I live fairly close (just a few hours away) from Cleveland and have been considering making an appointment. I am curious, though--what do you get there that you can't get from a local doc who is knowledgeable?

I am currently nearing remission (diagnosed late april 2015), if not already there. My creatinine and GFR are almost normal. Recent SED rate and CRP tests are normal. ANCA is between 1 and 20 now (was 512 in May). I am working with the nephrologist who saw me while I was in the hospital. I was working with a rheumatologist but we disagreed about treatment and I found him to be difficult to work with.

My nephrologist is up to date on latest treatments. He has experience with Wegeners and is working with other people who have it. He, and his office, are responsive. He shares articles with me that he thinks I will find helpful. He explains bloodwork. He is allowing me to make choices (within reason) regarding my treatment. I feel that he has a good handle on the disease. He also said that there are others in his office with experience should we encounter something challenging.

I don't want to jinx anything, but I feel pretty good right now. I feel so much better than I have for many months.

Is Cleveland still something I should consider? I don't feel like I need to go, but everyone here has such positive things to say about it that I doubt my decision.