Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: WTC First Responder and my first post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes! The new young lady (Deb, I think?) inhaled silica and got WG from it!
    Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    I have heard since joining the forum in 2011 that silica dust, in raw form or fired, as in clay or glass making, has been thought to be a trigger for the onset of Wegs, even if only in those you describe as having a genetic predisposition. I make pottery, but there is no way of knowing whether the silica dust I've been exposed to was the trigger, though it could be. I remember people on here describing getting it after working in a glass bottle factory, and others who've mentioned certain areas in Wales, Canada, or elsewhere, where there were pockets of GPA cases within a small population and some kind of mining or chemical use was nearby. We'd have to search the archives to find these old posts. I also believe it can be triggered by infections in susceptible people, and a lingering cold could have been the trigger for me, followed by inhaling very strong incense at a funeral. Back to silica dust, I would think there'd be a LOT of it at the site of the destroyed WTC, along with many other nasty things that one shouldn't inhale.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spiritscript View Post
    Yes! The new young lady (Deb, I think?) inhaled silica and got WG from it!
    I make pottery, so I have inhaled some silica dust. There is no way of knowing whether this is why I have Wegs. It is possible, as are other things. We all inhale silica just walking down the street or along a wooded path, or in the desert. It is everywhere. It is a matter of degree. I don't know if we know for sure that Deb has a WG diagnosis. But she did indeed inhale SOMETHING, a lot of it, that was for killing bedbugs, and it may have had a lot of silica in it. If it was diatomaceous earth, the stuff I got for cat fleas has mostly amorphous silica which is less harmful than crystalline silica. And I have barely used it. We really don't know what Deb inhaled. But inhaling too much of anything is bad, and an extreme situation like the WTC aftermath or having even a 'natural' bug killer in one's bedclothes and heating ducts, would certainly be suspect. It would be nice to know more about exactly what happened in each of our cases to make us end up having WG.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, how did I not see the add on posts here! I have articles on the silica, Wg connection. I know for afact, yes a fact this is what triggered me. And yes it is wegeners, weather or not, I actually get it written in stone. This was to prevent bedbugs, not kill em. This was the wrong stuff too, as its used to deworm cows! Cows, are pretty big animals! It's pure dust! Stupid, stupid woman.... Fear got me real good...II have this still in coffee cans, thinking I could give it to some lab, to try proving the connection. Ya right, I can't even get a doctor to look past antibodies... Very expensive mistake, huh? Deb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So sorry for the typos! It is me, after all....... Deb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vdub View Post
    It looks like both studies talk about mine tailings and silica. The Libby, MT study references lumber mills, but, as I interpret it, suggests that the lumber people were exposed to silicate from the local mining industry and asbestos dusting of the road and not from by products of lumber production. Silica is pretty bad news for the human body.
    I guess I too have a minor connection with silica. We had a pool for over 10 years when I was growing up, and I was always in charge of filling/changing the pool filter with silica sand. I also used to dump the old sand in the horseshoe pits, where were would walk on it barefoot playing horseshoes on a regular basis (pretty much all weekend, all summer).

Interesting...
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG-2012 View Post
    I guess I too have a minor connection with silica. We had a pool for over 10 years when I was growing up, and I was always in charge of filling/changing the pool filter with silica sand. I also used to dump the old sand in the horseshoe pits, where were would walk on it barefoot playing horseshoes on a regular basis (pretty much all weekend, all summer).

Interesting...
    Yes, interesting. I'd think the size of the grains of sand would make some difference as to the inhalability. But there'd no doubt be some dust from stirring it up much or dumping it into horseshoe pits. I'm going to try to get a better dust mask this year, one that won't fog up my glasses. Bandanas are probably not good enough protection. People who go to the beach a lot should also keep in mind, sand is made up mostly of silica, as far as I know! But don't let that stop you from going; I don't think you'll be breathing clouds of dust from it unless it is very windy and the sand is pretty fine and dry.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, Deb, I snuck that on late last night. Getting too caught up when I should be doing other things. But I think it's good you saved that stuff and hope you can get it analyzed some day. And I'm not saying you don't have WG. You probably do. I just would like to see a little faster co-operation from the medical community there in getting it pinned down and getting you treated.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anne, because the sand at the beach is more crystallized, I was thinking this to be different, not sure. It only makes sense that anything inhaled for an extended period would be suspect. My stuff is i think different from youres Anne, as mine was/ is very fine. Like powder. There's a woman down stairs that uses this, only hers being the correct stuff! Hers is like rock salt. Nothing to breath in. It's not sold anywhere except on line. I wish I never met this woman! Had I not, I wouldn't know about this stuff. Interesting stuff, nevertheless..... Deb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Anne! Anne, something has got to give, ya know? I understand the caution, and reluctance, to treat, while no real biopsy/ antibodies. I'm trying to see things from their veiw, and have more compation, because this helps me to not blow a gasket... I'm not very patient. God knows I'm learning. It's like this disease has a brain! He is very sneaky. Has his own personality. I hate him, Anne...... Me! Xo Xo Xo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by debra View Post
    Anne, because the sand at the beach is more crystallized, I was thinking this to be different, not sure. It only makes sense that anything inhaled for an extended period would be suspect. My stuff is i think different from youres Anne, as mine was/ is very fine. Like powder. There's a woman down stairs that uses this, only hers being the correct stuff! Hers is like rock salt. Nothing to breath in. It's not sold anywhere except on line. I wish I never met this woman! Had I not, I wouldn't know about this stuff. Interesting stuff, nevertheless..... Deb.
    No, my stuff is very fine, like powder. Not at all like rock salt. It says it contains amorphous silica, which is not as dangerous as crystalline silica, which is probably what is in pottery. I am not a scientist and cannot explain the differences. We just shouldn't breathe a lot of any fine dust-like powder. It is dangerous to breathe much talc, yet people have been using it on babies for many years. I buy cornstarch body powder, but even that I am cautious of. Of course, some things are worse than others. BTW I have very rarely used that stuff on my cats and not at all since you came on here. I still would, with a proper dust mask, and cautiously and sparingly, so as not to harm the cats. I think moderation is the key.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast