Thread: Help regarding diagnosis??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Help regarding diagnosis??

Hello, to all.

I am new to the forum and I am in Western Australia. After repeated bouts of eye inflammation, ear pain, sensory neuropathy, visual issues, tingling and numbness in my arms, hands, legs and feet, sensitivity to cold, inflammation around the exterior of my nose, sore throat/losing my voice, strange wrinkled skin (and the list goes on) my doctor decided to run a test for ANCA. The test came back positive for
    cANCA, but negative for PR3 and MPO. He says that I don't have Wegs and that I will never develop it? Is that possible?? I have read that if you test positive for cANCA and negative for PR3 and MPO, you still have the disease but may be in remission?? My inflammation markers were elevated in May, but since I had what I call an "attack" (the last week in July, when the ANCA blood test was taken), where I had partial paralysis of my arms and legs and was put in hospital...strangely my inflammation markers and all other blood test results have been within the normal parameters.

Has anyone had an experience like this, or does anyone know much about cANCA and PR3 and MPO? My doctor is very stubborn and won't refer me on to anyone as he believes that I don't have the disease, however he hasn't really taken into account my symptoms, he is just looking at the blood test results. Meantime I am continuing to suffer with these problems and feel that I am deteriorating.

Any advice would be greatly received. As would anyone out there that may know of someone in Perth, Western Australia that is experienced in dealing with Wegs. I guess I need to definitively rule it in or out and so far the doctor I have seems to know very little about it.

Thanks for allowing me to share on your forum.

Cindy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Cindi,

Positive ankas are not necessary for a diagnosis of Wegener's or
    vasculitis. However you do have a positive c anka so I don't
    understand what your doctor means. Is he a rheumatologist? At a
    minimum, you need a consult with a knowledgeable rheumatologist.
    These are very rare diseases and many doctors have never seen a case.
    Here are a couple of sites that give info on diagnosis that might
    be helpful to you:

Granulomatosis With Polyangiitis (GPA)

Vasculitis Foundation » Frequently Asked Questions

https://labtestsonline.org/understan...anca/tab/test/
    As you can see from the 1st site, diagnosis is
    complicated & you need more than a blood test. (We are all
    different—but just as an aside I was originally diagnosed with
    limited wegs without a biopsy)

We have some Australian members, and I think someone will have
    info about doctors for you.

In the meantime, I hope you find answers and successful treatment
    soon .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm--sorry, I lost a few lines from my post. I wanted to say welcome & I'm glad you found us & I think the folks here will be able to help you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Cindy,

Can you get another doctor on your own, or are you stuck with this one? Some of the Aussies will likely chime in soon with suggestions.

The ANCA tests are not sufficient for diagnosis. The most accurate diagnostic is a biopsy of the affected tissues to see if granulomas are present. This is an invasive procedure that usually requires general anesthesia. Symptoms can also provide clues.

The best advice I can give you is to find a doctor who has experience treating Vasculitis (wegs is one of over a dozen forms of it) and follow his/her treatment plan. I doubt that your doctor has much experience treating Vasculitis (and you should ask).

Good luck, and let us know how you're doing!!
    Last edited by Pete; 09-07-2015 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Added "treating Vasculitis"
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he is adamant that you don't have Wegs, what is his diagnosis that would explain all your symptoms? There are many types of autoimmune disorder and you may well have one (it might not be Wegs) but it seems you will need a better doctor to get a correct diagnosis and appropriate treatment.

No good doctor will tell you that you will never develop ​a certain disease since no one can predict that. I would also strongly encourage you to get another evaluation from some one with more experience and skill in treating autoimmune disorders on the likely chance that is what you have.

If the lab results are correct they would be a little unusual for an active case of Wegs. Often ANCA tests are negative in people with Wegs but a positive ANCA test should have some PR3 85% of the time, but that means in 15% it doesn't. The numbers for MPO run lower. But the absence of either PR3 or MPO is a positive thing in that those people had a higher survival rate in one study. See these links:

https://labtestsonline.org/understan...anca/tab/test/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2684710/

My doctor at Mayo wrote this article which also points out some things doctors should know about ANCA testing but many don't:

http://www.the-rheumatologist.org/ar...-anca-testing/
    Last edited by drz; 09-08-2015 at 01:46 AM.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cnorth View Post
    He says that I don't have Wegs and that I will never develop it? Is that possible??
    Welcome Cindy,

Let's see if I understand from what you posted. You need a different doctor and you already knew that. You may have Wegeners or you may not but you knew that as well. You were told it's not Wegeners but you know to ignore that guy. Seems like you have a good understanding of your situation. Your understanding improves your odds of quick recovery.

I had most of your symptoms including "(and the list goes on)". When I realized I was rapidly deteriorating there was only about a month before suffering organ damage. Time is critical if it's WG so don't relax, don't accept "might be" something, most of all don't be ignored or put on hold.

Ask your questions here and there's bound to be somebody who knows the answer first hand. The answers come quick too.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Cnorth, you definitely have something going on, and the sooner you find the answers, and get the healing process going, the better, If your doctor is not being proactive, I would be getting a second opinion, I would be seeing a rheumatologist or someone in immunology, all the best.

Regards Woz

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello, and thank you all for your advice, comments and warm welcome. You have certainly given me the courage to push forward and find some answers as to what is going on. Just got a couple of things that some of you may know something about:
    1. Did any of you have high liver enzymes with Wegs?? I have had consistent high ALP and GGT enzymes for about 8 years now.
    2. My inflammatory markers were at 20 and 27 (ESR) in May and June, however strangely when I had what I call the "attack" at the end of July they were at 16 and 7 mm/hr. Have any of you experienced prolonged periods of high inflammation, and then have the symptoms appear much later? So in my case my inflammation was obviously up in May and June, however the effects of it didn't actually catch up with me until later in July (and consequently well after my inflammation had gone down). Here we are in September and I am still feeling the effects and have all the symptoms - Is that possible?
    3. With Wegs after you have an attack and the inflammation goes down, do your symptoms settle and you feel ok again, or is it always a day by day battle, feeling terrible even after the attack is over?

Also I questioned my doctor as to why he didn't think I had Wegs given that I have a positive cANCA (even though the PR3 and MPO were negative). His reasoning is that apparently you can have positive cANCA without the disease, he said that apparently there has been a study done (here in Australia I think) in which 7% of the test population, tested positive to ANCA but had no signs of the disease, even when watched over a long period of time. I have no knowledge of this study (tried to look it up/google it, couldn't find anything) so I don't know whether that is true of not!

Sorry if these sound like really silly questions to you all, I am just trying to get a bit of a handle on what's going on. Thanking you all again.

Cindy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Cindy,

Once a flare is over, you should start to feel better each day. The improvement may be slow. If there wasn't too much damage done, you might get back to pre-wegs health. Hope so for your sake.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome, Cindy. I wish all your questions were easily answered. I have WG but at dx had only a barely positive anca and haven't had it tested since. A nasal biopsy proved I have it and all my symptoms are classic. It's true that flares and symptoms can come and go whether you are being treated or not. Many of us have had 'smoldering' WG for months or years before dx, where symptoms came and went and seemed like other conditions. If your doc is not a rheumatologist, or even if he is, I think it would be wise to seek a second opinion from one who has experience with WG and vasculitis in general. There are several Aussie members on here and some may live near you. I'd get in touch with Michelle, for one, who can connect you with an AU facebook group. Also there is a map link in blue at top of this page which will show you where others live, if they have added themselves to the map. Anyone on here would be open to a private message from you, I think. Maybe you can get the name of a doc or center where you could be evaluated and treated if necessary. And if your doc doesn't think you have WG, he should be doing more to find out what you do have! He has no business saying you will never develop WG. Stubborn doctors are the worst kind, IMO, and likely have caused considerable damage and deaths. Keep us posted and continue to ask any questions.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast