Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recipes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's one of my favorites from Rachel Ray's 30-minute meals...

Baby Shrimp Cappelini (serves 2)

Ingredients

1/2 lb whole wheat thin spaghetti or Jovial (brand) gluten free brown rice cappellini pasta
    1/4 - 1/2 pound raw shrimp peeled and deveined. I use the 36-40 per pound size
    4 garlic cloves finely chopped
    Zest of one lemon
    6 green onions coarsely chopped. Cook the white ends and garnish with the green ends.
    2 tbsp butter
    2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 cup white wine (I like Chardonnay)
    2 tbsp Old Bay seafood seasoning
    1 pint grape tomatoes
    salt, pepper, and Tobasco sauce to taste

Preparation

Get your spaghetti water going (I add a big pinch of salt and a splash of olive oil). Cook the spaghetti to al dente (about 7 -9 minutes not counting the time for the water to come to a boil).
    Season the shrimp with the Old Bay and set aside
    In a sautee pan over medium high heat, add the olive oil and butter.
    When butter is melted, add garlic, pepper, and green onions and sautee until fragrant - a couple of minutes
    Add the lemon zest and stir for a couple of minutes.
    Add the tomatoes and stir for a couple of minutes until they soften.
    Add the wine and let the contents of the pan come to a simmer for a couple of minutes.
    Add the seasoned shrimp and cook for two minutes.
    Drain the spaghetti and add to the sautee pan.
    Add Tobasco sauce to taste (I use just a couple drops)
    Fold the spaghetti in so it gets covered with the sauce and cook until shrimp are done (they turn pink)

Plate and garnish with the green ends of the green onions.

Serve and enjoy!
    Last edited by Pete; 11-07-2015 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Fix spelling and clarify directions
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just posted this recipe for chowder on Facebook. Since I can't eat grains at all - I end up eating left over dinner for breakfast. I know eating chowder for breakfast seems really weird - but it works for me. I weigh myself every morning. On this grain free diet, I have now lost 20 pounds. That is two pounds less than back when I was walking 4-5 miles 4 times a week. Yay!! Hoping to get to the gym next week. Had a slight downturn in breathing but am now much improved and it only took a quick 20 mg taper - not the 60 mg that was needed before I started the diet. Anyway - here is the recipe.

This is the VERY BEST chowder I have EVER eaten. I am including all the modifications I used to make it grain-free and low carb.

New England Fish/Clam Chowder

Yield: Makes about 14 cups; serves 8 as a main course
    EPICURIOUS | AUGUST 2000
    BY JASPER WHITE 50 CHOWDERS: ONE-POT MEALS — CLAM, CORN & BEYOND

MODIFICATIONS IN PARENTHESES ARE MY IDEAS FOR MAKING THIS DISH LOWER IN CARBS. In my opinion the modifications improved on the original.

Ingredients

4 ounces meaty salt pork, rind removed and cut into 1/3-inch dice (i used pancetta)
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    2 medium onions (14 ounces), cut into 3/4-inch dice
    6 to 8 sprigs fresh summer savory or thyme, leaves removed and chopped 1 tablespoon (i used about a tsp of dry summer savory and a bit more of the fresh thyme)
    2 dried bay leaves
    2 pounds Yukon Gold, Maine, PEI, or other all-purpose potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/3-inch thick (I substituted finely diced celery and carrots)
    5 cups Strong Fish Stock,Traditional Fish Stock,Chicken Stock , or water as a last resort. ( I used a quart of fish stock and two bottles of Cento clam juice)
    Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    3 pounds skinless haddock or cod fillets, preferably over 1 inch thick, pinbones removed ( i also added a large can of clams)
    1 1/2 cups heavy cream (or up to 2 cups if desired)
    3 TBS of potato flour whisked into 1 1/2 cups hot water (I use potato flour to avoid grains and to make up for not using potatoes in the soup)

For garnish
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
    2 tablespoons minced fresh chives

Preparation

1. Heat a 4- to 6-quart heavy pot over low heat and add the diced salt pork/ pancetta. Once it has rendered a few tablespoons of fat, increase the heat to medium and cook until the pork is a crisp golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the cracklings to a small ovenproof dish, leaving the fat in the pot, and reserve until later.

2. Add the butter, onions, savory or thyme, and bay leaves to the pot and sauté, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, for about 8 minutes, until the onions and softened but not browned.

3. Add the potatoes/vegetable and stock. If the stock doesn’t go over the potatoes/ vegetables, add just enough water to cover them. Turn up the heat and bring to a boil, cover, and cook the potatoes vigorously for about 10 minutes, until they are soft on the outside but still firm in the center. If the stock hasn’4hickened lightly, smash a few of the potato slices against the side of the pot and cook for a minute or two longer to release their starch. NOTE: since I did not use potatoes, I mixed 3 TBS potato flor in 1 1/2 cups hot water, then poured it into the boiling soup. Reduce the heat to low and season assertively with salt and pepper (you want to almost overseason the chowder at this point to avoid having to stir it much once the fish is added). Add the fish fillets and cook over low heat for 5 minutes, then remove the pot from the heat and allow the chowder to sit for 10 minutes (the fish will finish cooking during this time).

4. Gently stir in the cream and taste for salt and pepper. If you are not serving the chowder within the hour, let it cool a bit, then refrigerate; cover the chowder after it has chilled completely. Otherwise, let it sit for up to an hour at room temperature, allowing the flavors to meld.

5. When ready to serve, reheat the chowder over low heat; don't let it boil. Warm the cracklings in a low oven (200 °F) for a few minutes.

6. Use a slotted spoon to mound the chunks of fish, the onions, and vegetables in the center of large soup plates or shallow bowls, and ladle the creamy broth around. Scatter the cracklings over the individual servings and finish each with a sprinkling of chopped parsley and minced chives.

For equipment, you will need a 4- to 6-quart heavy pot with a lid, a slotted spoon, a wooden spoon, and a ladle.

NOTE: This is a large amount of soup....but it freezes well. When you unfreeze it, the cream will look curdled....but it will blend in perfectly when reheated.
    Jacquie (aka Lifelong Booknut)

Updated status: "Honorary Weggie"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Share a recipe found on the Internet:

Avocado chips

• Ingredients
    • Nutrition

• 1 egg, lightly beaten
    • 2 cups Japanese breadcrumbs
    • 2 avocados, cut into wedges
    • Lime wedges, to serve

Dipping sauce

• 3/4 cup Greek yoghurt
    • 1 tablespoon lime juice
    • 1/2 garlic clove, crushed
    • 1 tablespoon finely chopped coriander

Select all ingredients

• Method

1. Step 1Preheat oven to 240C or 220C fan-forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
    2. Step 2Place egg in a shallow plate. Place breadcrumbs in a second shallow plate. Dip avocado in egg to coat, then dip wedges in breadcrumbs to coat. Place on prepared tray. Spray with cooking oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden and crisp.
    3. Step 3Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for dipping sauce. Season.
    4. Step 4Serve chips immediately with dipping sauce and lime wedges.

I've had three or four spreads home along with all but given up finding something which didn't look cheap, wasn't too heavy, worked with the shades already in the room, wasn't expensive, etc. None of them worked but these king size quilts particular one are ideal. I have a very high double bed plus the king spread works perfectly. Stitching seems secure and that i expect a lot of use from this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mmmmm sounds great! What time are you serving?!
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
    in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.
    Proverbs 3: 5-6

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12