User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: For those with kidney involvement--question about fluctuation in eGFR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default For those with kidney involvement--question about fluctuation in eGFR

This week's bloodwork showed what I think is a big decrease in eGFR. I just got the bloodwork results now (I get them online) so have not spoken to my doctor.
    My eGFR had been as high as 57, then last test two weeks ago was 54, now is 50. Creatinine is also going up, was 1.18 and is now 1.32.
    I'm new to the whole kidney function world, so my understanding is limited, although growing.
    I suspect fluctuations are normal, but I'm curious about how much fluctuation is normal and what is troubling.

I'll call my doctor either way, but I'd love to know what people's experiences have been.
    I'm currently on 100mg cyclophosphamide and 7.5 mg prednisone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have kidney involvement (first round of rituximab in 2013 cut that off at the pass), but my labs are considered normal if creatinine is between .70 and 1.40 mg/dL. I've been coming in just under 1.50 for several months, but I'm stable otherwise, so my doctor doesn't seem concerned.

My eGFR fluctuates in the low 50s (mL/min/1.73 sq m) and has since we started looking at it. Normal is supposed to be >60 (for non-African-Americans).

Despite the occasional abberation in the numbers, I continue to feel fine.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had serious kidney involvement and significant residual damage. My GFR numbers fluctuate from 40's to 60. A big variable is amount of liquids I drank shortly before the lab work. I can get close to normal reading if I am well saturated like on a saline IV or some times from drinking a couple quarts of water shortly before the lab work. My numbers have been in this stable range for past four years. My last numbers which are also probably the best I can usually get are GFR of 54 and CREA of 1.3. My CREA usually runs from 1.3 to 1.7.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

??? I know labs #'s vary but where I get mine done at the hosp. the range for creatinine is 0.5 - 1.0 ,mine was 0.8 and for GFR it is >60 and says anything below is a sign for chronic kidney disease ... can labs vary that much. My Lipase was high at 72 which the range for that is 13-60. I haven't googled to see what that is for.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spoke with the doctor. He's not worried as this is the first time the results have come back not as well as hoped. In general, since April when my kidneys were damaged and after starting treatment, every lab test has come back better. This is the first one that is not better. My doctor (who is a nephrologist) told me that trends matter more than individual results, so this could be a one time blip. Bigger picture matters. He's not worried for the moment but suggested I get another test next week (instead of in 2 weeks) to ease my mind and make sure.

The numbers are highly variable, he explained. The creatinine level is easily affected by what you eat, exercise, how much you drink, etc. If the creatine changes the gfr changes. I guess that's why it's probably best to do labs at the same time so that some of the variables would be less noticeable. Sometimes I get my blood done in the morning, sometimes in the afternoon. I guess I'll try to do them at the same time each time to help with consistency.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HELLO
    I HAVE kidney malfunction and I must to get dialysis for 9 month and the createninè went down from 9 to 2.5 and from them I am not in dialysis and the creatinine is stable without any treatment from 2007
    I read that kidney can recuperate
    I hope that this information is valid

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get my labs done in the morning every time I go since I have to fast
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was diagnosed in 1996 with a chronic kidney disease called IgA Nephropathy at the age of 23. At the time, my kidney function was 70% (your eGFR is "relatively" looked at as your kidney function, although they wouldn't be technically the exact same number, but close). Over the years, my function has dropped to around 40% for the most part, but I have had swings from 25% function to 50%. Your eGFR really depends on your serum creatinine level and BUN. My creatinine is between 1.2, mostly around 1.5, and has gone up to 2.8 (hence, when my function dropped to 25%). I have had 19 years of eGFR swings now, and nothing has been so terrible that I've had to do any acute dialysis or talk about getting the dialysis started permanently. I have noticed that, being on chemo for treatment of WG for the past 3 months, that my creatinine and my eGFR have been all over the place every month.
    Teri from Texas
    Diagnosed w/WG March 2015
    "Lord my God, I called to you for help, and you healed me." - Psalm 30:2

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everybody! I am getting egfr tested again tomorrow morning. Just had other blood work taken, too. Anca and pr3 are up (had been 1:20 and 6.6, now 1:160 and 16.5, one month between tests). Crp and sed rate were normal. Hoping that the kidney function will return to where it was before!