User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Probiotics and Antibiotics - Who Knew?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Probiotics and Antibiotics - Who Knew?

Probably every one but me knows this. My PCP just prescribed an antibiotic. Because I also take probiotics, she mentioned that I should not take them together. I should take them at least three hours apart. Evidently, a probiotic will cancel out the effects of the antibiotic.

Hmmmm....... I have been on a long-term antibiotic for at least 6 months. And you guessed it...I take the antibiotic and the probiotic at the same time with breakfast. Gah! 6 months down the drain! Oh well. At least now I know. I thought I had better share this with the forum in case anyone else is doing the same thing. We learn from each others successes and goof-ups!
    Last edited by BookNut; 09-16-2015 at 02:07 PM.
    Jacquie (aka Lifelong Booknut)

Updated status: "Honorary Weggie"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BookNut View Post
    Probably every one but me knows this. My PCP just prescribed an antibiotic. Because I also take probiotics, she mentioned that I should not take them together. I should take them at least three hours apart. Evidently, a probiotic will cancel out the effects of the antibiotic.

Hmmmm....... I have been on a long-term antibiotic for at least 6 months. And you guessed it...I take the antibiotic and the probiotic at the same time with breakfast. Gah! 6 months down the drain! Oh well. At least now I know. I thought I had better share this with the forum in case anyone else is doing the same thing. We learn from each others successes and goof-ups!

Particle + Anti-Particle cancels each other out in a STUNNINGLY huge burst of energy. (puts an atomic bomb to shame)

I'm thinking it's a miracle you're still around to tell the tale!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. I know that probiotics "cancell" antibiotics if taken together. Thanks for sharing. I cant bear probiotics.
    Maybe this is why you still have infection ?
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did not know this! Makes sense though...Thanks for sharing..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then why do they tell us to eat yogurt when taking antibiotics, to work against thrush, or yeast growth, in the mouth, and to alleviate some digestive problems such as diarrhea? I thought antibiotics killed off a lot of the normal bacteria in our systems and yogurt or kefir would replace some of them. Maybe it is a matter of concentration, as pure probiotics would have a lot more in them than the amount in yogurt. I've been taking Bactrim for years and do eat yogurt, but not for that reason, just because I eat it anyway. I don't take actual probiotics other than what is in the yogurt.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    Then why do they tell us to eat yogurt when taking antibiotics, to work against thrush, or yeast growth, in the mouth, and to alleviate some digestive problems such as diarrhea? I thought antibiotics killed off a lot of the normal bacteria in our systems and yogurt or kefir would replace some of them. Maybe it is a matter of concentration, as pure probiotics would have a lot more in them than the amount in yogurt. I've been taking Bactrim for years and do eat yogurt, but not for that reason, just because I eat it anyway. I don't take actual probiotics other than what is in the yogurt.
    Most antibiotics don't kill the flora and fauna in your colon, that's what probiotics and yogurt are suplementing. The antibiotics which kill the stuff in your colon are usually called "broad spectrum" antibiotics. In that case it's a great idea to take the probiotics at the same time, and for quite a while after. It can take a month or more of heavy probiotics to restore the damage done to your colon through the use of broad spectrum antibiotics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
    Most antibiotics don't kill the flora and fauna in your colon, that's what probiotics and yogurt are suplementing. The antibiotics which kill the stuff in your colon are usually called "broad spectrum" antibiotics. In that case it's a great idea to take the probiotics at the same time, and for quite a while after. It can take a month or more of heavy probiotics to restore the damage done to your colon through the use of broad spectrum antibiotics.
    Thanks, Birdie. I have taken broad spectrum antibiotics before and that's when I was told to eat yogurt, etc., and was prescribed that stuff to rinse your mouth with to kill thrush, when it develops in there. So we need to be distinguishing between what types of antibiotics we are talking about, as to whether we should be eating yogurt and taking antibiotics or not, apparently, according to what you say. I don't know what kind of "spectrum" Bactrim DS, 3X/wk is. But I know that I don't get thrush or have digestive issues and I do eat a moderate, but not huge, amount of yogurt.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Birdie. I have taken broad spectrum antibiotics before and that's when I was told to eat yogurt, etc., and was prescribed that stuff to rinse your mouth with to kill thrush, when it develops in there. So we need to be distinguishing between what types of antibiotics we are talking about, as to whether we should be eating yogurt and taking antibiotics or not, apparently, according to what you say. I don't know what kind of "spectrum" Bactrim DS, 3X/wk is. But I know that I don't get thrush or have digestive issues and I do eat a moderate, but not huge, amount of yogurt.
    Antibiotics or not, pill or yogurt, probiotics are a great idea for digestive health. Take both, flora and fauna. When it comes to yogurt I was told by the best colon doc that Activia is the only one he suggests. Claimed the rest have almost no probiotic benefit, followed by a long explanation of how they're made/processed/packaged/shipped/stored... etc... I got bored with that part.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
    Antibiotics or not, pill or yogurt, probiotics are a great idea for digestive health. Take both, flora and fauna. When it comes to yogurt I was told by the best colon doc that Activia is the only one he suggests. Claimed the rest have almost no probiotic benefit, followed by a long explanation of how they're made/processed/packaged/shipped/stored... etc... I got bored with that part.
    The Googling I've been doing on this supports what you are saying, that it is OK and helpful to take probiotics along with antibiotics, or in general. Some of the results suggest timing the doses with a couple of hours in between, that is, not taking them at the same time. I'm not too worried about it but obviously there are some who are. Aha! I just re-read Jacquie's original post here and see that she was advised to take them both, just not at the same time of day, but to put at least 3 hours between them! So I should have read it better the first time. Sorry, Jacquie!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Googling I've been doing on this supports what you are saying
    It's a subject I've studied in depth, threat of a fecal transplant is a fantastic motivator.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast