Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't taste or smell!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Can't taste or smell!

It's been about a week, I'm getting over a cold. I can't smell anything, and I can't taste anything it's very frustrating! Has this happened to anyone else?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of us with significant damage in the sinus and nasal area cannot smell or taste well, if at all. I can taste OK but can't smell. My taste is not as good as it was. I feel it is probably permanent, but once in awhile think I catch a whiff of something, when I'm not trying. That gives me a small amount of hope. In your case, if this is a new thing and happened during a cold, it seems more likely that it could improve and you could get those things back. Some do, I think, and I hope you are one of those.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank You very much annekat!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today I can smell, and I don't like it very much
    Not being able to smell has some wonderful advantages, I actually prefer it
    No smelly sweaty people on the train, no smell of rubbish bins, dogs droppings and other bad odours.
    I do miss the smell of roses in the garden and some amazing foods but that's okay.

So how come I can smell today? Today I went to my ENT and he put that horrible scope camera up my nose.

You see, my left nostril has collapsed inside (not saddle outside) and the two walls of the nostril touch together and form skin, joining the nostril closed, which is the reason why I cannot smell. The right nostril, funnily enough, is the one that is affected by WG, not the left.
    When the scope goes in, the ENT has to break a hole through the skin in the left nostril to be able to get a look into the sinus area........Yes, ouch.
    It normally bleeds afterwards, but not today, it is just running like a tap, and the sneezing is driving me crazy. I never have a runny nose.
    Well since the nostril has a hole punched in to it - I can smell through my left nostril.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, it wont last very long, before the nostril closes over again. I have this done every 6 months.

Dorothea, I agree with Anne, in that because of your cold, you will probably be able to smell again once everything has cleared up properly - well let's hope so
    But in the meantime, make the most of your new freedom of not being able to taste the horrible foods or smell the horrible smells
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dorothea, I have that same problem can't smell or taste. It is annoying but know you are not alone. I believe all the sinuse surgerys I have had probably didn't help much ither. I just try and be positive and say there are a lot of things I am glad I can't smell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am one of the lucky ones that can't smell or taste. It's been several years now. I just recently had to redo my upper mouth and jaw area. They had to do bone grafting etc. I am hoping this will help. I have the saddle nose and most of my issues are in my head/ face area. I have 32 stitches in the upper mouth and jaw area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also have lost taste and smell. Yes it is awful because I love food and the beautiful smells around. I can still taste sweet, sour and salt. I still love cooking and when I eat I go by texture and whether it is salty or sweet. One weird thing is that a woman's perfume to me really stinks. I mean, it's probably expensive perfume but to me it is putrid. ��

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry for those of you who've lost both smell and taste, and especially for those with significant damage in the upper mouth and jaw. I have the saddle nose and severe erosion in my nasal cavity, but no problems in the mouth or jaw, for which I'm thankful. As I said above, I've pretty much completely lost smell, with occasional fleeting exceptions. True it's nice not to smell the bad things, but I'd like to know, for example, whether my house smells bad, or whether I do! My taste has lost some of it's intensity, unfortunately. But I'm thankful it's not completely gone, and I definitely make up for some of the loss by enjoying the textures of food, as PJ2010 mentioned above. I think texture in food has always been important to me, as it probably is to most, but now even more so!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PJ2010 View Post
    I mean, it's probably expensive perfume but to me it is putrid. ��
    I've got that too but it predates Wegeners. Perfume = assault, deliberate chemical warfare...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Annekat! It's not fun but I for one live with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast