Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: please share your hospital experience - sterility

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaypfei View Post
    When I was first hospitalized they didn't know what was wrong with me. I had more tests done than I cared for. I had lung biopsy, scrapings taken from my inner ears and then a mastoidectomy. They were very thorough and sterile when coming into my room. Because one of the ear biopsies showed trace mrsa that changed the whole routine. They gowned up with masks and rubber gloves. If I left the room I had to gown up, rubber gloves and mask. They made it pretty clear that they'd prefer I not even leave my room. Hubby had to gown up as well. Food came in disposable containers and was disposed of in my room trash can. Anything brought into the room stayed until I left and I suppose was destroyed when I left. I was treated very well til the trace mrsa. Then felt like a pariah.

As an after thought, being as it was only trace mrsa, it could have come from the hospital, staff or how the sample was handled. I'll really never know, but I had no infections from any of the procedures.
    Thanks for sharing. I appreciate it so much.
    it seems to me like in Pete's case that they were protecting themselves from you ?
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was admitted for 5 days when I was first diagnosed, mainly so that they could do xrays of my joints, lung tests, kidney tests etc

For the first 3 days I had a room to myself, even though it was a 6 bed ward.
    On the 3rd day they brought someone else in and the ward nurse went beserk and told them to take that person to another room,because I couldn't have germs around me.
    On the 4th day, after all of the tests were done, they eased off a bit and they put an elderly lady in the room with me, but over the far side, away from me.
    On the 5th day, all beds were occupied and I guess they didn't really worry about it, because I was going home.

The hospital protocol is to use hand sanitizer, which is in the doorway of every room, and the only time they really wore gloves was when they were doing bloods etc
    If it was just to do my blood pressure, they just used the hand sanitizer.

I know that they weren't afraid of catching anything from me, because I had nurses come in to see me during their coffee break, to chat and also have a bit of a rest from the rest of the wards/patients.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mishb View Post
    I was admitted for 5 days when I was first diagnosed, mainly so that they could do xrays of my joints, lung tests, kidney tests etc

For the first 3 days I had a room to myself, even though it was a 6 bed ward.
    On the 3rd day they brought someone else in and the ward nurse went beserk and told them to take that person to another room,because I couldn't have germs around me.
    On the 4th day, after all of the tests were done, they eased off a bit and they put an elderly lady in the room with me, but over the far side, away from me.
    On the 5th day, all beds were occupied and I guess they didn't really worry about it, because I was going home.

The hospital protocol is to use hand sanitizer, which is in the doorway of every room, and the only time they really wore gloves was when they were doing bloods etc
    If it was just to do my blood pressure, they just used the hand sanitizer.

I know that they weren't afraid of catching anything from me, because I had nurses come in to see me during their coffee break, to chat and also have a bit of a rest from the rest of the wards/patients.

Thank you so much for sharing Michelle. No wonder that your nurses enjoyed you.... we all do ♡♡♡
    Phil's nurses were also in love with him.. ♡♡♡
    Your health system sounds much more decent and caring and responsible then any others around the globe. They need to learn from you.
    hand sanitizier sounds like the best option. Better then gloves. There was some bottles of it in the hospital but I dont remember them using it. Phil asked for a bottle to himself and used it. But the stuff did not.
    Btw, no such thing in Israel in the hospital. They have other kind of soap to use, old, red, with ugly smell and which make the skin irritated. Maybe this is why they use the gloves.

I should have taken my sweetie to Australia.... they would have treat him so much better and you would have come to visit us, Michelle...
    Last edited by Alysia; 07-20-2015 at 11:09 PM.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I will be more then grateful for every comment and sharing. if you write please say a word about the quality of that hospital.
    1. when you are being admitted to hospital, do you get a sterile room/ isolation room, because of being immunocompromised as a result of the medications we are on ?
    2. are there any special precautions that the staff keep while treating you, like masks, others ?
    3. do the staff always use gloves or have to use them ?"

This has to do with Children's Hospitals, but I will off my opinions anyway :-)

The first time DD was admitted, prior to dx, she was put in a bone marrow transplant room, as they had no available isolation rooms elsewhere. She was there I think 4 nites before being transferred to an infectitious disease room. Almost every room at that hospital is single patient. On the bmtf, you would bootie, mask, & scrub upon entering the wing, scrub right outside the room and scrub in the room. Then the patient was examined ( or hugged!) And hen you scrub again on your way out. (My hands were bleeding.) Id rooms you never bootie, but you do mask, and you don't scrub on entering the wing but you do scrub and mask in what we called our room's foyer, and then again scrub inside the room. Once they determined she did not have anything contagious we could skip the mask. She wasn't immune suppressed very much at that point.

the 2nd hospital, where she stayed last November, after dx, she was put in a regular room, and that hospital has doubles. It was made clear she would not be around anyone infectious. In fact late one night a homeless teenager was moved in but got moved out real soon, due to worries.

In both hospitals there are signs everywhere saying patients / parents need to see personnel cleaning before examining patients. In the 2nd hospital that meant hand sanitizer.

Because they are pediatric hospitals they try to avoid masks and gloves (and their scrubs are always super cute lol).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was admitted in 2012, I wasn't given any special precautions. I was newly diagnosed and there to have more testing, biopsies, etc.

All workers wore gloves, used hand sanitizer, but no masks, gowns, etc. Nut, at that point, I was newly diagnosed and not on any immune suppressant medication.

I was in my own room, but the new hospital does not have any multi patient rooms.

Overall, I don't think I could have had better care than I received at the Monroe Clinic Hospital in Monroe, WI.
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you so much Mike and wtw for the input. as a general assumption, it seems to me that it is a matter of the quality of the hospital. the better one, it will be more clean, more precautions, etc. it is just if one is lucky enough to be in the right hospital. I am glad for you and for Michelle that you did.
    there is something which is beyond, which I sense from the posts, it is something to do about how much the hospital works like a "factory" for its own sake (more patients in the room, more money, etc) or how much it respects the patients and put the patient in the center. this is def your hospital Michelle, and I guess also WTW (Thanks God that childern get more caring, compassion and respect).
    unfortunately this was not the case in Phil's hospital. they only care about themselves. full rooms to gain more money. less cxr's. not inviting wg expert, filthy floors, dirty lazy nurses.... I am starting again to be angry so I better stop here.
    and it is not a matter of how crowded or rich the hospital is. my hospital is very poor, small and crowded. still, when I come for my rtx, in order to protect me, they save a place for me near the open balcony with lots of fresh air, they changed gloves all the time, and most of all : THEY LISTEN.

still very angry so I must write the following:
    canadian weggies friends: if you can, STAY AWAY FROM FOOTHILLS MEDICAL CENTER IN CALGARY. ITS A DEATHTRAP.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alysia, I was very lucky to be newly diagnosed and the registrar knew all about WG.

Australian hospitals are just like any others I'm afraid. Yes they do use hand sanitizer, but they are so overcrowded that we constantly hear of people being sent home too early, just to make room, or, of people still on beds in hallways.
    People seem to be getting sicker and the local doctors cost money to go to, so everyone tends to go to the ER instead and this leads to overcrowding and long delays in the waiting rooms. They don't call them waiting rooms for nothing.

I tend to think that nurses are such wonderful people to do what they do (the vast majority of them).
    We also have some very crabby nurses that don't tend to give you the time of day
    Everyone is human and have bad days and good.

What I noticed in the letter that you received from the hospital, is that they are going to look at, and probably change, some of their procedures/protocols and this is something that you, and all of us, should be thankful for. This was your doing You were the voice that asked them to justify themselves and you have helped them see the need to change their systems.
    This part of the letter is a fantastic outcome and means (to me), that no-one else will go through what Phil had too
    The nursing/medical units that your letter was directed to, will certainly always remember that beautiful, and sometimes wild/crazy, lady from Israel, who fought for/stood up for, the man of her dreams.
    Bringing this to their attention is the best thing that could have happened, not for Phil unfortunately, but for many others to go there in the future, and for this, we all thank you

I hope there will be a lot of changes to come out of what Phil went through, but sadly, we will probably never know.
    It just shouldn't have happened in the first place.
    Being in the medical field yourself, I would love to see you harvest your anger and challenge all hospitals to make the correct changes - for patient care in regards to cleanliness/sterility.

Sorry for my waffling.....but I say again, THANK YOU
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mishb View Post
    Alysia, I was very lucky to be newly diagnosed and the registrar knew all about WG.

Australian hospitals are just like any others I'm afraid. Yes they do use hand sanitizer, but they are so overcrowded that we constantly hear of people being sent home too early, just to make room, or, of people still on beds in hallways.
    People seem to be getting sicker and the local doctors cost money to go to, so everyone tends to go to the ER instead and this leads to overcrowding and long delays in the waiting rooms. They don't call them waiting rooms for nothing.

I tend to think that nurses are such wonderful people to do what they do (the vast majority of them).
    We also have some very crabby nurses that don't tend to give you the time of day
    Everyone is human and have bad days and good.

What I noticed in the letter that you received from the hospital, is that they are going to look at, and probably change, some of their procedures/protocols and this is something that you, and all of us, should be thankful for. This was your doing You were the voice that asked them to justify themselves and you have helped them see the need to change their systems.
    This part of the letter is a fantastic outcome and means (to me), that no-one else will go through what Phil had too
    The nursing/medical units that your letter was directed to, will certainly always remember that beautiful, and sometimes wild/crazy, lady from Israel, who fought for/stood up for, the man of her dreams.
    Bringing this to their attention is the best thing that could have happened, not for Phil unfortunately, but for many others to go there in the future, and for this, we all thank you

I hope there will be a lot of changes to come out of what Phil went through, but sadly, we will probably never know.
    It just shouldn't have happened in the first place.
    Being in the medical field yourself, I would love to see you harvest your anger and challenge all hospitals to make the correct changes - for patient care in regards to cleanliness/sterility.

Sorry for my waffling.....but I say again, THANK YOU
    THANK YOU Michelle, for this beautiful touching post. You made me cry & laugh at once.
    where in the letter of the hospital did you find that they are going to change anything ??? Did I miss something ? I just understood that they are not taking any responsibility. And so did Phil's mother understand.
    There were all kind of nurses in that hospital. But if someone is doing such a mistake that kills a patient, he must take responsibility. It was not only nurses. Worse. The arrogant docs etc.
    I worked 11 years at mental hospital as clinical psychologist and quitted not only because of WG but also because I was tired of fighting in vain against the stuff to treat the patients with more respect.
    maybe my standarts are too high. But I never demand something that I dont do myself.

And yes, they will never forget me & my sweetie in Foothills medical center.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I should read the letter again
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About that issue you can get some information from the following link about patient safety this knowledge I have from my last job as safety coordinator in biologic lab
    Patient Safety | Links Medicus - Authoritative Free Medical Education Resources
    you can use this guide lines to what to demand from the hospital
    in one of my hospitalizations I noticed that then did not empty the needles that they used for blood test every day from the room I noticed that to the department director and they fix it
    if you know the rules you have to demand to work in a safety way

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast