Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Going out in the Sun

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Going out in the Sun

I have a friend who has recently been diagnosed with sarcoidosis. She was told by her Doctor that she can not go out in the sun because of it, and even on foggy days to wear a high factor sun cream and hat. I thought it was only on certain meds that we were to be extra careful of the sun.
    I am living in Sweden, so don't get much warm weather, but do like to sit out and catch a few rays when I can. Firmly believe it helps with my moods etc. I am currently in remission and off meds. Obviously, I wear a sun factor but just wondering what do you all do, do you try and avoid sitting out etc?.

Thanks.
    Yvonne

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also feel much better in the sun and always book holidays/vacations with sunny destinations in mind. My skin is paper thin in places, most likely due to many years of prednisolone, but I don't avoid the sun completely.
    I would, as you mention, use sun screen. You should still feel the benefit of the sun without the risk, so long as you don't stay out too long in the middle of the day.
    Diagnosed April 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live in Arizona & golf 3 days a week, don't wear sunscreen, only had one run in with skin cancer in 15 years, no ill effects from drugs when I was on them, 'nuff said. LOVE THE HEAT & SUN!!!
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I intentionally go out walking in the sun (when it's there) for 15-20 minutes a day to get some vitamin D!

i'm on Bactrim 3x/week which supposedly causes photosensitivity, but I haven't noticed any problems with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take the normal precautions that I have taken most of my life. Sunscreen when out in blazing sun, but normally nothing but a hat, long pants, and a sport shirt. I rarely wear shorts.

A neat thing about sarcoidosis -- "About half of cases resolve without treatment or can be cured within 12–36 months, and most within five years."
    Sarcoidosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (under the prognosis section)
    Lets hope she has sarcoidosis and not one of the other incurable auto-immune diseases.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been living in a sunny place and no problem with that. I take care of it as a normal person do, using sun screen whem I'll be exposed.