Thread: Home after Biopsy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Home after Biopsy

Thank goodness that's over.

Had the CT guided biopsy of my lung nodules yesterday. A lot more pain than I'd anticipated. Don't want to go through that again! Had a small amount of air in lung which I think think caused the discomfort. All okay now though. I think they took around 6 biopsies which seems strange. Maybe they couldn't get a good enough sample although nurse said the samples would be sent to different places. Will hear from them Friday with an appointment for next week to discuss results at last.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylasnan View Post
    Thank goodness that's over.

Had the CT guided biopsy of my lung nodules yesterday. A lot more pain than I'd anticipated. Don't want to go through that again! Had a small amount of air in lung which I think think caused the discomfort. All okay now though. I think they took around 6 biopsies which seems strange. Maybe they couldn't get a good enough sample although nurse said the samples would be sent to different places. Will hear from them Friday with an appointment for next week to discuss results at last.
    You were awake? They put me out like a lite. Maybe they were tired of my lame jokes. Multiple tissue samples is to make certain they get enough (and from different places) to identify the cause of the nodules. Granuloma may not be evident in all of the samples. Sending to different places is a good thing. Labs specialize so they're likely sending to different labs for specific tests.

So.... are ya doing any better?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes thank you Happy to be home and left in peace. Have been looking forward to your reply xx

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylasnan View Post
    Have been looking forward to your reply xx
    Happy to have a positive impact on someone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad you are thru with that step. I agree those needle biopsies are very pain and one that you don't want to have again. I wish you all the best. Take care of yourself.
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad you're home. I had a kidney biopsy and liver biopsy last year. For me, the tests have been worse than the disease! Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I might be the exception but I found my kidney biopsy easy and slept through most of it. My nephrologist at the time commented that was rather unusual. I also found the lung probe fascinating as they let me watch on the TV screen as they explored my lungs. I think it is interesting to see what you look like on the inside.

From my experience biopsies are nothing to fear. My level of discomfort was about the same as routine dental work and much less than when they inserted the second PIC line for blood withdrawals and IV's.

A Biopsy is still the gold standard for diagnosis of Wegs and many other things. Success tends to be highest in kidney biopsies since Wegs usually is present in the whole kidney, next highest success is in lungs if they hit an area where there is active Wegs, and lowest in nasal area since it seems harder to find an active area. Other biopsy areas can be successful too if it appears Wegs is clearly active somewhere else in your body.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    Other biopsy areas can be successful too if it appears Wegs is clearly active somewhere else in your body.
    They got granuloma in tissue from my gums, and in lung nodules a week later. What I was told is that this particular tissue abnormality can only be caused by one of two conditions. Combined with c-ANCA the diagnosis is 100%. Several doctors didn't like that it was such a classic case, they kept doubting the diagnosis and looking for other causes claiming Wegeners is never so easy to spot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    Other biopsy areas can be successful too if it appears Wegs is clearly active somewhere else in your body.
    For some reason, the biopsy they chose to do on me was a sural nerve biopsy on my right ankle. I think they suspected vasculitic neuropathy, and maybe that was the easiest biopsy to handle? I have had 2 biopsies previously many years ago for another kidney disease, so I can see why they didn't biopsy there. I did have lung involvement with ground-glass nodules & scarring, but maybe they could tell it wasn't enough to biopsy? Who knows - I know the sural nerve biopsy double-confirmed the WG diagnosis, the first being the C-Anca & very high Anti-PR3.
    Teri from Texas
    Diagnosed w/WG March 2015
    "Lord my God, I called to you for help, and you healed me." - Psalm 30:2

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by txrepub4God View Post
    For some reason, the biopsy they chose to do on me was a sural nerve biopsy on my right ankle.
    First it's BookNut and now you have me looking stuff up. Been a hard night.

"sural nerve" eh?

What an odd thing to biopsy and find granuloma. But then again WG can cause granuloma anywhere but hair, finger nails or toe nails, maybe not in teeth either. I think the rust on my back bumper is prednisone induced.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast