Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insomnia?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Insomnia?

Just wondering if others are dealing with insomnia... I finally went to a neurologist about a year ago, in part to get help with insomnia and in part for help with pain---heels, leg, and back. I have not had much success with relief from the insomnia. It usually takes me a couple of hours to get to sleep. I've been on amitriptyline and gabapentin, which help some for pain, but not much with insomnia. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    ----Arleta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Arieta,

How much prednisone are you taking? Sleeplessness is a side effect at higher doses.

You may also want to consider taking 1-3 mg of melatonin about an hour before bedtime. You can buy it OTC at a drugstore.

Check with your doc about this symptom and about taking sleep aids.

Good luck!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The melatonin usually works pretty well for me, as Pete suggested. I was taking 1/4 of a 3mg. pill for awhile, then 1/2, now the whole 3mg. pill. At first I'd wake up feeling groggy, but that doesn't seem to be a problem anymore. I don't plan to go any higher than the 3mg. It seems pretty safe at that level, and is supposed to be something the body manufactures on its own. Maybe someone knows more than I do about it.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not taking any prednisone any more. I take Imuran and Cymbalta---for joint pain. I also take 3 MG of melatonin every night about 30 minutes before bedtime....

----Arleta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Arleta View Post
    I'm not taking any prednisone any more. I take Imuran and Cymbalta---for joint pain. I also take 3 MG of melatonin every night about 30 minutes before bedtime....

You do the melatonin just like I do. If there are things on my mind, or whatever, it might not always work so well. I try not to watch much TV, or anything too sensational, right before bed. Sometimes I do crossword puzzles to get sleepy. I'm sure you've thought of all that. Maybe 30 years ago, I took amitriptyline, which you mentioned, for a few years, for trigeminal neuralgia, a type of nerve pain in the face. I found it to make me drowsy and think it helped me sleep. But everyone is different. Maybe you need something more heavy-duty. I wish you luck, as not sleeping is one of the worst things.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lack of sleep makes everything worse, for sure, lowering your tolerance for other symptoms. Hypnotics like Ambien do work for some, but I've read they should not be used on a long term basis. I have a prescription but use it sparingly. Also, there was a study recently suggesting that good sleep hygiene habits and some cognitive behavioral exercises were at least as effective as drugs. (The study was mentioned in the New York Times but I can't find a link at the moment.) I haven't tried melatonin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I try to be very careful about evening activities...restful and not stimulating, avoid screen time for the hour before bed time, no caffeine, no naps during the day, etc.....

----Arleta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also have insomnia and take Ambien. It does help but when you are in pain it tends to not work as good... They gave me xanax to use in some situations so I am not taking Ambien everyday. So I rotate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Early in my treatment when I was revved up with high amounts of steroids, I got some Ambien one night to try quiet me down so I could get some sleep. My family had requested I not get a stronger med like Seroquel which medical staff recommended. The Ambien caused the worst nightmares and delusions I have ever experienced and a total lack of sleep. After ward I got the Seroquel and it seemed to help me get some rest and reduced my anxiety too.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like/use Xanax for relaxation & sleep. Works well, can be addictive.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast