Likes Likes:  0

Thread: On the bright side ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default On the bright side ...

I just returned from a camping and hiking trip with my son to the Colorado Rockies. It was my first such adventure since getting into remission last December, so I was a bit apprehensive. It all turned out wonderfully well! We even did a 10 mile hike, climbing 3000 feet to 12,500 ft above sea level. That left me exhausted and my legs were stiff the next day, but that didn't compare with the joy of completing the hike and enjoying the views and the solitude. On the climb up the mountain I thought about the last two years, where I am today compared with then, all the doctors and family and friends who I'm grateful for - and yes, I count all on this forum as friends. I recalled as many of your names (or handles) and sagas as possible. That kept me going (slowly but steadily) up the mountain just as it has kept my spirits up the last two years. Thank you all!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Max, Congratulations! That is so wonderful, how far you have come in just two years!!!
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is awesome! Good for you Max! Have a wonderful day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good for you Max, anything is possible if you put your mind to it. And you got to spend quality time with your son. Ready for Mt Everest now !!!
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Max, I'm late seeing this, but it's really great hearing about this hike! I haven't made time in my life to try anything like that, and know I'd have to start with some shorter ones with much less rise in elevation! But just thinking about how it would have felt for you is refreshing and uplifting. And I'm touched to know that you thought of your friends here on the forum while up there. Congrats, and I hope you get to do it again, or something equally exhilarating!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another small personal milestone this summer - hiked up Wheeler Peak in New Mexico last week with my son. It was exhausting of course, but compared to last year, I wasn't as stiff or tired the next day. Again, thanks and gratitude to doctors, scientists and fellow GPA travelers for all the medicine, fellowship, advice and good vibes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MaxD View Post
    Another small personal milestone this summer - hiked up Wheeler Peak in New Mexico last week with my son. It was exhausting of course, but compared to last year, I wasn't as stiff or tired the next day. Again, thanks and gratitude to doctors, scientists and fellow GPA travelers for all the medicine, fellowship, advice and good vibes.
    Max - just read this full thread/post - beautiful message from your adventure with your son last year - and this year. Made me happy to read it and brought me a smile. I'm a GPA newbie but ever so grateful for modern medicine and my new friends in this forum!

I'd raise a glass to all of us, all the dr's and researchers, and GPA patients before us (except I can't drink on pred! )
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
    in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.
    Proverbs 3: 5-6