Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Took some prednisone today...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Took some prednisone today...

Yup. Had a ton left over from last time it was prescribed as he admittedly can't count. It is not old or expired. I have what is called a pyoderma gangerosum and it is the most excruciating pain ever. I reached my limit and took 50mg voluntarily. I will take it until it runs out. I hate prednisone but I hate this so much more...
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds just terrible. Please to be sure to also see your Dr about this. Perhaps some of the other therapies could help you and also you don't want to run out of pred if you still need it.
    Just from a quick search I see that some people take medical marijuana for the pain. I hope it gets better for you soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to family doctor today as the nurses that dress it feel it's infected. The prednisone is for the pyoderma but he gave me too much. I don't know how to explain the pain.
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm wishing you fast relief from your pain and suffering. Do you also have to take any antibiotics for that, it sounds really painful, where is it located?
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my little search on the subject I saw that anti-biotics are some times used for the pyoderma. I would think this would be true especially if there is possible infection.
    I did read also that sometimes the pyoderma itself is sometimes confused with an infection and apparently it is not. It just sounds very difficult to deal with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got some antibiotics today as they believe it is infected. I have had it for over a year now. It was getting better but they change treatments as it progresses and unfortunately, some treatments they try make it worse. Also, I see different nurses all of the time and each time I have to tell them I have an auto immune disease and that it is part of the reason not only that I got this but also that it is slow to heal. "Oh, they say, yes that does slow it down. " is it lupus? When I tell the, it is wegeners or gpa they nod but have a confused look on their face. They have not heard of it.

It takes about four hours after a dressing change for the pain to decrease to a 6-7 out of ten. I am officially sick of this!
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And it is on my right shin.
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by me2 View Post
    In my little search on the subject I saw that anti-biotics are some times used for the pyoderma. I would think this would be true especially if there is possible infection.
    I did read also that sometimes the pyoderma itself is sometimes confused with an infection and apparently it is not. It just sounds very difficult to deal with.

My my husbands boss has one. They spent the first month treating it as a brown recluse spider bite! Miss diagnosis at its worst. You need to be gental with a pyoderma and keep it moist to heal it. They sucked the venom that was not there out with a venom sucking machine and he underwent 4 surgeries to grind away skin. They mad it really bad and he was close to losing his leg. I told him it looked like mine and to get his but to a proper teaching hospital ear where they will want to figure it out. 24 hours later =no spider bite!
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. While I was reading up on it I saw one reference to someone having luck using drawing salve (ichthammol). This is something I recently discovered for my own use. There are some anecdotal stories that make it sound pretty miraculous for a variety of conditions. ichthammol Misc Reviews and User Ratings: Effectiveness, Ease of Use, and Satisfaction

I was so impressed by what I read about treating infection with it that I got some to keep on hand. I have only used it once for a deep sliver but it did work on that over night.
    If it were me I would ask my doc if it was something appropriate to try. It sounds like there are not any sure fire regular pharmaceutical treatments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, Leigh. Sorry to hear about this problem and the pain. Sounds like a lot of ideas out there you can try. I always think it's good to have some extra pred around for emergencies. I hope the antibiotics help and that we hear a report of improvement from you.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast