Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Been a long couple months

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Been a long couple months

Hi everyone! Long lost Mike here. I was unable to get on to the forum and/or tapatalk for a while, so I'm now back and posting.

A lot has happened while I was away. About two months ago, I strained my MCL in my left knee. That is still healing now, and was starting to feel better.

I had a rheumy appointment two weeks ago, and everything looks great. Inflammation numbers are down, and disease seems to be inactive at the present time. So all is good on the wegs front.

A week after my rheumy appointment, I was walking with a co-worker and heard an awful snapping, cracking sound. It came from my foot. Went for an x-ray, and I found out that, "you know you're in trouble when..." the x-ray tech comes out, asks you to take a seat because the doctor at the clinic is going to look at your x-ray. X-ray people can't tell you that your foot is broke, but you can sure read their tone of voice and facial expressions! Yep, went home in a boot and crutches. That was on a Monday. Wednesday, went to see an orthopedic surgeon to get a real diagnosis, yep broken. Broke the fifth metatarsal on my right foot. So NOW, broken foot on one side, strained MCL on the other. Crutches for another 3-5 weeks now. <sigh> Working on a 50 acre college campus is a real bummer on crutches!!!

Man, I need a vacation. WAIT! I had a bike (motorcycle) trip scheduled for this weekend. BZZZT! Cancelled!

Man, I need a break (not literally though, got one of those)!!!

Thanks for listening!
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear wishing you a speedy recovery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hoping the recovery is quick and uneventful!!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's awful, Mike. Weird that it could just happen while you were walking. Any theories as to why.... weakened bones from pred, or? I hope it heals quickly, along with the knee thing, so you can resume your normal activities without crutches and ride your motorcycle again.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone. I remember doing something and, only half remembering now, dropping something on my foot. I do remember saying, "that's gonna leave a mark...". Well, that is when I think I probably stress fractured it. I do trudge through a lot of pain before I go down. So that, along with the neuropothy, in my feet probably deadened the pain enough that I was able to get around. Finally that stress fracture just gave way and broke.

Bone density looked good a month ago when I went in for a baseline reading. Showed "minimal loss, but not anything to worry about, not brittle..." yada, yada, yada. Guess it might have been enough for me to stress fracture it anyway!

It is what it is!
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So sorry to hear about all this. Glad the Weg is quiet though. Guess you have to concentrate on that as you heal. Good thoughts coming your way! And glad to see you posting again.
    Jacquie (aka Lifelong Booknut)

Updated status: "Honorary Weggie"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found a pretty reasonably priced scooter to get around the college campus and bought one this week. It is a convertible one that lets one remove the seat and ride it standing. I did get a prescription from my doctor, so let's see how much the insurance will cover it, if any.

Big-Toys-MotoTec-36V-Battery-Powered-Trike-MT-TRK-350.jpg

I've had it one day on campus and I already felt better at the end of the day. I'll let you all know how it works over the next couple weeks.
    MikeG-2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cute! Looks like a lot more fun than crutches.
    Linda
    dx September 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was picturing the typical 'little-old-lady' scooter... this is much sportier looking!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LCL2013 View Post
    Cute! Looks like a lot more fun than crutches.
    As the KoolAid man used to say "OHHH YEAAA"

15 MPH top speed, so this ain't your grandma's scooter! LOL!
    MikeG-2012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast