Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Depression ??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Depression ??

I have been depressed for some time now but thought I could just work through things without taking anything.........well that's not working,I'm just getting worse. And I keep telling myself that soooooooooo many people are worse off than me so just get a grip.Needless to say ,I am losing my grip. I am sure I have that S.A.D.D ( seasonal disorder ) I hate this time of year,time changes next week ( which will make it worse ) ,theres just a lot of S*** going on in my life right now.
    So I decided to give in and go to someone about it but my question is.. is it better to see a psychiatrist or a psychologist for depression ?
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry Debra that you are going through such a hard time. You are right to get help if you feel this low. I would suggest talking it through with your Doctor first and seeing who he/she recommends. Psychiatrist if you need to go down the medication route or Psychologist for counselling. About SAD, I got this pretty bad when I first moved to Sweden and experienced the long dark winters...gets dark here at 3pm!!! But found taking high doses of VItamin D really helped. Each winter has gotten easier since taking it. But of course you need to talk to your Doc first and decided whats best for you.

Good luck with it all.
    Yvonne

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debra, I like what Yvonne said. Sorry you are in a funk, from time to time I find myself down but for some reason I am able to pick myself up. You take care.
    Dale
    Dx Aug, 2009 Remission June 2010 until 8/1/2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would agree to go see your regular doctor, or give them a call, or see if you can send them a note via electronic means. My doc prescribed a very low dose antidepressant/sleep aid when I was on pred in heavy doses.

It is something that can be treated for sure! Take care!!!!!
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did mention it a few times to my pcp but he just blows it off. I think I will see about seeing a pysch.......I just hate to be on another drug that controls me but I will just start crying for no reason so I NEED to do something. I told my mother yesterday that the best years of my life are gone and I would not care if I die tomorrow
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Debra C View Post
    I did mention it a few times to my pcp but he just blows it off. I think I will see about seeing a pysch.......I just hate to be on another drug that controls me but I will just start crying for no reason so I NEED to do something. I told my mother yesterday that the best years of my life are gone and I would not care if I die tomorrow
    Can you get away for a couple days, and just do something FOR YOU? Run away to a spa, massage, etc. I know that helps me to get away--even for an afternoon.

Find a comedy club, or something that can make you laugh. Laughter sure helps. Find a friend that makes you happy to be with and spend some time with him/her. Try anything to make you smile! Volunteer somewhere where you can help someone else? There is no better feeling that making someone else's day!!
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your primary care doc is not taking you seriously you could self refer to a mental health professional. Depression is not something you just "get over", like a cold. Taking an anti-depressant is not the worst thing in the world; the trick is finding the right one. Some people take something (such as Wellbutrin) seasonally during the cold, dark months and find it very helpful. A "happy light" can also make a difference, as can regular exercise. I think a medical doctor, i.e. psychiatrist, would be able to offer the most full range of options, including medication if you decide you want to try it, and/or a referral to counseling if talk therapy is more appealing. I'm right there with you on the darkness and time change. The curtain is really coming down here in Alaska! Hang in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been depressed for some time now but thought I could just work through things without taking anything
    Debra,

I keep silent on many topics here because I know nothing about them. This aint one of those topics. I have no first hand experience with depression but I spent years on suicide watch with my wife. Depression is NOT something you ignore or try to work around. That's what Sue did her entire life. She was in denial of what should only be viewed as a serious medical condition.

I'd be honored if you (and anyone else interested) would read this:

A Loving Tribute To Susan White

Get help with depression and think of depression exactly the same as you think of and get help with Wegener's. Don't go it alone, ever.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been depressed for some time now but thought I could just work through things without taking anything.........well that's not working,I'm just getting worse. And I keep telling myself that soooooooooo many people are worse off than me so just get a grip.Needless to say ,I am losing my grip. I am sure I have that S.A.D.D ( seasonal disorder ) I hate this time of year,time changes next week ( which will make it worse ) ,theres just a lot of S*** going on in my life right now.
    So I decided to give in and go to someone about it but my question is.. is it better to see a psychiatrist or a psychologist for depression ?
    See both. One can give you meds to help and the other can help you sort out the stress in your life and how to best manage it.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like you need some meds to get going again but the meds don't control you, they just help charge up your battery and spoon supply so you have some energy to do what you need to do. They also helped me sleep better when I needed them.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast