Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: knee replaced

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default knee replaced

I haven't been around for a while and for a pretty good reason -- I was preparing to have my knee totally replaced. There was so much to do to prepare for it because we were basically preparing for leaving in the RV for the winter and doing it in July. A lot was done in that time, to include putting a cabin in the woods on some property we have in central Idaho and getting my MG running and then buttoned up for winter after a great test drive (first drive). The restoration isn't complete, but is coming along nicely.

Anyway, the knee replacement was 5 days ago. I was a little nervous and wondering if it should be done, but there was no more cartilage left and I was feeling better than I had in 5 years so I figured I should "patch the roof while the sun was shining". The entire procedure went well, but there were still wegs-related issues.

I went off mtx about 2 weeks prior to the surgery. Given my mtx schedule and the surgery schedule, I actually went off the mtx about 2.5 weeks early. My rheumy has asked that I stay off the mtx as a test. However, I am still on 7.5mg pred. Actually, on 50mg/day at the moment, but that story is below.

As most of you know, my wegs attacked my pituitary gland and I lost it. That's a pretty vital gland and causes all sorts of additional issues, one of which, is the possibility of an adrenal crisis during times of physical trauma such as having your knee joint sawed out, then drilled and screwed.

The surgeon accounted for the trauma and possible crisis and pretty well loaded me up with additional cortisone, but, nevertheless, I went into adrenal crisis about 8 hours after the surgery.

I'm not sure if the US pain scale is a worldwide thing or not, but we have a pain scale from 1 to 10 where 10 is "the worst you can imagine". I always describe to the nurse that 10, to me, is PW torture excruciating, so that sets the subjective scale at a pretty high threshold. My adrenal crisis pain level was at an 8.5, while I gave the knee surgery itself between 2 and 4. The pain was isolated to my kidneys as they were in shutdown mode. The crisis was pretty painful and lasted several hours until a ward doc could issue more drugs. By the time the ward doc arrived, the nurse had max'ed out her quota of morphine. The doc gave me hydromorphone, but I don't know what amounts. Neither the morphine or hydromorphone relieved the pain. Once the doc determined I was in crisis and gave me a megadose of injectable cortisone, it was all over. The crisis subsides as fast as it comes on, maybe 20 minutes to full recovery. And that was the experience I had with a previous adrenal crisis, too.

This was my second adrenal crisis. The first (post #8) was only a few months ago. You would think I'd learn, but you aren't always in the proper state of mind to put the dots together. But, I think I have the idea now and I just repurchased all my now-expired solucortef for these little emergencies.

Otherwise, the knee surgery was no problem at all. I rate the pain just a little higher than my normal day-to-day issues with wegener's and the pain it causes. Its a different pain (sharper), but no more worse. I left the hospital with a walker, but went on to using just a cane several hours later. I'm now in day 6 after the surgery and I'm walking easily without a limp. I still use the cane, but only to catch myself if I start to trip and fall (which would be seriously bad at this stage).

That's about it for now. I allowed 2 months for recovery, but I think 2 weeks will be closer to the mark and total healing a month from now. Otherwise, all is good and I might have some time to look at the forum more often for a while. Hi to all my friends!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A new knee, gee vdub you will be chasing your better half around in no time, all the best for a speedy recovery.

Regards Woz.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow vdub. You have being through so much... sounds scary and painful... what can I say ? You and others around here, and of course my angelic Batman, amazed me with your strength, courage and endurance. If it was me I dont think I would survived things like that.
    Get enough rest, take care and please update us how are you doing.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vdub - our new bionic man???

Hope your recovery is fast and complete!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats on that new knee. My wife is six months post op and still having a few minor issues but it's a vast improvement. Sounds like you are getting a good result right out of the chute. The adrenal crises you have had sound terrifying. So... is it the plan for you to stay off MTX indefinitely?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have been a busy man....a cabin, getting the mg going..and then the knee. That adrenal crisis does sound horrible and scary,so glad the dr. knew what to do to get you stabilized., now next time ( hopefully there won't be ) you can tell them. Do you plan on spending the winter in Idaho ? Good luck for a speedy recovery and hopefully staying a mtx. Take care.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats on the new knee. Hope things go smoothly from now on.
    Karen; dx'ed April 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So... is it the plan for you to stay off MTX indefinitely?
    That's the plan, Tom. I hope it works out. I'd like to get off some of the other drugs, too. It would be nice to get off the pred, but I don't know if that will happen. The knee surgeon said my knee showed signs of damage from the steroids. The majority damage, of course, was due to jogging for many years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vdub, you are a man of many secrets, a cabin, getting the mg into a drivable condition and a new knee.

I'm glad everything went well - and fingers crossed for you to stay off MTX for good

Now, take care of yourself
    Last edited by mishb; 08-11-2015 at 09:36 PM.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck on the new knee as well as staying off the MTX.
    ~ Bob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast