User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Balloon Sinuplasty -- any experiences?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Balloon Sinuplasty -- any experiences?

Hi Everyone!

A recent CT scan of my sinuses uncovered "chronic inflammation" of my left sphenoid sinus. My ENT is recommending balloon sinuplasty to reshape that sinus and reduce inflammation.

Does anyone have experience with balloon sinuplasty? If so, did it help/hurt you? Is it really effective for WG or just for normal sinusitis? My ENT doesn't have much experience with WG (only one other patient in his career), so I want to make an informed decision about this.

My current symptoms are just a lot of mucous coming from that nostril, which has been there since I was diagnosed 1.5 yrs ago. I can live with the mucous, so I'm wondering if I should even bother with the procedure. I'm also technically currently in remission (from RTX and am scheduled for a 6-month refresher dose in October) and I don't think I have any active disease.

Thank you in advance for any and all input!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by morningsunshine View Post
    My current symptoms are just a lot of mucous coming from that nostril, which has been there since I was diagnosed 1.5 yrs ago. I can live with the mucous, so I'm wondering if I should even bother with the procedure.
    I turned it down and dumped the ENT who wanted to do it. He wasn't listening to ME. Seemed like a kid who wanted to play with a new toy. That was three years ago and I've had no issues. The real problem was infections. I make certain to get infections treated immediately to keep my nose clear and prevent more deterioration. By the way... just because they test and don't find a sinus infection does not mean you don't have a sinus infection, or eight different infections, sigh.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, ENTs have more toys than I could ever imagine...many were tried out on me. A sinusplasty may reshape your sinuses, but it won't reduce the amount of mucous one produces. Better to simply keep it clean as possible. Best to you.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to you both! I'm still debating the procedure and I'll let you know what I decide.

I do daily (morning) sinus rinses and its amazing how much they help. I also just moved from sea level to 6,000 feet elevation, so I think they're still adjusting.
    "Drink your tea slowly and reverently, as if it is the axis on which the whole earth revolves—slowly, evenly, without rushing toward the future. Live the actual moment. Only this actual moment is life." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Everyone!

A recent CT scan of my sinuses uncovered "chronic inflammation" of my left sphenoid sinus. My ENT is recommending balloon sinuplasty to reshape that sinus and reduce inflammation.

Does anyone have experience with balloon sinuplasty? If so, did it help/hurt you? Is it really effective for WG or just for normal sinusitis? My ENT doesn't have much experience with WG (only one other patient in his career), so I want to make an informed decision about this.

My current symptoms are just a lot of mucous coming from that nostril, which has been there since I was diagnosed 1.5 yrs ago. I can live with the mucous, so I'm wondering if I should even bother with the procedure. I'm also technically currently in remission (from RTX and am scheduled for a 6-month refresher dose in October) and I don't think I have any active disease.

Thank you in advance for any and all input!!
    My ENT mentioned it once and we both decided that the high cost of the procedure was not going to benefit me much in the long run. If there is chronic inflammation, maybe a short dose of pred? I've been coached on how to get saline into my left sphenoid sinus withe th waterpik.

Maybe have him do a culture of that inflammation and mucus to rule out an infection? Mine does cultures at the first sign of anything out of the ordinary, and then gets an antibiotic and/or rinse that is effective against that specific bug.
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the ballon done just months before my DX. I spent one night in the hospital and there was no pain or after effects!
    I have to report though that while the procedure worked for me for about a week before I started having problems again! I had it done 2 more times while being scoped down my throat and having polyps removed from my larynx! The ENT did the balloon then also and I never knew he did it except he told me he did!
    For someone with a chronic sinus condition ,unrelated to Wegeners, it is a good procedure! I would have it done again if it would hold more than a week! There are others who have had it done and are free of sinus problems.
    Nobody knows how we got to the top of the hill. But since were on the way down, we might as well enjoy the ride!
    James Taylor, Secret Of Life

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MikeG: where did you learn to use a waterpik? I do daily sinus rinses with a squeeze bottle, but have never had any coaching. (also, I'm coming off a pred taper from 80mg to 5mg and the inflammation lasted through that...)

Tom: Thanks for the feedback! I'm sorry to hear that it didn't help, but I'm glad to hear the balloon sinusplasty didn't cause any further problems!

I have an appointment to see my dr. in October to discuss the options. Thanks again to all for the feedback!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MikeG: where did you learn to use a waterpik? I do daily sinus rinses with a squeeze bottle, but have never had any coaching. (also, I'm coming off a pred taper from 80mg to 5mg and the inflammation lasted through that...) I have an appointment to see my dr. in October to discuss the options. Thanks again to all for the feedback!
    I bought a SinuPulse Elite machine a bunch of years ago, and that burned out and I bought a WaterPik that the tips from the SinuPulse fit. I like the waterpik over the bottles because it holds more saline, is less aggressive than the flow from the bottles (if you squeeze them too hard--they can be bad for the ears). Here's a copy from a post I made a while ago:

I use this Waterpik with this attachment (first one on the page. It gives the Waterpik and Interplak models that it fits in the description)

I started my Waterpiking journey with this device, and fried it by overflowing the basin and shorting it out. So in desperation, I looked for a Waterpik locally and found that my tips from the SinuPulse fit a Waterpik I could buy locally for $49.00.

Check with your ENT on using one too. Mine has coached me on how to get a waterpik wand directly into my sinuses. Sounds gross, but it sure gets the crusts out.

Mike
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Mike! I really appreciate the details about the waterpik. I think I'll try that first, and also see what my ENT has to say in person next week.

Thank you again for your help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Mike! I really appreciate the details about the waterpik. I think I'll try that first, and also see what my ENT has to say in person next week.

Thank you again for your help!
    You're very welcome!
    MikeG-2012