Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Rituximab

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm home ....... for 2 days
    Got the phone call Monday which asked me to come down to Addenbroke's (Cambridge hospital) for observations and to prepare for kidney biopsy on Tuesday. I was then due to return home Wednesday.
    Well I actually made it home just after midnight Friday night/Saturday morning, but only for the weekend. I didn't even get the biopsy as it was too risky, but did get news that I almost certainly have another condition/illness to add to my list (possibly Glanzmann Thrombasthenia).20150805_121546.jpg The bruise that you can see on my arm is from one pin-prick vaccine. It has travelled a far down as my wrist.
    Obviously which such bruising from a single shot, biopsies are out of the question. It seems that although I have enough platelets, they don't work. My creatinine jumped to 345 and it was deiscussed about the benefits of plasmatherisis, but they can't create an access point due to bleeding risk. Aswell as kidney biopsy, another bone and boe marrow biopsy is needed, yet it's too risky to do anything more invasive than blood tests.
    Usually it's not too tricky to counteract blood that either clots too easily or takes to long to clot (there's drugs that can be used). But I'm a very tricky case. Platelets are the first line of defence for cuts and injuries - they plug up the gap (cut) by sticking together (mine won't stick). Then other parts of your blood finish the job off, becoming "sticky" near the newly platelet-plugged cut. The other part of my blood is "sticky" - too sticky. Therefore I'm at great risk of bleeding to death, but also getting blood clots (I've already had at least 3 DVTs). Therefore the drs haven't worked out how to combat the DVT/blood clot risks without causing major bleeding issues.
    I'm off all anti-coagulation in hospital and I'm plugged up to a machine that massages blood from my calfs 20150805_185850.jpg For this weekend while I'm allowed home I've been put on a very low dose of Fragmin and regular compression stockings.

They did manage to do an ultrasound on kidneys. The image of the kidneys was very bright white which the radiologist explained that that occurs when kidneys are not working at all well. He also said he had found a cyst in the kidney. The dr later told me there were a few cysts with that were all normal (I guess she meant not dangerous) except for one which needs to be followed up on.

I think on my last post I'd said "I'm really not in too bad of a place" unfortunately I can't say that now. I'm having periods where I'm not feeling too bad, but then I'll only make it as far as the toilet and I'm about to pass out. I have not been this weak since I went through the initial period before I was diagnosed 20 years ago.
    We (me and the drs) still don't know if my Wegener's is causing this severe weakness or the problem with platelets.

The current plan is simple - sort out the platelet problem as it's almost impossible to diagnose/investigate/treat any other problems when my blood won't clot. The pic of my left arm is my worse bruise (you can only see about half of it), but most of my body is now severely bruised except for face, knees and feet.

As this post is in my thread titled "Rituximab" I just want to explain that this new platelet issue isn't something that I'm warning people about as a potential side effect of Rituximab. I've had problems with severe bruising ever since diagnosed with Wegener's 20 years ago. Could Rituximab have made this platelet condition, which I guess I must have had for many years, worse? I really don't know, maybe the drs might figure that out next week.
    Diagnosed April 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yikes!! That's a really scary problem. I hope they get it sorted out soon!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Pete.
    Glad to hear your latest infusions have begun and I presume you're doing well with it.
    Diagnosed April 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gilders View Post
    Thanks Pete.
    Glad to hear your latest infusions have begun and I presume you're doing well with it.
    One down, three to go. So far, so good except for two restless nights thanks to the extra steroids...
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear about your problems. Sounds like a most unfortunate situation with no good fixes in sight. Hope they figure out something soon that works for you cause that is a most undesirable position to be in at this point.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're pulling for you!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been there done that. Awww crap it aint fun. Sounds like you've got good care and enough experience to handle it. Find a way to keep a positive attitude, it makes all the difference.

Hospital tip #2: The transporters come to your room to take you to a lab, scan, x-ray or something. Act as if you're completely drugged out, off in space somewhere. On the cart lay on your side in a fetal position moaning a bit. As you're being pushed down the hall ask "Is my butt covered" in a quiet voice so they lean over and ask you to repeat your question. When they say yes, it's covered... you reply quietly "Could you please fix that?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilders, when it comes to luck, you have it all, and unfortunately my friend it has been bad , its just a matter of time before it changes to good, so hang in there, I can feel a change in the air, and its coming you way. I will even have an extra scotch for you out of my lucky scotch bottle. (lucky because there is still some in it)

Regards Woz....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh. No. My dear friend gliders. I am so sorry for your sufferings. I wish I could help.
    You are treated in the best place possible and you are a trooper. A fighter. Hang in there. I hope you will get better soon.
    I pray for you and I ask my sweet dr. Phil to help you from his good place in heaven. Since dr. Phil is in charge, you dont need to worry.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilders - sorry to hear about the bad time you are having. I pray that things will start getting better quickly. Hang in there.
    Karen; dx'ed April 2014

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast