Thread: Each time, the frustration gets worse

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Each time, the frustration gets worse

Hello again everyone,
    I come to you on Day 10 of feeling like I was run over by a truck. I've been feeling off for awhile. I've had a sore throat for over a month now but ... on April 25th, things felt very bad. I had to call in sick for my Sunday April 26th shift because I felt so awful. I drug myself to work on the 27th because there was a stress debriefing for a critical incident I was a part of that I really wanted to go to. I lasted hour at work before having to go home. I was coughing non stop, my chest and back hurt every time I coughed and hurt afterwards. Called the Kaiser advice line and got a phone appointment with a really cool doctor who actually seemed to know Weg's. She told me to go pick up some antibiotics and tessalon pearls immediately to try and get on this. If I wasn't any better in two days I was to call my regular doctor and ask for a chest x-ray and a CT scan.
    Fast forward to two days later, now ... I am in agony in my sinuses. My nose felt like someone was repeatedly yanking a wire brush through it and I thought my eyes were going to pop out of my head and my ears were going to go deaf. I called to get an appointment with my regular doctor (GP not rheumy) and was told she had no available appointments but there was a spot open with a Nurse Practitioner. I was desperate. I'd missed all week of work. So Thursday morning I went to see her.
    That was a horrible experience. She kept skipping right over my disease. I kept telling her that this was exactly how I felt at the beginning of my diagnosis with Wegener's and that I wanted a CT of my sinuses and a chest x-ray. She kept explaining how the flu was bad and they didn't do those tests for sinus infections. She would order me a new antibiotic and a steroid nasal spray. I told her absolutely not. The nasal sprays make my sinuses hurt worse. I couldn't even do a sinus rinse without being in agony. Guess what was waiting at the pharmacy when I picked it up? Yep. A nasal spray. (It's still in the box)
    I went back to work Friday, not feeling 100% but OK. Saturday I was at work again and about 10am ... things started to go south again. I felt awful. I was fighting really hard to stay at work and managed to make it til 5. We had plans to meet with friends for dinner and I really wanted to see my friends after being cooped up for so long.
    On the drive down to see them, I started coughing like crazy again and my chest lit up like someone set fire to them deep inside. I literally sat up and felt the seat because my back was roasting. My seat was cold. I felt heat in every part of my chest, front/back/left and right. Awful. We made it through dinner but then ... as we were walking back to the car ... I realized it was hard to breathe. Like, I could breathe, but man it was hard. I was winded. This isn't normal.
    I was still coughing and having a hard time. Dan told me to call the Kaiser Advice Line and they told me I needed to go to the ER so ... off we went.
    Once again, it wasn't a pleasant ER experience. I felt like I was being brushed off again. I didn't get a breathing treatment, no oxygen. I was left there in a room coughing and in pain. The ER doc said he ordered a chest x-ray and I had to wait for that. I did it and .... everything was clear. I was given a steroidal inhaler that I can only use 3x day.
    So ... he basically said "bronchitis" and referred me back to my GP. I said ... "No."
    So ... now I have a phone appointment with a pulmonologist tomorrow and I emailed and called my rheumy who I had also contacted last week and was told to ride this out til Monday and then let her know. Well ... I"M NOT DOING ANY BETTER.
    I feel like I am wearing a corset. I can't breathe that great. I get winded when I talk, I am light headed like I am not getting enough air. I'm weak. My chest BURNS. I just feel like I am being brushed off by everyone when I know there is something not right at all. This is terrible and a little scary.
    I know my Wegener's symptoms were never all that bad. I know this ... I'm not afraid of dying but ... I feel terrible and NO ONE SEEMS TO WANT TO HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, that's my update.
    I hate my life. I hate everything about my life right now.
    Officially Diagnosed 07/31/2013

My blog: http://nikkinicolealison.com

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am so sorry. I'm here, listening and believing you. you must be exhausted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I just posted on your author page on FB that you're still inspiring me, no matter your page output. But when I wrote that I didn't understand the depth of your despair :-(

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. I am exhausted. I am sitting here at work feeling like I can't breathe. I have made so many itty bitty mistakes. Not in my job ... no ... I'm always on top of that. But I sent out an email asking to get some hours covered on March 15,16 and 17. Yea .. I meant May. I even wrote them down on the sheet to let people sign up as March.
    I also kept saying the wrong thing when talking to my co-worker.
    I don't know what to do and I feel very alone.
    I started crying in the ER becausae I feel like a burden. I don't want to be in this life anymore.
    Officially Diagnosed 07/31/2013

My blog: http://nikkinicolealison.com

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Truly, just hang on. Kaiser has the run-around but that doesn't mean you don't deserve expert care and it doesn't mean you will never get it, either. Tonight you're tired and sad and despairing, and it's a full moon to boot. I hope you have a simple self-care gesture you can use? I think posting on the forum is a great and strong act. Acting on the reality you're not alone and that there are others in this fight...and letting yourself be real also. ((Hugs)) from SoCal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiNicole View Post
    Thanks. I am exhausted. I am sitting here at work feeling like I can't breathe. I have made so many itty bitty mistakes. Not in my job ... no ... I'm always on top of that. But I sent out an email asking to get some hours covered on March 15,16 and 17. Yea .. I meant May. I even wrote them down on the sheet to let people sign up as March.
    I also kept saying the wrong thing when talking to my co-worker.
    I don't know what to do and I feel very alone.
    I started crying in the ER becausae I feel like a burden. I don't want to be in this life anymore.
    This will pass........the other side is worth it but still a bit away. The raw feeling and crying is enough to make anyone unstable. I tried to do college in such a state. It is so impossible to learn new information when at this point of recovery. when this happened I found that my chemistry was so mixed from all the drugs I had to break down and find a doctor to give me drugs for my head. I already had 3 for one tear duct and had seen far more for many other things. Zoloft has some interesting properties to help with the perpetual aching pain all over. The good news is this is what contrast is made of and the good part is about to be so much more worth it.
    Experience is the only way to survive. <3 Rini Orange

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiNicole View Post
    Hello again everyone,
    I come to you on Day 10 of feeling like I was run over by a truck. I've been feeling off for awhile. I've had a sore throat for over a month now but ... on April 25th, things felt very bad. I had to call in sick for my Sunday April 26th shift because I felt so awful. I drug myself to work on the 27th because there was a stress debriefing for a critical incident I was a part of that I really wanted to go to. I lasted hour at work before having to go home. I was coughing non stop, my chest and back hurt every time I coughed and hurt afterwards. Called the Kaiser advice line and got a phone appointment with a really cool doctor who actually seemed to know Weg's. She told me to go pick up some antibiotics and tessalon pearls immediately to try and get on this. If I wasn't any better in two days I was to call my regular doctor and ask for a chest x-ray and a CT scan.
    Fast forward to two days later, now ... I am in agony in my sinuses. My nose felt like someone was repeatedly yanking a wire brush through it and I thought my eyes were going to pop out of my head and my ears were going to go deaf. I called to get an appointment with my regular doctor (GP not rheumy) and was told she had no available appointments but there was a spot open with a Nurse Practitioner. I was desperate. I'd missed all week of work. So Thursday morning I went to see her.
    That was a horrible experience. She kept skipping right over my disease. I kept telling her that this was exactly how I felt at the beginning of my diagnosis with Wegener's and that I wanted a CT of my sinuses and a chest x-ray. She kept explaining how the flu was bad and they didn't do those tests for sinus infections. She would order me a new antibiotic and a steroid nasal spray. I told her absolutely not. The nasal sprays make my sinuses hurt worse. I couldn't even do a sinus rinse without being in agony. Guess what was waiting at the pharmacy when I picked it up? Yep. A nasal spray. (It's still in the box)
    I went back to work Friday, not feeling 100% but OK. Saturday I was at work again and about 10am ... things started to go south again. I felt awful. I was fighting really hard to stay at work and managed to make it til 5. We had plans to meet with friends for dinner and I really wanted to see my friends after being cooped up for so long.
    On the drive down to see them, I started coughing like crazy again and my chest lit up like someone set fire to them deep inside. I literally sat up and felt the seat because my back was roasting. My seat was cold. I felt heat in every part of my chest, front/back/left and right. Awful. We made it through dinner but then ... as we were walking back to the car ... I realized it was hard to breathe. Like, I could breathe, but man it was hard. I was winded. This isn't normal.
    I was still coughing and having a hard time. Dan told me to call the Kaiser Advice Line and they told me I needed to go to the ER so ... off we went.
    Once again, it wasn't a pleasant ER experience. I felt like I was being brushed off again. I didn't get a breathing treatment, no oxygen. I was left there in a room coughing and in pain. The ER doc said he ordered a chest x-ray and I had to wait for that. I did it and .... everything was clear. I was given a steroidal inhaler that I can only use 3x day.
    So ... he basically said "bronchitis" and referred me back to my GP. I said ... "No."
    So ... now I have a phone appointment with a pulmonologist tomorrow and I emailed and called my rheumy who I had also contacted last week and was told to ride this out til Monday and then let her know. Well ... I"M NOT DOING ANY BETTER.
    I feel like I am wearing a corset. I can't breathe that great. I get winded when I talk, I am light headed like I am not getting enough air. I'm weak. My chest BURNS. I just feel like I am being brushed off by everyone when I know there is something not right at all. This is terrible and a little scary.
    I know my Wegener's symptoms were never all that bad. I know this ... I'm not afraid of dying but ... I feel terrible and NO ONE SEEMS TO WANT TO HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, that's my update.
    I hate my life. I hate everything about my life right now.
    I ended up developing asthma after I healed. It took 3+ lung doctors referrals to find someone I was willing to go back to. I got tired of everyone seeing that i am 23 and insisting i got knocked up. I literally start conversations with new doctors by insisting they test me while im in the office just so we can get past their stigma to the real problems. Trust yourself and your experience and don't go back to people who wast your time.
    Experience is the only way to survive. <3 Rini Orange

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Nikki,
    I am so sorry for your agony. it is too much. it seems like wg activity to me. when can you see your wg doc ? and asap ? what meds are you on ?
    I an not sure if this is what you should do, just telling, in the beginning of my wg, when the docs didn't believe me, I just took pred on my own, 30-20-10 mg for my ears and joints. otherwise I couldn't stand it.
    If dr. Phil would have being here now, he would have tell you to go and see wg-expert asap. and he would have also saying sweet things to sheer you up.
    I will ask him in my heart to help you from above.
    Hang in there. sending prayers and hugs. we all love you and care for you.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikki, it is just sickening that you keep getting brushed off with the symptoms you have. I can't understand it and wish you could be with another health plan. I know that is probably not possible, and who knows if another one would be any better. It just makes no sense.

You could have bronchitis, pneumonia, a Wegs flare, a sinus and ear infection, or all of the above at once! You need something big that will start knocking it out fast. You might have to take meds you don't want to take. You are familiar with all the meds, so I won't mention most of them by name. If they have not tried RTX, they need to try it and are being irresponsible by not doing so. But it might take some time to work, so you still need some big stuff that will work fast. This could be big-gun antibiotics as well as some of the heavy hitting WG meds.

Your misery and frustration is understandable and I hope someone will pay attention soon and take some significant action on your behalf. Most of all, I just want you to feel better, but that may not happen without medical professionals getting their heads out of the sand and actually taking care of you. Good luck, and I pray, in my way, for your recovery, soon, from this nightmare.
    Last edited by annekat; 05-06-2015 at 01:49 AM.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I would go sit in the Rheumy's office and tell them that you are not leaving until someone sees you. Maybe, if you are sitting there coughing on all their other patients, you'll get noticed and then get to see someone.

PLEASE DO NOT LET THIS GO!!! You need to be seen, and PLEASE do any and every thing in your power to get in to see a Doc that will treat the WEGENERS!

If I were a betting man, I would put money on the fact that you are probably in the middle of a big flare up right now. This is how I felt almost a year ago and it was a massive flare up!

Be a bulldog and get after your Wegs docs and DEMAND TO BE SEEN--IMMEDIATELY!! PLEASE?!?!

We all hurt for you and need you to feel better!
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast