Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Depression ??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gary, I hope you don't mind that I bookmarked that beautiful, loving tribute to Sue under my "health" label. I think it is worth reading over and over again even by someone who didn't know her.

Deb, I have dealt with depression throughout my life but I guess it was never severe enough for anyone to take it seriously. I did get counseling a few times, but it was mainly after a specific event, like the breakup of a relationship, etc. (Not even relationships that were worth getting all that broken up over.) Anyway, I'm sorry you are going through this and good advice has already been given. As for meds, I was taking a low to moderate dose of Zoloft for awhile, prescribed by my PA, not even an MD. I feel it helped me stay on an even keel and would consider taking it again. When I stopped, it was because the script ran out and I needed another appointment with the PA to get it renewed, which I have continued to procrastinate doing. I didn't find there to be withdrawal symptoms when I stopped, so I don't think of it as a heavy sedating or habit forming type med. There is a generic name for the drug which is escaping me at the moment, and it wasn't at all expensive. So you might give that some consideration. Best wishes to you for feeling better.... I can relate.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Debra,

I agree with everyone 's comments. I also think sometimes medics can be dismissive, because I think they feel it's almost normal to feel that way given what's happening in your life. Antidepressants can make things bearable. Psychologists/therapists can also help you with strategies to deal with life's tough stuff.

I regularly see a therapist and it has really helped me. I have a great dog, who gets me out of the house walking, even when I don't feel like it. When I'm feeling rough he knows, especially after cyclo when I'm walking really slow, he waits for me to catch up. When I'm throwing up he nuzzles my back! My family are great too!

Sometimes you feel you don't want to burden the people you love, but they don't feel that . So keep talking Debra, don't feel reluctant to tell people how you feel.

Take care.
    Bloom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    Gary, I hope you don't mind that I bookmarked that beautiful, loving tribute to Sue under my "health" label. I think it is worth reading over and over again even by someone who didn't know her.
    Thanks Anne. It was written because most of her friends didn't know any of the facts of her life which it details. Depression ruled her life, caused her to hide from a childhood diagnosis.

Thanks Debra for sharing your issue, and bringing it to the forefront here. It's best not to hide a medical issue due to social pressure and misunderstanding.

BTW, if you get pneumonia... it's not good to hide that either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know how you are feeling. My feelings of depression and worthlessness have gotten out of control and my anxiety runs high. We get connected to therapists at work so I got one ... and she's asked me to get a referral to a psychiatrist for medications. Hopefully, Kaiser will be able to get me in touch with someone who can just prescribe me meds. I don't want to have to talk to both the psychologist and the psychiatrist.
    But, something needs to give. I cannot feel like this anymore. It's affecting everything that I do.
    You can do this. There are so many different medications that there has to be something out there that actually helps. I had tried Zoloft before and it only made me feel flat. I had NO emotions and as a writer, that's not good. My psychologist says there are so many that sometimes it might take a few drugs to get the right one.
    We are all behind you.
    Officially Diagnosed 07/31/2013

My blog: http://nikkinicolealison.com

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deb, I am so sorry you are feeling that awful depression. I know exactly what that feels like and it is something that just immobilizes you and is hard to even have the energy to seek help. I am fortunate to have had a PCP that put me on Zoloft before I was even dx'd. I think you are very smart to know that you need to see someone that can help you. My thoughts about being depressed are that, yes I am and to be the person I want to be I take medication. I know that everyone wants to be that one person that can go thru things like water running off their back, but sometimes that is just not real. Deb, I wish you all the best and I really wish we could meet up sometime and have a laugh or two. Please take care of yourself. Hugs to you.
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deb, speaking up about it is your first step. I'm sending big hugs to you

My daughter is doing her Masters in Psychology and even she sees a doctor and a psychologist when things get too tough. Exams, boyfriends etc.
    Everyone has given such great advice which I hope you can take on board.

All I can say is - pop on over to Australia, the weather is beautiful (or too hot) at this time of year
    I know that's really hard but actually the weather does play a big part as you have already acknowledged.
    Vitamin D can also help.

Please continue to speak to us, because we of all people, are not here to pass judgement, only encouragement, and please see your doctor for some extra help.
    Last edited by mishb; 10-30-2015 at 09:02 PM.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Debra. I am sorry for your suffering. Thank you for sharing. The best way to treat depression is a combination of psychotherapy and medications. Needs to find the right med and it takes about 3 weeks untill it starts to work. Psychotherapy can help you feel better right from the first meeting if the psycholigist can understand you deeply. You will feel like the heaviness that burdens you is a bit lighter, having someone to carry it with you. What also helps is to walk daily, be in the sun/ enough light, and also omega3. For me praying helps a lot.
    Whatever you need to ask, I am here for you. You can send me pm here or on fb anytime.
    Sending my prayers and love ♡♡♡
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just want to Thank everyone for their response. I reread all the posts and again I am sitting here crying but this time it is because I have people that I have never met before take the time to try to help. Which is what this forum does ! Love and hugs to all of you (but Mish, I don't think I want you "bug" hugs !!!)

I found a dr yesterday who is a therapist and also a pysch. She is supposed to call today to see if see will see me as a patient but if so I can't get in till Dec. which I can hold out for. I have to take my mom back to our pcp on Fri. ( we were just in there last week and her bp was almost 300/137 so they took her by ambulance to the hosp. but they seem to have it under control for now. She just lost her 3 sisters this year to stoke or heart attack).sorry,off topic..but I will try to talk to him again.
    Its bad enough that this damn disease screws up our bodies but it also has to screw with our heads,but unfortunately that is just one of many issues.
    I will get this under control and thanks again everyone for being so caring, Love ya all
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deb,
    I am so glad that you got an appt. I know you will get this situation under control. I'm sorry that you have had so many losses this year. That has t be hard on you and your Mother. I hope that your Mother gets her BP under control and stabilized. I know what it is like to have to take care of those things also, my Mother lives beside of me also. It is added stress for you and it is hard on you. I know that you would not have it and other way and that is very commendable. I just want you to know that if you need to talk, I will be here. Please pm me if something is on your mind. I still would like to meet up sometime and we will.
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any medical doctor or nurse practitioner can prescribe an antidepressant for you. It might not be the right one or right dosage as they usually tend to under prescribe such meds. But some times they might give you too large of a dosage but I would take a chance instead of waiting for several weeks and try to get started on some thing sooner. A walk in clinic or the urgent care part of any mental health clinic should be able to get you started on some thing until you can set a mental health expert. Side effect risks are pretty minimal with the newer antidepressants. One of you current doctors might also order them with just a phone call to his or her office.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast