User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SpaceflightAddict Checking in: Two years with Wegener's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default SpaceflightAddict Checking in: Two years with Wegener's.

Good Afternoon Everyone!

I apologize for my lack of updates the past year and a half.

I know that I have missed some events on the board, but I have been checking in on everyone every once in a while. I gotta make sure my Weg's family is hanging in there

Alysia, if you are reading this, I want you to know what a huge impact Phil had on my life in the short time I knew him. He will forever in my heart be the man that saved me from a lifetime of sinus trouble, and that is one of the greatest gifts a Weggie can receive. I am sure that myself and many others here will promote his sinus health rituals for years to come, and I hope to one day be able to help someone else as much as Phil helped me. I never got the chance to thank him for what he gave to me, but I can still thank you for being there with him in his time of need.

Health wise, I am doing excellent.

There has not been a trace of disease activity in over a year; no crusting, no bleeding, and no pain. Just the occasional sore throat from my disfigured sinuses dripping down my throat.

I tapered completely off of prednisone around six months ago without issue, and stopped the Methotrexate and Bactrim 3 months ago. I am now medication free.

I got the first blood work back after stopping all medications a couple of weeks ago, and they were totally normal, no elevated inflammation markers anywhere.

I have even managed to lose ALL of my prednisone chub, and then some. When I was diagnosed, I weighed 185 pounds; at my peak a year and a half ago I was at 245; today, I am down to 175, and have been for a while now.

Life has returned to normal for me... I may even be busier than I was before diagnosis. I think I may even be healthier than I was before Wegener's. I have not smoked a cigarette in over two years now, and have not drank for almost as long. Before Wegener's I could walk up mountains without getting winded, and now I can run right up the side of them.

I am a happier and healthier person than I was before this disease came into my life..

I have a message for any young person that comes across this: Wegener's is not a condemnation of your life. I was diagnosed with this disease at the age of 27, and in very bad shape. I was very scared, and very uncertain of my future. I had a choice to make. I could either let the Wegener's control and guide my life, or I could take it as a challenge; something to be overcome and defeated.

I chose to take on this challenge. The battle has gone well so far, but I remain aware that Wegener's is an insidious enemy, and if given the opportunity will attack while your back is turned.
    Last edited by SpaceflightAddict; 10-23-2015 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Spelling correction
    "It takes less muscles to smile than it does to frown!"

-A quote to a doctor from me, in the hospital, while giving him a Bells Palsy smile (I was on some gooooood drugs at the time)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats on getting to weggie nirvana!! Hope it continues. Be vigilant!!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, congratulations! (I'm jealous!) (-8
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, it's so awesome to hear from you with all this good news! I hope all the new people will take heart at your message, and maybe some of us WG veterans, too. Being in MD, I'm wondering if you go to John's Hopkins, but either way, it sounds like you have excellent docs and got some significant help from Dr. Phil, too. Congrats on getting to this point, med free and with perfect blood work, in only two years, and on showing Wegs who is in control. We can't all do this, but you've shown us that it can be done. I know you will keep yourself monitored on a regular basis in case the Wegs dog should come whining at your door again. Keep us posted!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andy this is such awesome news. Congratulations.

Here's a little happy dance for you
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent news, its always good to here stories like this, just keep a check on your bloodwork.

all the best for the rest of your life.

Regards Woz.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your kind words about my beautiful Phil. It means more then I can express. Your thread about the boogers is one of the best.
    I am so glad that you are doing so well. It is great. Keep it and come to visit from time to time. I like your fighting spirit. Take care.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all so much for your congratulations!
    Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    Hey, it's so awesome to hear from you with all this good news! I hope all the new people will take heart at your message, and maybe some of us WG veterans, too. Being in MD, I'm wondering if you go to John's Hopkins, but either way, it sounds like you have excellent docs and got some significant help from Dr. Phil, too. Congrats on getting to this point, med free and with perfect blood work, in only two years, and on showing Wegs who is in control. We can't all do this, but you've shown us that it can be done. I know you will keep yourself monitored on a regular basis in case the Wegs dog should come whining at your door again. Keep us posted!

Hi Anne!

I am still going to Johns Hopkins, my doctors there are wonderful, and I recommend it without hesitation.

Even though I am in drug free remission, I am still keeping all of my regular appointments and labwork for the foreseeable future. If Mr. Wegener tries to poke his head in again, I plan to be ready

-A quote to a doctor from me, in the hospital, while giving him a Bells Palsy smile (I was on some gooooood drugs at the time)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceflightAddict View Post
    Even though I am in drug free remission, I am still keeping all of my regular appointments and labwork for the foreseeable future. If Mr. Wegener tries to poke his head in again, I plan to be ready
    Got any ideas better than monthly blood and urine testing? That's my plan. Seems to be the most reliable method of watching for the long dead Nazi doctor.

Like annual mamogram for breast cancer survivors. My wife stopped doing it a year or so before the return, and failed to spot it in time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
    Got any ideas better than monthly blood and urine testing?
    Not really. I am only doing labwork once every three months now. I am pretty in tune with my body now, so if I feel something is not right, I will be letting the doctor know right away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast