Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Checking in after Cleveland Clinic visit

I had some testing while at CC, a MRI of the head, 2 EMG's and some vascular studies. The second day was a bit to much for me, from 7:45am to 5pm with two EMG's in one day. If anyone ever tries to schedule you two EMG's in the same day, just say no, they hurt like he**. I passed the vascular testing and after I was finished with the electrocution tests the Neurologist came in to talk with me about the tests and MRI. I was so exhausted by that time, that I was not understanding what she had to say. I read the report when I got home and am a bit puzzled. I put a call into her and she will call me back. I wondered if anybody might know what some of this means, I tried to look it up and still don't understand it. It reads, several, scattered T2 & Flair hyperintensities in the periventricular & subcortical white extends toward the corpus callous. Demyelination Disease vs. chronic microvascular ischemic changes are the main differential considerations. If anyone has had anything like this I would like to know what treatment you have had or what you might have went thru to get it under control. Thank you for any info on these dx's.
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Jana,sorry you had a rough time at CC. I can't help you on the what the report means.Why can't they write it so the average person can understand it. I don't even know what a EMG is ?? And what a long day That pisses me off also when I go to the dr and end up leaving wishing I would have asked or said something else. When she calls you back let us know what is going on ! Hope you start feeling better
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What were they looking for with all of these tests?

All those tests should give you a pretty good pix of what Wegs has done to your body.

Are you having some unusual neurological symptoms?
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am having some, pain, burning, weakness, and clumsiness in limbs, hands and feet. I am also having headaches, not migraine like. She also on exam noticed eyelid drupping on Rt side. That is why she ordered the testing. Deb, the EMG's are tests that measure reflexes and nerve responses. They first shock you in different places in arms,hands, fingers, legs, feet, toes and neck. They then put needles in the areas of the nerves in those places and send electrical shocks to stimulate the nerve reaction to ck for damage. It really isn't a pleasant test.
    Jana

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaha View Post
    I am having some, pain, burning, weakness, and clumsiness in limbs, hands and feet. I am also having headaches, not migraine like. She also on exam noticed eyelid drupping on Rt side. That is why she ordered the testing. Deb, the EMG's are tests that measure reflexes and nerve responses. They first shock you in different places in arms,hands, fingers, legs, feet, toes and neck. They then put needles in the areas of the nerves in those places and send electrical shocks to stimulate the nerve reaction to ck for damage. It really isn't a pleasant test.
    I had this done twice to check for degree of nerve loss in my feet or severity of my neuropathy. The last tests they did each time were very painful and the doctor said that is why we do them last cause if we did them first no one would ever finish the tests. The procedure is sort of like acupuncture only it is painful like the torture where they insert bamboo slivers under your skin. They turn up the current to test the connections and effectiveness of various nerves and get a reading when the nerves spasm which tells you how good that nerve conducts electricity. The one good side effect is that it often tends to decrease neuropathy temporarily. I learned my motor nerves were more impaired than my sensory nerves which is why I was stumbling a lot until I learned to walk like a penguin or like you do with swim fins on.

EMG are very useful tests but like many medical procedures not much fun and rather unpleasant but being a Weggie usually means we have a high tolerance to such unpleasantness so we tend to be "good patients".
    Last edited by drz; 06-13-2015 at 12:21 AM.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds like a test I would try to avoid. I'm sorry you had to go through this, Jana and drz.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to my 2nd EMG test in the last 6 mos my Neuro wants to see any changes ( for the better or worse) and to see if they can pinpoint the soul of my knee and foot pain bi- laterally and not due to neuropathy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All the best to you Tr1957, hopefully it won't be as intense this time. I heard back from the Neurologist, about what kind of biopsy she would take and it would be of the skin. She said that she would be looking for small fiber neuropathy in my feet. The office called me on Friday to setup some cervical spine x-rays before I have my RTX infusion on the 29th. I ask if I would then have an apt with the Neurologist that day and they said we would set that up later. I guess I will just be patient and wait to see what all of it adds up to.
    Jana

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry you are having to play the wait and see game,Jana. Good luck with the x-rays
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am going to be at CC tomorrow 6/29 for a RTX infusion. Is there anyone else going to be at the clinic on Monday 6/29 for appts or infusions? If so I'll there from 8-4, send me a pm, it would be nice to meet up.
    Jana

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast