Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prendisone side effects / Rituxen

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4-6 weeks is an average for rtx. Everyone responds just a bit differently. Best to you.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems a little long my Dr says 6-8 wks also. 2 infusions 1 in July 1 in Aug. hope to see some results soon. Pred. taper is now at 15mg Hope your daughter is seeing/feeling some benefit soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Pete.

Thank you for the info. I'm on 15mg pred now doc says in about 3 wks we can taper to 10mg I have lung and kidney involvement so now on the lower dose I notice my breathing is not as good. Had lung CT yesterday and seeing pulm doc next mo. Hope the rituxen starts working its magic soon. Just had my last infusion 2 wks ago. Doc says about 6-8 wks.

Take care,
    Patty

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pred. the necessary evil can't wait to be off of it. (hopefully) I am waiting for RTX to work it's magic which I hope will be soon. Thank you for the info. Everyone here is very helpful.

Take care,
    PattyL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PattyL View Post
    Seems a little long my Dr says 6-8 wks also. 2 infusions 1 in July 1 in Aug. hope to see some results soon. Pred. taper is now at 15mg Hope your daughter is seeing/feeling some benefit soon.
    That is usual consensus but some benefits might appear sooner.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PattyL View Post
    Pred. the necessary evil can't wait to be off of it. (hopefully) I am waiting for RTX to work it's magic which I hope will be soon. Thank you for the info. Everyone here is very helpful.

Take care,
    PattyL
    Patty,

If it helps your outlook any, I've been on 5mg for over 2 years. It didn't take long to stabilize once I got there and I have virtually no side effects. Would be nice to end this completely but not much hope of that. Any lower and I started to flare with mild WG symptoms within a two weeks. Dang, now I'm thinking... last time I tried to go lower was a long time ago... Where's my pill cutter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a cut and paste of some ideas I've jotted down along the way about prednisone. The thing I learned the hard way is that it can cause irreversible damage. Using counteractive meds during steroid treatment has been very helpful as is nutrition, restorative sleep, raising anabolism and reducing internal / external stressors. Pred helped me live and survive but man there's a lot more to it than I realized starting out.

10 POTENTIAL PROBLEMS WITH PREDNISONE?

1. Prevention of Full Remission?
    2. Disruption of Immunologic Memory Role During Chemo Tx.
    3. Imbalance of the HPA Axis Aggravating Immune Disorders / Causing Psychiatric Effects.
    4. Untreated Physical and Psychiatric Effects that Trigger Autoimmune Disorders.
    5. Subtherapeutic Doses that Treat minor Symptoms but Feed Underlying Disease.
    6. Subtherapeutic Doses contribute to Rituxan / Cytoxan Failure?
    7. Neuroendocrine System Ignored / Left Susceptible.
    8. Supratherapeutic Dose Side Effects are Serious and possibly be irreversible.
    9. Can Cause Long Term Cognitive Deficits.
    10. Can Cause Hippocampal Atrophy (Possibly Irreversible Brain Damage).

The Paradoxical Effect is the main problem. Prednisone can help but sometimes it hurts too and there’s a chance it ultimately prevents remission. Aside from the usualSystemic Glucocorticoid Side Effects there is a Paradoxical Effect That May Contribute to relapse or even Cause Wegeners Treatment Failure. Long term, subtherapeutic steroid use may actually help minor symptoms but prevent remission. Inhaled steroids are known to cause HPA Axis Suppression. Iatrogenic Cushing's Syndrome plays a role as does (Exogenous Adrenal Insufficiency). Supratherapeutic doses such as “Pulse Therapy” can save lives but have serious consequences. Psychiatric Complications may be Neuroendocrine related. Probably caused from HPA Axis Dysregulation wherein (GC) (MR) Imbalance can further aggravate the autoimmune disorders like Wegeners. Irreversible brain damage is documented as well as cognitive deficits. Neuropsychiatric effects of steroids is wide ranging and not well understood, but can trigger immune disorders. Any or all of these factors may play a role in achieving a full wegeners recovery and ought to be treated appropriately. (This paragraph is really just a list of some of the facets of this topic, with supportive links and is by no means comprehensive and far from scholarly.)

PSYCHIATRIC EFFECTS:
    “An imbalance between central glucocorticoid (GR) and mineralocorticoid (MR) receptors is proposed to underlie the HPA axis dysregulation that associates with susceptibility to psychopathology (anxiety, PTSD).” http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...06453012002983

STEROIDS MAY PREVENT REMISSION - THE CATCH 22 THEORY:
    Although their use may be unavoidable at present, there are some indicators that steroids might be preventing actual remission. Glucocorticoid treatment for wegeners has a proven paradoxical effect. Untreated steroid symptoms (like simple anxiety) actually have counterproductive / effects on the immune disorder as well as possibly irreversible brain damaging effects (NIH).

IMMUNOLOGIC MEMORY:
    Rituxan is supposed to work by killing b cells and then the body naturally replaces them with healthy b cells (non self attacking). In a glucocorticoid imbalanced system this doesn’t work so well. If b cells are killed and the new b cells are recreated into a hostile environment, an agitated system, then the whole mission is compromised. Prednisone can easily cause a glucocorticoid / mineralocorticoid imbalance. The HPA Axis Endocrine system gets triggered, aggravating the immune system. Meanwhile the body is reproducing b cells into a disordered, hostile autoimmune environment. At this point the HPA Axis endocrine system is highly involved in “immunologic memory. So this hostile endocrine system misfires and fails to tell new b cells to stop attacking “self” cells. This very system in disarray by glucocorticoid imbalance, is now responsible to tell the immune system to stop attacking “self” cells. If it fails. Remission is not achieved.
    Best wishes,
    Tom
    ----------------------------------
    2 years untreated. Dx w/ biopsy - 2000
    Tx Plan:

NUTRITION
    RESTORATIVE SLEEP
    RAISE ANABOLISM
    REDUCE ALL INT / EXT STRESSORS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a lot of research well boiled into a short summary. I know I'm in trouble when I have to look up more than a 1/4 of the words just to get the basics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Hi Patty,

When you taper off pred, do it very slowly. Otherwise, you may experience more severe withdrawal symptoms.

When I got down to 15 mg, my taper was -2.5 mg/month down to 10 mg. From there, it was -1 mg/month down to where I noticed disease symptoms returning (3 mg in my case). I went back up to 5 mg and called my rheumy. She put me on four weekly rtx infusions and took me off mtx. I finish this round of rtx on Thursday. I'll stay on 5 mg/day of pred until I see my rheumy again in early November.

Other than some sleeplessness caused by solumedrol (steroid given with rtx), slight fatigue the day following each infusion, and an episode of heartburn (calmed with peptobismol), I feel great.
    Your description is helpful, but I'm curious as to how you know whether it was the disease symptoms coming back or merely a withdrawal from the prednisone? I'm tapering prednisone now and each week gets worse. For example, I had pain and swelling before I started meds and now it's coming back worse each week, it seems. My tapering is coming down by 5mg every 2 weeks. I'm currently at 10mg. I'm seeing my rheumy next week so I hope to find out more.

I'm also having terrible brain fog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skempins View Post
    Your description is helpful, but I'm curious as to how you know whether it was the disease symptoms coming back or merely a withdrawal from the prednisone? I'm tapering prednisone now and each week gets worse. For example, I had pain and swelling before I started meds and now it's coming back worse each week, it seems. My tapering is coming down by 5mg every 2 weeks. I'm currently at 10mg. I'm seeing my rheumy next week so I hope to find out more.

I'm also having terrible brain fog.
    Talk to the doctor about everything, but go slow... prednisone is not such a big risk at 10 mg so you can afford to go slow. Wait longer between reductions and make the reductions smaller. One or two mg a month is better when at lower dose, and wait until you stabilize before reducing again. Also, don't be afraid to return to the previous dose if the lower dose causes major side effects in a day or two.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast