knowing my financial state, and will also work with people on payment plans.

I do not think you are making this up and can understand why you get tired of us repeating the same things. But what else can we do? We don't understand the workings of the system there and any suggestion we make is going to sound lame to you. You need someone more of an expert at working the system there.... if it is that bad, there must be activists, agencies, people trained in getting people the health care they need. If necessary, go to the top, write or call people in high public office, people sitting on boards and commissions who deal with health care issues. Even write a letter to the editor of the local newspaper. You are a smart enough person to put the right words together to get someone's attention. From my feeble point of view, I'm about of ideas for now. I do care, and can only say, keep trying, and don't give up. Love you. XXOOXXOO
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anne, thank you, very much... Anne I can't change my Medicare status, this is the government, as you know... Anne, I do have an advocate, two of them Anne! You see, Anne? Makes it even more frusterating to not get any where! I called an old oral surgeon from years back, and he also takes no Medicaid!!! I offered to pay the difference!!! No, no, no! Anne, they can't do it... I'm out of oral surgeons Anne! The time I get my diagnosis, which I need because of the upcoming pain alone, cause I already need something! It will be to late... Guys, its already late, to much junk! And, and, and, NO ONE understands my blood!!! The whole thalacemmia thing and how my blood needs to be processed faster!!! Why do you think, I talk of God, and faith? Shouldn't I be prepared? Dont I need peace in one area of my life? I have a family that could care less if I died yesterday on top of all this crap! God is all I have! Me...
    Live,love,and laugh...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anne, also I just talked about this last night when Mary came by, this primary doc, I didn't care for in the beginning, but she's taking this serious and trying! I feel actually bad for her! She's totally lost Anne! I gave her the vasculitis number, but shes out of her comfort zone, which is why she's sending me to experts, that are far from experts!!! But yes, she listens, and adds everything I ask. To bad it took this damage to my body for her to see! But it is what it is, and she does now! Sooooooooooooooo unbelievable... As if this disease has its own evil mind!!! It does! It's sneaky and pure evil! So hard to diagnose! Me...
    Live,love,and laugh...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deb. You have God. And you have us. We are your family and we love you dearly and care for you very much.
    I know how tough it is to fight docs and bad beaurocracy while being so sick.

For years (of smoldering without knowing that) I was accused (by docs, psychologists, friends, family, myself) of being hypochondriac, of "behaving like an old woman", of having "hidden" depression, of having allergies, etc. Then I almost died but even after, more then 10 ENT docs sent me away with nothing to offer me, 2 false negative nose biopsies, about 4 pulmy doc, 6 GP docs, 3 gastro docs (I went out crying from one and cursing from the other), 2 reuhmy docs... they didnt offer much. I took pred on my own to treat my ears, I couldnt hear anything... Until the last reuhmy made a case conference about me and they decided its wg. Also then it took him almost 3.5 years to start treat me well and 4 years to give a usefull treatment. And then I had to scream on the phone to the ombudsman of the health service because they refused to give me rtx eventhough I dereve to get it according to the law here.

So I understand your battle. And I love you. Keep fighting. Dont give up.

P.s. maybe its a good thing not to do the gum biopsy. No idea if it can be false negative like nose biopsy, but if it does, it could be worse proving wg with false negative biopsy. Like I had with my nose.
    Hang in there. Maybe the pulmy will be your hero.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by debra View Post
    Anne, also I just talked about this last night when Mary came by, this primary doc, I didn't care for in the beginning, but she's taking this serious and trying! I feel actually bad for her! She's totally lost Anne! I gave her the vasculitis number, but shes out of her comfort zone, which is why she's sending me to experts, that are far from experts!!! But yes, she listens, and adds everything I ask. To bad it took this damage to my body for her to see! But it is what it is, and she does now! Sooooooooooooooo unbelievable... As if this disease has its own evil mind!!! It does! It's sneaky and pure evil! So hard to diagnose! Me...
    She needs to get over her fear of the Vasculitis Foundation, it is there for people like her and us who need guidance about what to do. She can consult with a vasculitis expert there who could even tell her what drugs to prescribe. This consultation is said to free, though I haven't done it. If she won't call them, you need to do it yourself, find someone who will talk to you and advise you on how to proceed. Right now, my computer is having trouble accessing the links, and being at the computer is giving me vertigo. As soon as I go away from the screen, it stops. Weird. So will have to talk later. Weird.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alysia, hi... Thank you, I know I have God, and you all I love... Wow, writing rocks! Very therapeutic... Ya maybe the gum biopsy didn't work for a reason, and maybe the pulmonary doc, will be the ONE... Maybe not... It's okay, ya know? This is all I'm trying to express here. I have not givin up, but if this is his plan, no one can fight that! Need to be prepared for all things ya know? Seems to me, its not meant to be, yes this rhymed... Alysia, I'm sorry for all you went through, but oh man, does this sound familiar! I got axed for being sick! By my own family! Because there in total ignorance, can't deal, I have to suffer a double header... Cognitive dissonance... Their loss... The time its realized, will be late... I love you, guys... Me... Xox...
    Live,love,and laugh...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anne, I have called the vasculitis foundation myself, back years now... Cant believe I'm talking years already! They can't really do anything without the doctor, understandably... Well, hopefully I'll be seeing her soon, and go from there... In the mean time, hoping my records were faxed to my endo... I know she will help... Weird that an endocrinologist knows wegeners better than any doc I've seen yet! And yes I've seen em all! Got to get off here... I love you, Anne... You guys are amazing, and Birdie, you brought great things to my life, so thank you for everything... Never laughed so hard, and it had been a long time... You're also well spoken and I love you're writing... So thank you... Me...Xox...
    Live,love,and laugh...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alysia View Post
    Birdie, is it right ?
    Doctors are people. Unless you've suffered extreme trauma (in a car accident?), it's up to you to make sure the doctor understands the circumstances. You can't bore a doctor into the ground talking about other doctors and blood work from 2012. You have to clearly and succintly define your symptoms, without blabbing about how it makes you feel to have the symptom. You will confuse him, cause him to loose focus on YOUR problem.

Going to the emergency room with as many symptoms, and as much damage as Deb has, it's up to her to make her case. Been there done that... about 15 times... made my case and was admitted to the hospital... sometimes went well and sometimes not so well... I did my best in each case... GET BITCHY! (in a nice way)

Also, you can't tell them to FAX blood work to you, you have to ask them for their procedure to get medical records. Every patient can't set the procedures for their office. THEY have a procedure for you to get those records. Anywhere that US laws apply, THEY are required by law to have that procedure and they are required to follow their procedure, along with a thousand other laws.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Birdie, do you see me? Haha... It's like you know my schedule... Weird. Birdie, up here or however, they do fax the blood work to the other doctor, never had an issue with this... Thought maybe because I had for the most part seen the doc, their faxing to, but not always... Also get my labs mailed, usually automatically although this suddenly became an issue with rhumy, so had to make a special trip, pissed to sign release... It's just real tiring ya know? I mean my four year anniversary is coming up!!! And not subtle symptoms! Its quite pathetic, in my humble opinion... I hope everything goes good with this new doctor and you get a primary! Me... Xox...
    Live,love,and laugh...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by debra View Post
    Birdie, do you see me? Haha... It's like you know my schedule... Weird. Birdie, up here or however, they do fax the blood work to the other doctor, never had an issue with this... Thought maybe because I had for the most part seen the doc, their faxing to, but not always... Also get my labs mailed, usually automatically although this suddenly became an issue with rhumy, so had to make a special trip, pissed to sign release... It's just real tiring ya know? I mean my four year anniversary is coming up!!! And not subtle symptoms! Its quite pathetic, in my humble opinion... I hope everything goes good with this new doctor and you get a primary! Me... Xox...
    What is their official procedure for patients to get medical records? Do you know? You can bet it's not the same as the procedure for sharing with other health care providers.

You got "pissed" because you had to go sign a release? THAT is part of THEIR legally required procedure for release of patient's medical records. *I* asked at every doctor's office, at every hospital, at every lab... etc... for THEIR procedure for ME to get my medical records. Then *I* followed THEIR procedure. Never a problem... *I* don't try to make THEM do something out of the ordinary and certainly not anything against THEIR requirements... THEY have massive liability concerning MY medical records, and THEIR liability becomes far greater if THEY don't even follow THEIR OWN procedures concerning MY right to privacy. The law only say's they have to ensure my right to privacy, it does not tell them how to do it. Their lawyers tell them how to do it. Asking them to violate the procedures is a very unkind thing to do, it places one individual on the spot, stuck between a bitchy patient and the requirements of their own employment.

In the doctor's office...

Receptionist: How may I help you?

Deb: Could you tell me your procedure for release of medical records? Perhaps provide a written copy?

(notice there is no long boring story about why you want it, she doesn't care why, you're entitled to know this, you don't need to justify)

Receptionist: Oh Debra! I love you... usually patients just get bitchy and expect me to do things I'm not allowed to do. Thank you sooooo much for being this considerate. Here is a copy of the procedure, I'd be happy to explain any part you don't understand. And also, here is a copy of our "Patients rights" policy as well, you should have been given these when you first came to us, we're actually required to have you sign it at first check-in and once a year thereafter. AND! I almost forgot, here is another document which outlines our policy on maintaining patient privacy. And here is the schedule for cleaning out the fridge in the employee lunch room, you'll notice that Vitamine Klondike is the only thing we're allowed to keep in the freezer more than 3 days. Deb, I love working in a place where we can keep our vitamins frozen without worrying about them being tossed out after three days. I also love patients who don't bore me with irrelevant details, those who just spit it out, ask their question... Would you like a Vitamin Klondike while you wait? Sorry but they might be expired, we don't know how long they've been in the freezer.