Thread: please share your hospital experience - sterility

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default please share your hospital experience - sterility

Hi.

for those who wonder why I ask, please read here, on page 64 post 640 http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.c...tinued-64.html

I will be more then grateful for every comment and sharing. if you write please say a word about the quality of that hospital.
    1. when you are being admitted to hospital, do you get a sterile room/ isolation room, because of being immunocompromised as a result of the medications we are on ?
    2. are there any special precautions that the staff keep while treating you, like masks, others ?
    3. do the staff always use gloves or have to use them ?

Thanks anyway.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Alysia,
    1. I am not guaranteed my own room. When my Wegener's was at it's worse and I was on ctx (until they realised that I couldn't tolerate it) I had my own room.
    2. I wouldn't say that there is any special precautions and definitely no masks have been worn no matter how bad my flares have been.
    3. Gloves do get worn, but not always. Gloves are more for nurse, rather than patient protection in my opinion. Gloves can get dirty just as easy as hands. This means that you would need to put on a new pair of gloves after everything you touch to prevert contamination. I suspect gloveless nurses wash their hands more frequently than gloved nurses change their gloves.

Not sure if those answers were any use to you.
    Diagnosed April 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the input gilders. You are so kind.
    its intersting observation about the gloves. I didnt think about it.
    I still need to think about this issue more. It seems that everywhere they are not keeping enough sterility as they should. Too bad.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was admitted at Ohio State's Wexner Medical Center, I was placed in a pressurized isolation room in infectious diseases. I had a private room. For the first four days, I never saw a full face (except for my wife). They always wore masks, used disposable gowns, and gloves. Once they determined I was not infected, they relaxed the protocol a bit - no masks, gowns, or gloves. Before anyone touched me, they always used hand sanitizer (dispensers in every room and in hallways and at nursing stations). I was diagnosed on day five. No downgrade to protocol as they now knew that I was susceptible to infections more than they were. I believe I got care at a very high standard.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    When I was admitted at Ohio State's Wexner Medical Center, I was placed in a pressurized isolation room in infectious diseases. I had a private room. For the first four days, I never saw a full face (except for my wife). They always wore masks, used disposable gowns, and gloves. Once they determined I was not infected, they relaxed the protocol a bit - no masks, gowns, or gloves. Before anyone touched me, they always used hand sanitizer (dispensers in every room and in hallways and at nursing stations). I was diagnosed on day five. No downgrade to protocol as they now knew that I was susceptible to infections more than they were. I believe I got care at a very high standard.
    Thank you for sharing Pete. Sounds the best. This is how they should treat immunocompromised patients. BUT I suspect that they were mostly afraid to get infected by you ? And not to keep you safe ? Was that the case ?
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're probably correct. Initially, they thought I might have had TB. After a couple days on IV antibiotics, they figured it wasn't that and the process of elimination to get to a WG dx began.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Alysia, Regarding my last two hospital stays.
    1. I am not guaranteed my own room but I had my own room. I think the hospital has gone to only single rooms but I'm not sure of that. I always inform them right away that I have WG regardless of why I'm there. I usually is related to why I'm there.
    2. I wouldn't say that there was any special precautions to keep me from infections and definitely no masks have been worn. On the last two visits I had a lot of procedures/tests done and no one ever wore a mask.
    3. Gloves were worn when they drew blood but not for other things like blood pressure and temp and medications.
    Karen; dx'ed April 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Pete, gilders and Karen for your input.
    so it seems that they dont care much about us being immunocompromised ?
    Btw in Israel if I go to the labs and there are a lot of sick patients they let me in first by a different door. And nurses always use gloves and change them often. Maybe because it is so rare in Israel that they are more cautious.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another question. Do you think that they should be careful about us in hospital, or is it just a fearful wish ? How many of us got infections as a result of uncaring hospital ? Phil for sure. But others ?
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was first hospitalized they didn't know what was wrong with me. I had more tests done than I cared for. I had lung biopsy, scrapings taken from my inner ears and then a mastoidectomy. They were very thorough and sterile when coming into my room. Because one of the ear biopsies showed trace mrsa that changed the whole routine. They gowned up with masks and rubber gloves. If I left the room I had to gown up, rubber gloves and mask. They made it pretty clear that they'd prefer I not even leave my room. Hubby had to gown up as well. Food came in disposable containers and was disposed of in my room trash can. Anything brought into the room stayed until I left and I suppose was destroyed when I left. I was treated very well til the trace mrsa. Then felt like a pariah.

As an after thought, being as it was only trace mrsa, it could have come from the hospital, staff or how the sample was handled. I'll really never know, but I had no infections from any of the procedures.
    Last edited by Jaypfei; 07-18-2015 at 08:43 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast