Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Kidney transplant

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Kidney transplant

I have undergone kidney transplant recently. What are diet foods which I should follow to keep good health

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Raner and welcome,
    I've not had a transplant but that's a really important question. Can you ask your nephrologist? Or have them refer you to a nutritionist familiar with transplants.

Best & stay well!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, your nephrologist should have information for you. In the meantime, this was an excellent resource for our family when we started dating with kidney involvement Kidney disease and dialysis information - DaVita

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you

Sent from my C2305 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m so sorry you had a transplant, but I hope you’re doing much better now!

I had a kidney transplant in 2012 and it’s still going strong. A kidney transplant may sometimes be slow in getting started, so my doctor had me follow a diet for some time.

When you take steroid medication, it is difficult for your body to use extra carbohydrates. My doctor had me limit simple carbohydrates in my diet. Simple carbs include sugar, sweets and soda. Complex carbs, such as pasta, bread, unsweetened cereal, and grains, should be included in your daily diet.

Most transplant recipients still need to restrict salt, although I’m sure it can vary with each person. My doctor just told me not to go “salt-crazy,” but I still tried to limit my salt intake. Transplant medications, especially steroids, may cause your body to retain fluid. Salt makes this problem worse, increasing fluid retention and raising blood pressure. Controlling blood pressure is very important to your transplant.

My doctor also told me to increase my protein intake right after my transplant to help build up the muscle tissue that will be broken down by the large doses of steroids. After some time, I returned to moderate amounts of protein.

I’m sure there were other things, but since the transplant was a few years ago I don’t remember everything I could/couldn’t eat. Your diet may be different than mine was if you take different medications than I do, so I would definitely talk to your doctor since they will be able to tell you the diet they recommend you follow. Your nephrologist can also refer you to a dietician/nutritionist.

I hope this kind of helps, and I’m sorry if there are a lot of typos… I just got home after a long day of school and work. And I have a new macbook which loves to autocorrect like my iPhone.
    Nothing can break you; you are much stronger than you think... look at what you've already survived.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank u rebekah....... I'm very much fond of foods.... I love to eat.....so confirm..... I asked what to do

Sent from my C2305 using Tapatalk