Likes Likes:  0

Thread: DNA studies for GPA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default DNA studies for GPA

I was doing another DNA test with 23 and me mainly for the purpose of genealogy but when 23 and me began they emphasized genetic research for health related issues and asked participants to fill out numerous questionnaires to try find genetic links to various health problems. I filled out several even though they are no longer allowed to give out health info in the USA but can do so in some other countries.

I also donated DNA to Mayo Clinic as part of their genetic research into GPA.

I wonder how many others have contributed to this or other genetic studies trying to find more info on who is likely to succumb to GPA and why.
    Last edited by drz; 10-13-2015 at 03:12 AM.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I gave DNA shortly after I was dxed to a study at Mt Sinai in Toronto. Haven't followed up to see if there are any findings. Did similar at Cleveland Clinic. I'll have to ask Dr Villa Forte next time I see her.

Also, Dr Gary Hoffman from Cleveland Clinic is speaking at the West Central Ohio Chapter of the Vasculitis Foundation meeting on Oct 29 (6:30 pm) in Springfield. Interested parties an pm me for details...
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

Thanks for your post. I was diagnosed last year so this was news to me. I just contacted the Vasculitis Foundation Canada and will also be donating my DNA to Dr. Siminovitch, Mt Sinai in Toronto. Hopefully if it can't help me it will help other Weggies down the road.

Erin

Erin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have donated DNA and other labs for a study being done at NIH in Bethesda MD which is being handled by Dr Peter Grayson. Always willing to give samples for study to enhavce any treatment, diagnosis or cause to possibly help another down the road as they deal with GPA!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am participating in a study through UPMC.. they take blood every 3 months or so and I fill out physical and mental questionnaire. No news on if it is helping but I am willing to give my dna to help someone find a cure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've donated also for Cambridge University studies. Blood, nasal swabs and saliva swabs.
    Diagnosed April 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This all sounds very good. Thank you all for donating your DNA. I don't actually know who to contact or how to donate my DNA. I'm sure I could find out with a little research, but maybe someone can steer me in the right direction.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011