Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flutter Valve

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Flutter Valve

Does anybody use a flutter valve? It is a little plastic device that looks like a pipe that you blow into. There is a silver ball on the inside. When you blow into it, it vibrates your neck to help loosen "stuff" up. It helps me a little bit.
    Does anybody cough up mucous/green flem junk from your chest? Not sure if that is something from asthma or wegener's or both.
    For those of you that just have your sinuses and upper airway affected, how long did it take the methotrexate to start working? I have been on steroids for about 3 months and the methotrexate for almost 1 month. I am still wheezy in my upper chest. Like it doesn't feel like my lungs but deep in my chest.
    I sound like I have smoked cigarretes all my life when I have my deep coughing attack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have an infection? Green mucous stuff is a sign of infection. How long have you been coughing up this green stuff? Fever? Chills? My sister takes methotrexate and that worked pretty quick for her. Seems like the wegeners is active too. I am just guessing by your symptoms.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It comes and goes, sometimes it is green and sometimes it is clear or white-ish. I am on bactrim, wouldn't that help if it was an infection?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brooke, I'm concerned that you're having a common reaction to the methotrexate, called lung infiltrates. I had that and it feels and sounds like pneumonia. It's actually an allergic reaction to mtx. You need a chest x-ray and probably a chest CT also. Lung infiltrates look like atypical (viral) pneumonia, so you can expect some confusion.

You may have a bacterial infection with or without infiltrates. Bactrim will not necessarily treat all infections--you need the right antibiotic.

Any of the possibilities are serious. Please see a doctor asap. I wouldn't wait until Monday. This would be reason for an ER visit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brooke, I agree with Sangye. Your really need to go to the doctor today. Be persistant, don't let the doctors kick you out the door . If your not feeling right tell them, you know something is not right. Keep telling them that! From reading your post I know something is not right. Please Go!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had this before I started the methotrexate, so I dont' think it is a reaction to it. I have had it for years, coming and going.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So maybe it's an infection. But now you're on immune-suppressing drugs. So before maybe your body could contain it-- not overcome it completely (it was on/off) but keep the lid on it. Once you're on immune-suppressants your body loses the ability to contain infections. Even a small infection can turn deadly quite quickly.

I've only had one UTI in my life. I had a kidney stone last year and a few days afterwards developed sudden pain in my kidney and bladder. Within ONE HOUR it became a full-blown advanced kidney and bladder infection. Fortunately I had the right antibiotic on hand and started it. I also got pure cranberry juice and drank glass after glass. But I was amazed at how fast that infection took hold.
    Last edited by Sangye; 12-20-2009 at 06:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Brooke:

This flutter valve sounds interesting. I live up in Swift Current, Saskatchewan, Canada. Do you know where I might be able to get one?

Over and Out,
    Phil of the north

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flutter Valve Mucus Clearance Device

here is a link to show what it is and shows a picture of one. I had my pulmonologist fax a script over to a medical supply store and I picked it up there. I would think you could order one online if you would like though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought a flutter valve and it did nothing for me at all except lighten my wallet.

As already mentioned, green mucus is a sign of infection. I have just had this in spite of taking bactrim and it went away within a few days of switching my antibiotic to amoxycillin.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast